Dogs (and) Mountain bikers (Read 2992 times)

an amazing likeness

The worst is when you surprise the dog and owner from behind. 

Seriously, what is it with dogs these days?  Isn't it a dog's job to stay alert, ears up, nose to the wind and know what.is.going.on at all times? I have snuck up on more dogs on paths and sidewalks, scaring the crap out of them, recently than ever before.  Its like they've turned into the dog version of slacker dope teens with metaphorical doggie pants down around their dog knees.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were old. 

Of course I just watched a show where a bear found a piece of raw chicken that was 1.5 miles away in about 15 minutes.  So yeah... a dog should certainly smell me comming.  Hell, if I stop I smell myself.  That's half the reason I keep running. 

You're right.  I blame the parents.  Most of these dogs come from single parent homes.  And most of them are bitches. 

xhristopher

The mountain bikers may just be in a bad mood as they are frustrated in their search through Flanders for a mountain. 

Just send them off to climb the Koppenberg.
        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If I didn't know better I'd think you were old. 

Of course I just watched a show where a bear found a piece of raw chicken that was 1.5 miles away in about 15 minutes.  So yeah... a dog should certainly smell me comming.  Hell, if I stop I smell myself.  That's half the reason I keep running. 

You're right.  I blame the parents.  Most of these dogs come from single parent homes.  And most of them are bitches. 

Ha, you just gave me an idea for one of those motivational signs that race spectators hold up:  Outrun your stink!

Those runners on multi-use trails that are foolish enough to bring their dog with them are the worst.

(See profile picture.)

In seriousness, people who can't control their dogs drive me batty.  Mountain bikers on my favorite trails (John Bryan State Park) near me have generally been conscientious.  A biker has never ran into me.  A runner wearing headphones, dark clothing, and not wearing a light on the trail at twilight, around a blind corner, has.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Best Present Ever

Seriously, what is it with dogs these days?  Isn't it a dog's job to stay alert, ears up, nose to the wind and know what.is.going.on at all times? I have snuck up on more dogs on paths and sidewalks, scaring the crap out of them, recently than ever before.  Its like they've turned into the dog version of slacker dope teens with metaphorical doggie pants down around their dog knees.

last week i scared two big shepard-ish dogs.  I came around a bend and they charged toward me.  I screamed, their owner was out of view but within hearing and yelled a stop command.  They stopped but were awfully agressive.  When the owner got to me, she was obviously scared, but told me "they are really good dogs.  They haven't ever hurt anyone.  You must have scared them."  On a multi use path full of runners, I scared them by running down the path?  Since my son was pretty severly bitten by our next-door-neighbor's 'nice' dog, I wasn't terrible impressed with her insistance that they are prefectly safe dogs.  And why was she shaking if she was so sure??  And how on earth did I surprise the damn dogs?  I'd been running for miles by the time I met them -- I'm sure people could smell me coming. 

My dog didn't hear the UPS guy yesterday at the door until he got back into his truck to leave.  Normally he hears that truck a block away.  I think the fact that I was giving him a treat at the time affected his hearing.  Perhaps the dogs on the trails are so flipping excited to be playing with each other that they tune out a lot of other forest noises.  Just an idea.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."