'blockers' - people who interrupt who when you are running (Read 1306 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Once I was running along when this guy stopped me and asked me if I had a light for his cigarette?
    Maybe it was one of those guys who threw his cigarette at me (see above) Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I hate when people don't get out of my way on the sidewalk. My run > wherever you are going Big grin
      2009: BQ?
        I usually get people who like to congregate on the boardwalk and leave about 2 inches on either side. I'm ok with going off onto the grass but just the general lack of manners is irritating. Oh and people who move to one side but let their dog and it's leash stretch aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll the way across the boardwalk? yeah. that helps. idiots. only once. only once I have I given in to the urge to throw a shoulder forward and run through a group. These cute little tweeny boppers left me with no where to go in this particular section. There were 3 waves of them coming, 5 across...taking up the entire width of the boardwalk. I threw my shoulder forward and knocked the first chick out of my way and the next three waves made room for me. Evil grin Cool only approached for directions a couple times...I just keep running and point off somewhere...

Jennifer mm#1231

only once have I given in to the urge to throw a shoulder forward and run through a group. These cute little tweeny boppers left me with no where to go in this particular section. There were 3 waves of them coming, 5 across...taking up the entire width of the boardwalk. I threw my shoulder forward and knocked the first chick out of my way and the next three waves made room for me. Evil grin Cool
          Perfect!! Big grin

Michelle

See now I hardly every see people. I however did pass a couple girls running yesterday on what was supposed to be a nice easy SLOW run. Well I have this thing when people are behind me. I saw them cutting through a park to catch up to me (not sure if that was why they were doing it but that's how it felt lol) needless to say I ended doing a progression run Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I threw my shoulder forward and knocked the first chick out of my way and the next three waves made room for me.
              Niiiiiiice Cool
              2009: BQ?
              Mishka-old log

OK...I'm not proud of this...but I can't not tell this story on a thread like this. I'm running in a nice suburban neighborhood, on the left side of the road, at dusk. I hear a loud engine rev from a way's back. I don't turn around, but put all my awareness on the approaching vehicle. Just as it gets near, it slows. I turn to look at it, and as I do, a glass bottle smashes against the curb behind me. The truck speeds away and takes a quick right on the next street a few yards ahead. I also turn right, screaming, throwing my arms in the air, sprinting as fast as my legs will take me. The driver must have seen me running after him and as he reaches the next intersection, stops and starts to turn around. I stop running, and wonder what the hell I'm going to do. I look off to the side of the road. It's the night before garbage day, and, way too conveniently, there's one of those small microwaves that you mount on the under-side of kitchen cabinets...sitting right there on the curb. There's also a large tree in the front part of the yard. I look back to the truck, which is still finishing it's forward/reverse/forward turn-around maneuver. I run over, pick up the microwave, and hide behind the tree. I wait for the truck to approach...going much slower while the driver looks for me. The truck gets about 25 yards from the tree, I sprint out, and slam the microwave into the driver's side door. Not sure how much of a mark it left, but it made a hell of a noise. I sprinted across the street, down a few houses, hopped a couple fences and was probably two streets over before the truck even had a chance to turn around. I could hear the truck speeding through the neighborhood trying to find where I went, but I never did see it again. I'm still conflicted about the whole incident. It was a seriously shitty thing of that driver throw a glass bottle at me while I was running, and I feel I was certainly justified in getting even. But, I probably made it worse for every other that runner that guy ever drove by (or maybe not?). I'm not sure people like that ever learn their lesson.
                  Shocked I can imagine as your running toward the truck as you suddenly think to yourself what am I doing??!!! People suck. You had every right to be angry! How long did it take after all that, before the sound of a truck didn't make you a little nervous?

Michelle

DAMN!!! WHY do people have to be so freaked out like that? I don't blame you for what you did, gawd knows what I would of done.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mishka-old log

Shocked How long did it take after all that, before the sound of a truck didn't make you a little nervous?
                      It was the tail-end of my time there...I moved back to Ohio a couple months later. I didn't run in that neighborhood again. Plenty of forest preserves in the area so I kept to those. Running home from the incident had to be hilarious to a casual observer. I was still three miles from home where it happened. The whole run home my head was spinning in every direction and I hid a few times when I saw anything larger than a regular car in the distance.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Sounds like your bottle throwers and my cigarette throwers should get together and party. Or perhaps, they're actually the same people. In any case, I think your reaction was justified, and more than commensurate with the great harm that could have befallen you had that bottle hit you in the head. Angry In my case, it was daylight, and there were no ยต-waves laying around, so I just high-tailed it out of there!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I the only one who gets far more nervous when it's pick-up trucks approaching...as opposed to sedans or minivans? Maybe it's judgemental on my part, but the guys in pick-up trucks have been the ones to hassle me more than anyone. Oh, and also guys in Bitchin' Camaros. Of course, there was also the a-hole working on his boat in the marina who thought blasting his airhorn as I went by was funny...I almost shat my pants. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

.I almost shat my pants.
                            Nice use of the under-appreciated past tense form of the verb shit. I once spent an entire summer being called "Shat Boy" for reasons best not discussed on a public forum.

Am I the only one who gets far more nervous when it's pick-up trucks approaching...as opposed to sedans or minivans? Maybe it's judgemental on my part, but the guys in pick-up trucks have been the ones to hassle me more than anyone. Oh, and also guys in Bitchin' Camaros. Of course, there was also the a-hole working on his boat in the marina who thought blasting his airhorn as I went by was funny...I almost shat my pants. k
                              Pick up trucks aren't so bad for me, I get really nervous about any type of cargo van. If one pulls up, or stops near me, I pick up my pace and I look right at the driver. What I HATE are motorcycles, Harley's in particular, when the riders have their bikes rigged to be as loud as possible!! Scares me for one when they zip by, but if at a stop sign they rev the bike a gazillion times...probably same mind-set as the Camaro guys. Roll eyes

Michelle

Nice use of the under-appreciated past tense form of the verb shit. I once spent an entire summer being called "Shat Boy" for reasons best not discussed on a public forum.
                                *LOL* Too much!!

Michelle