Negative Split a 3:15 Marathon (Read 697 times)

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Let's assume ideal conditions. Some sources state that a recovery run should be between 60-70%(138-151); LT between 80-90% (164-177)... I was curious how  McMillians calulations correlates to your actual traiNing/racing  pace.  If you don't use the calculator, then you may not be able to answer my question. If you plug in your recent race time in McMillian's calculator you may be able to answer my question but that race may not have been in ideal conditions.

I understand a bit better now. Thanks. First I can tell you my stats regardless of a calculator... My resting HR is at 44, my max is at 198.

• My Tupelo (hotter) race averaged 170, which is 82% HRR.
    • My Pensacola (cooler) race averaged 164 which is 78% HRR.

My Pfitz LT range is 77-88%  - I usually target 168

My Pfitz MP range is 73-84% - I usually target 162

My Pfitz LR range is 65-78% - I usually target 151

Some MP training runs that averaged around 162 have matched the Pensacola run very closely. I'm sure some hotter runs have matched Tupelo, but it was unusually high. 

Pensacola was close to ideal except some strong wind during a few miles of the race. Tupelo was not ideal... it was hot.

I've not used a calculator to compare training runs... only races. HOWEVER, For my Pensacola race report (on RWOL), a person asked me to post a training run that was similar, so I did. See it here and see the follow-up posts.

I'd be happy to plug in numbers to any calculator if that would help though.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Well, I answer the question I original posted in this thread. I negative split the Houston Marathon. My first half time was 1:38:14 and the second half time was 1:36:20 with a total time of 3:14:35. I didn't think I would make my 3:15 time. My pace was a few seconds slower than what I need to average. I kept it cool and told myself to continue to keep the pace and see what I have after mile 20. I pushed it the last 10K and even ran the last mile close to 6:30 pace when I realized I could BQ. I negative split and BQed on my debut marathon. Feels good emotionally, however, my quads are sore as hell.

bhearn

Congratulations! Well done.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Fantastic job! Well done!

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Well, I answer the question I original posted in this thread. I negative split the Houston Marathon. My first half time was 1:38:14 and the second half time was 1:36:20 with a total time of 3:14:35. I didn't think I would make my 3:15 time. My pace was a few seconds slower than what I need to average. I kept it cool and told myself to continue to keep the pace and see what I have after mile 20. I pushed it the last 10K and even ran the last mile close to 6:30 pace when I realized I could BQ. I negative split and BQed on my debut marathon. Feels good emotionally, however, my quads are sore as hell.

Congratulations! Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Well done!!!  In crappy conditions as well

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice job! The first one doesn't have to be "just to finish". A BQ is awesome and worthy of a special celebration.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CalBears

Really great first marathon time! Congrats!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Turbolegs

I just started watching this movie from the beginning and loved this happy ending !! Fantastic job on achieving your time target and in the way you wanted it to.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Walk-Jogger

Nice! I love it when a plan comes together...

Retired &  Loving It

No more marathons

Congrats- nice race - nice BQ

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Excellent. Are you going to write the race report? I'd like to read what you felt and how you coped with the difficult moments during the course.

It is my dream to reach my BQ (3:10) on my first marathon, but I think it is far beyond my fitness.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

This looks like what people were saying about increasing effort resulting in maintaining pace (except for that final mile, of course!):

SplitTimeDiffmin/mile
                            5K 00:23:15 23:15 07:29
                            10K 00:46:35 23:20 07:30
                            15K 01:09:32 22:57 07:28
                            20K 01:33:06 23:34 07:30
                            HALF 01:38:14 05:08 07:30
                            25K 01:56:29 18:15 07:30
                            30K 02:19:45 23:16 07:30
                            35K 02:42:54 23:09 07:30
                            40K 03:05:40 22:46 07:29
                            Finish Net 03:14:35 08:55 07:26

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Excellent. Are you going to write the race report? I'd like to read what you felt and how you coped with the difficult moments during the course.

It is my dream to reach my BQ (3:10) on my first marathon, but I think it is far beyond my fitness.

I plan to write a report this week. I need to start on it before I forget. By the way, looking at your log, I think you are capable of reaching 3:10 time. My fitness was not as good as yours 4 months ago and I think I could have done a little better yesterday. I think I was conservative the first 20 miles since I was afraid to push it. It was my first marathon and I didn't know what to expect. I can say that I was surprised how easy the first 20 miles was. Almost felt like a normal long run. I was able to push the pace the last 6 miles but was still a little afraid to push too hard until the last mile. Now I know I can push a little harder next time.