pain in the tabialis? (Read 560 times)

I've been having some pain lately and need help identifying the cause. It is on the lateral side of the tibia only on my left side. Looks like the tabialis as in this picture in link. http://www.changingshape.com/exercise/musclecharts/frontviewofthehumanlowerleg.asp What could be the cause? Thanks Ruru

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

What kind of pain? When does it occur? What makes it go away? What makes it worse? Have you changed anything lately? Need more info, could be anything.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
        Oops - sorry. The pain is an achy type pain. Starts about 5 minutes into the run and then settles down. Then comes back later in the day. Yesterday I canoed for about 4 hours and the pain was pretty bad in the evening. I am wondering if it is related to the piriformis? Sounds weird but I have had piriformis probs in the past which coincided with similar but not as intense pain. I have been doing ankle exercises lately - would that have contributed?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I have been suffering from tibialis anterior tendonitis since February. The tibialis anterior is the muscle used to "dorsiflex" (flex up) the foot. So it's major purpose when walking or running is to act as a break as the toes are lowered down. It has more work to do when going downhill, which is typically how it gets injured. To cure it, I followed this advice from my podiatrist: 1) ice it immediately after a run 2) strengthen (only slightly) the tibialis anterior. I'd cross my legs (like a woman sitting proper), attach a rubber band between the toes of the top foot and the bottom, and then slower raise and lower the top foot against the resistance. 3) sleep with my feet hanging off the edge of the bed. This sounds dumb but made the biggest difference, because I was having nightly muscle spasms due to my foot being flexed and pressing into the mattress. Of course my pain was not in the muscle proper but in the tendon, so I don't know if this advice will work for you. But I'd back off on the ankle exercises for now until it feels a little better.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...