Marathon During Olympic Opening Ceremonies (Read 223 times)

Tiefsa

Why not?  I think that would be a great idea.

Here's a short article with a video about my idea.

If you don't care to read the article, here are the main points.

1.  Start the marathon in the Olympic Stadium right before the Artistic Program of the Opening Ceremony.

2.  The runners would return during the Parade of Nations and do a lap on the inside of the track on their way to the finish.

3.  The top finisher from the host country would get to light the Olympic Torch (with some assistance in case they are a little tired from the marathon).

What do you think?

Julia1971

1 & 2.  It's probably already enough of a logistical nightmare to put on the opening ceremonies without worrying about all the details that go into organizing/officiating an event.

2.  The Parade of Nations is an event in itself.  Some of those countries have no hope of winning any medals but I like hearing some of the stories about their athletes and I wouldn't want another event to detract from that.

3.  No "too tired" opt out.  If winner can't light the torch in spectacular fashion, 2nd place finisher is declared winner.  Edited to add: I didn't realize you wrote top finisher from host country.  Yeah, no.

Arimathea

Tessa

Men and women together, or separately? If you remember, the 1984 Olympics included the women's marathon (a first for the Olympic Games) finishing in the Coliseum during the opening ceremonies and the men's marathon finishing in the stadium during the closing ceremonies.

Are you proposing having the entire race in the stadium (104 laps of the track? I hope not.) or having the race start, runners do a loop course around the stadium, and then return?

Tiefsa

Men and women together, or separately? If you remember, the 1984 Olympics included the women's marathon (a first for the Olympic Games) finishing in the Coliseum during the opening ceremonies and the men's marathon finishing in the stadium during the closing ceremonies.

Are you proposing having the entire race in the stadium (104 laps of the track? I hope not.) or having the race start, runners do a loop course around the stadium, and then return?

I want it to be similar to the 1984 Olympics.  They should start in the stadium, go out into the city, and return to the stadium for the finish.  This should happen in the opening and closing ceremony.

Julia1971

Why?

I want it to be similar to the 1984 Olympics.  They should start in the stadium, go out into the city, and return to the stadium for the finish.  This should happen in the opening and closing ceremony.

xhristopher

I kinda like it just as it is with the marathon being a capstone event.

Not being an olympian myself, I have to imagine that for most olympic athletes just participating is the pinnacle of their athletic career, and marching in the parade of nations is a big part of that. I'd hate to see runners who might not even finish the event robbed of that experience.

Please don't change it on us Mr. Tief.

Tiefsa

Please don't change it on us Mr. Tief.

I know it won't change.  I just thought it would highlight a great event.  What I would love to see even more than this is Cross Country Running in the Winter Olympics.

xhristopher

I know it won't change.  I just thought it would highlight a great event.  What I would love to see even more than this is Cross Country Running in the Winter Olympics.

Thanks!

I'll take some running events at the winter olympics. Sure! How about snowshoing? I think cyclocross at the winter olympics would be cool too.

Kalsarikännit

, I have to imagine that for most olympic athletes just participating is the pinnacle of their athletic career, and marching in the parade of nations is a big part of that. 

I like this point.

Since we are adding event to the Olympics, I'd like to see the 100k. It was almost added for Mexico City before being shot down.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think cyclocross at the winter olympics would be cool too.

+1 meeeeeellion!!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I vote for Hide and Seek.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I vote for Hide and Seek.

The cyclists play that all the time with their drugs, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.