2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It was kayry, I think Dan (IAmDisappoint ?) did it too, but that was not heat adjustment - it was a sweat run.

Surely a sweat run would help with heat adjustment. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Surely a sweat run would help with heat adjustment. 

That is not a goal of the sweat run...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

They just announced the Hartford marathon will be virtual only this year. Not a big surprise I guess, but still a disappointment. Fingers crossed for Harrisburg and Bucks County....

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

They just announced the Hartford marathon will be virtual only this year. Not a big surprise I guess, but still a disappointment. Fingers crossed for Harrisburg and Bucks County....

It's amazing they still didn't make an announcement on Chicago marathon. Not sure what they are hoping for...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It's amazing they still didn't make an announcement on Chicago marathon. Not sure what they are hoping for...

Well Chicago is a major marathon and London won’t be making a further announcement until 28th July...and it seems like mass gatherings outside isn’t that high risk...so let’s wait and see.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well Chicago is a major marathon and London won’t be making a further announcement until 28th July...and it seems like mass gatherings outside isn’t that high risk...so let’s wait and see.

Hand out facial coverings for everyone to wear.

Provide them with sanitizer at aid stations.

Tell them to stay 6 feet apart.

Make sure there is only one way traffic along the course.

Only allow one family member to spectate in a designated viewing area while maintaining social distancing requirements and facial coverings.

All these things work for grocery stories and ever other social gathering in America. Why does it not work for marathons? I can hop on a bus or subway and travel through Chicago can't I? We're all just here for vacation and want to check out a few neighborhoods and a park downtown. Just make sure we don't let in any Canadians or Europeans since I hear rumors those countries won't let Americans visit due to our handling of COVID 19.

EDIT: oh yeah, agree to have your temperature checked and subject yourself to a COVID 19 test and provide a negative test result from the past week to show you're not infected.  As long as you're under 100.4 on race day and have a negative test I can't imagine why a race couldn't happen. It's good enough to go to the dentist and let them probe around in my mouth, or send my son to daycare then take him to a park.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, totally agree with you Brew....and London has 3 different start lines and could stagger start times and it could easily happen “safely”

If BLM UK can have multiple mass gathering protests without any comeback then please let London Marathon happen which raised over 66 million last year for good causes.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yep, totally agree with you Brew....and London has 3 different start lines and could stagger start times and it could easily happen “safely”

If BLM UK can have multiple mass gathering protests without any comeback then please let London Marathon happen which raised over 66 million last year for good causes.

I just don't understand how I can legally exercise outside without a mask right now, walk around every open location I can find wearing a mask, and even send my son into daycare where he isn't require to wear a mask, but some gathering of the runners can't happen because we'll all get the COVID 19, be required to quarantine for 2 weeks (my work already requires this if I travel out of state for personal reasons) and with a negative test be free and clear of all quarantine requirements other than wearing a mask.

I also don't know why pools were closed when the water has chlorine which is commonly found in bleach. Oh and parks are open again when back in April the surfaces could spread COVID 19 since no one washes their hands. Mind blowing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

That is not a goal of the sweat run...

Agreed.  As I recall, karyry would give himself a heat stress workout 3d before racing...(bundled in warm clothes, aiming for high HR, but minimal leg fatigue)...  and then on race day, his MP HR was lower than normal.   He did this for racing in any weather.

Also, agreed that outdoor racing should be allowed (very low risk).  More waves, outdoor expos, masks while in corrals, etc.  No reason this stuff should get so political.

cinnamon girl

M: 12 mi w/1.5 mi 10k effort 20+ mph wind
                      T: 8 easy 20+ mph wind
                      W: 10.2 mi with 8 x 3 min on roads up/down/flats at 10K effort/3 min easy jog rec 20+ mph wind
                      T: 8.25 easy
                      F: off
                      S: 14 easy 
                      S: 9 easy

Saturday should have been 18 but I wasn't feeling it for a few reasons.

DPS: the name Willow is super cute. You're running strong through it all. 

JT: interesting info on horseflies. They suck. I only have tons of gnats on my runs. Wearing sunglasses takes care of my issues, other than now I feel I look stupid-serious like.

Running Problem

Problem Child

oleg is doing a ‘last runner standing’ event right now. 4.2 miles every hour and he’s done 12 so far. I’m sure he is loving the encouragement on Strava especially later tonight when most of us are sleeping. Strictly posting this to get him more likes and subscribers...on Strava.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, Oleg is going to be the last idiotic Russian standing. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4039408

CalBears

Yep, Oleg is going to be the last idiotic Russian standing. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4039408

Sorry Mikkey - I put 50+ group to shame - only ran 16 laps (67.2 miles) - was totally spent, weak and unmotivated by the end Sad. Just a weak excuse but I ran 8 loops at 100 oF (38 oC) - it took me two loops to realize that if I don't wear a cap and don't use some ice, I am going to die. But even with some ice and a cap it was still pretty tough. Don't know - really disappointed but still glad it's over Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sorry Mikkey - I put 50+ group to shame - only ran 16 laps (67.2 miles) - was totally spent, weak and unmotivated by the end Sad. Just a weak excuse but I ran 8 loops at 100 oF (38 oC) - it took me two loops to realize that if I don't wear a cap and don't use some ice, I am going to die. But even with some ice and a cap it was still pretty tough. Don't know - really disappointed but still glad it's over Smile

Hey, I’m not American so you know I was just taking the piss!  Seriously that was an impressive ridiculous challenge! 👍

Congrats Oleg that's still an amazing distance.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "