Detroit Marathon (Read 498 times)

The Meek One

Hi! I am going to run in my first race on Oct. 21st. I am doing the 1/2 marathon in Detroit Big grin Anyone else going to be there? Also I can run the distance how should I train to shave off a little time?
      I'll be there! Big grin I did the full a couple years ago - so fun. Doing the half this year - really looking forward to it. The only hills I remember were just before the bridge, the bridge and the tunnel, all of which were nothing. Great spectators! Are you from the area or traveling to get here? As far as time saving goes - if you need to pee and are willing to squat, a popular spot that has no spectators is just after the bridge - you'll see people jumping into the bushes. Confused no line! Surprised Training wise... someone else is best to answer you that. Wink

The Meek One

I'm a new Detroiter (I live in Mid-Town). I know Detroit certainly shows its good side for events, I'm excited to take part in the excitement that is Detroit. Thanks for the extra buzz! I am really fired up for the event Cool

Marathonmanleto

Missa, I'll be there. Have run the full 7 times. I'm a homer and a glutten for punishment. If the course is like last year be sure to remove your sunglasses as you come into Ford Field. They route us down a steep, dark tunnel to the finish on the field. Hopefully there will be lights this year. Enjoy.

Think Whirled Peas

Missa, I'll be there. Have run the full 7 times. I'm a homer and a glutten for punishment. If the course is like last year be sure to remove your sunglasses as you come into Ford Field. They route us down a steep, dark tunnel to the finish on the field. Hopefully there will be lights this year. Enjoy.
            I'll be running the 1/2 this year. It's my first race of this distance...I just started running in March of this year and set the Detroit half as a goal after running my first race (a 5k on Memorial Day). I'm REALLY excited for it. Howeva, I'm not sure that we're finishing either the half or the full marathon in Ford Field this year, as the Detroit Ly-downs have a home game that day. Of course, the racers in Ford Field would be the only athletes in the building that day (ok, the visiting team is prolly chocked full of 'em too)... Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Marathonmanleto

Mike, you're correct. I just checked the course map and the finish is at Campus Marsius--that's a good thing. Ford Field was a debacle! Should be a better finish--good luck!

The Meek One

Kitna says 10 wins. Come on give em just one more chance to prove themselves. How can you argue with a one point win over Cinci in thier first exhibition game. Yes Well at the same time Campus Martius is a nice place Smile

Think Whirled Peas

Kitna says 10 wins. Come on give em just one more chance to prove themselves. How can you argue with a one point win over Cinci in thier first exhibition game. Yes Well at the same time Campus Martius is a nice place Smile
                  Yeah, Kitna... Roll eyes I love my Lions, but they will be fortunate to finish with 6 wins this year. I say this every single year, and they still manage to underachieve... I guess based on Joe's comment about the debacle at the finish last year I'm glad it doesn't finish in Ford Field. Originally I was kind of bummed. I thought it would be kinda cool. I guess back in 1999 or 2000 it finished by crossing over home plate at Tiger Stadium. THAT would've been awesome!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I look forward to the day I can change my avatar to the lion... Missa and Mike, you will enjoy the half. It's the best part of the course (over the bridge, Riverside park, thru the tunnel). Sunrise when you're crossing the river is an awesome sight. I kinda liked the Ford Field finish. I am training for a 10/21 marathon but may do Louisville instead of Detroit. Good luck!