Printing course directions? (Read 1496 times)

Edhans

Is it possible to print course directions? I can print the map but it would be helpful to have directions that said "left on maple, right on main, right on 1st Ave", etc.

This would be really helpful for me when I travel and lay out a course in a strange city. I usually wind up doing it manually.

Why wouldn't you be able to print out course directions?

Take the example you just gave and print it.

I have a feeling I'm not understanding the question. (maybe this is why I run in the woods)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        I think Edhans is asking "Could the RA website be enhanced such that a user can create a course using the 'New course' option and then opt to view & print turn-by-turn directions for that course (auto-generated by RA / the google maps API or whatever).

Or maybe they're just asking "Does RA already do this?" to which the answer, as far as I know, is no.  But obviously google maps itself does, after a fashion - it might just take some clicking and dragging to get the exact course you're after.

I'm noboby, who are you?

I think Edhans is asking "Could the RA website be enhanced such that a user can create a course using the 'New course' option and then opt to view & print turn-by-turn directions for that course (auto-generated by RA / the google maps API or whatever).

Or maybe they're just asking "Does RA already do this?" to which the answer, as far as I know, is no.  But obviously google maps itself does, after a fashion - it might just take some clicking and dragging to get the exact course you're after.

In effect he wants RA to behave like mapquest? How about a talking GPS device and then you don't have to even look.  

Hmmm, figured there was something I was missing - and is related to me running mostly through the woods.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Edhans

In effect he wants RA to behave like mapquest? How about a talking GPS device and then you don't have to even look.  

Because not everyone has a GPS device and I don't travel enough to justify the purchase. I am out of town once every few months and plot out a course on runningahead.com to get roughly the distance i want. Then I have to write out my own turn-by-turn directions on paper and carry it with me. Would be much easier if it could be printed.

Or, if the plotted route could be transferred to google maps that would be fine too - could do the turn by turn print there.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I routinely generate courses on RA, then hand-write the turn-by-turn on an index card.  Maybe RA in conjunction with Google could do something of the sort, but running routes are pretty different from driving routes (for me, for sure), and much of my running is on trails, which are often not be as well designated in Google.  Anyway, the hand writing doesn't take long; maybe only a dozen turns, even for a long run.

Hoodoo Guru

Because not everyone has a GPS device and I don't travel enough to justify the purchase. I am out of town once every few months and plot out a course on runningahead.com to get roughly the distance i want. Then I have to write out my own turn-by-turn directions on paper and carry it with me. Would be much easier if it could be printed.

Or, if the plotted route could be transferred to google maps that would be fine too - could do the turn by turn print there.

I know this is heresy, but you could just plot your course on google maps, then print the directions.

The tangents are moot.

A sharpie on the forearm gets the trick done without killing any trees.  Plus its cool when people stare at you because you're reading instructions off your arm -- its like a real-world version of the movie Memento.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

kukabuka

I know this is an old thread, but I haven't seen anything newer with a solution to this issue, so I thought I would post mine.

This is for people with Android phones.  Here's how to transfer the course you generated from RunningAhead to your phone so you can use it to find your way while running.

1. On the page where you are viewing your course, click the GPX button to download a .gpx file of your course.
                      2. Transfer the .gpx file to the SD card on your Android phone.  Any directory will do.  I created a Maps folder on mine.
                      3. Make sure you have the Google My Tracks application installed on your phone.  You will also need a file manager app on your phone.  If you don't have these, you can download them from the Android Market.
                      4. This is the part that is not intuitive.  My Tracks doesn't have any option to open or import a .gpx file.  That's where the file manager comes in.  Use it to browse your SD card, and open the GPX file.  Your phone should prompt you to pick an app to open the .gpx.  Choose "Import into My Tracks".  Then "Show Track".
                      5. Now it's imported into My Tracks, and you can view the course.  Use the "My Location" command in My Tracks and it will use the GPS to show you where you are on the course, and which direction you are going, updating as you go. 

Map mode will be a lot snappier and use less power than satellite mode, so only use satellite mode if you need it.

Hope this helps.