Motorbike crashes are bad for your training (Read 986 times)

Marylander

Nice to hear you were in your gear and came out of it without any significant injury. Every year as it warms up I get the, "I bet you'll be glad when you don't have to wear all that in a a few weeks", and the "aren't you hot", etc (12 month moto commuter here). I was hit by a car 12 or 13 years ago and landed on my head (er, helmet) and thankfully haven't repeated anything like that since.

Queen of 3rd Place

Nice to hear you were in your gear and came out of it without any significant injury. Every year as it warms up I get the, "I bet you'll be glad when you don't have to wear all that in a a few weeks", and the "aren't you hot", etc (12 month moto commuter here). I was hit by a car 12 or 13 years ago and landed on my head (er, helmet) and thankfully haven't repeated anything like that since.

Goodness I can't imagine landing on my helmet. How was your neck?? I guess you were young?

In the summer I wear light-colored textile gear, it's amazing, but people still say aren't' you hot? Duh, yeah, it's summer! I'd be hot in a bikini! (not that I wear those anymore). 

MTA: tentative 2 mi today felt fine. Time to push. 

Ex runner

I cringe when I see people in flip flops and shorts.   It just gives me the willies.  I have to look away. 

- Anya

"Aren't you hot?"

"Thanks -- I work out."

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

"Aren't you hot?"

"Thanks -- I work out."

Ha!  Good one!

So glad the injuries are on the minor side, Arla.  As mentioned before, this down time will probably work to your advantage, and you'll crush that PR like nobody's business!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

12-week layoff

I cringe when I see people in flip flops and shorts.   It just gives me the willies.  I have to look away. 

My brother teased me unmercifully for wearing jeans/boots/leather vest/gloves on a ride to the beach.  This is after he had been rear-ended at a traffic light.  His bike left skid marks on the car's hood!  (Perhaps there were skid marks elsewhere, also.)  And also after my father was rear-ended, also at a traffic light, just weeks before he was.  They both still ride in shorts and flops. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My brother teased me unmercifully for wearing jeans/boots/leather vest/gloves on a ride to the beach.  This is after he had been rear-ended at a traffic light.  His bike left skid marks on the car's hood!  (Perhaps there were skid marks elsewhere, also.)  And also after my father was rear-ended, also at a traffic light, just weeks before he was.  They both still ride in shorts and flops. 

Sometimes macho = dumb.

Marylander

Goodness I can't imagine landing on my helmet. How was your neck?? I guess you were young?

In the summer I wear light-colored textile gear, it's amazing, but people still say aren't' you hot? Duh, yeah, it's summer! I'd be hot in a bikini! (not that I wear those anymore). 

MTA: tentative 2 mi today felt fine. Time to push. 

My neck seemed ok but I've had vertigo on and off since then. On the other hand I do have arthritis, bone spurs, and disk space narrowing in my neck now. Maybe the crash contributed... Who knows... There was a lot of traffic and apparently my somersault was quite spectacular. It must've been in 96 or 97 so more like 15-16 years ago. Yeah, I was in my late 20s then.

I wear a black aerostich suit (picked black since it doesn't show the road filth as much) most of the time but wear mesh gear in summer. I'm much more likely to park my bike in summer than in <10dF weather. Looking at a olympia stealth suit for summer use...

I gotta remember the "thanks, I work out" thing!