Self Conscious about man boobs (Read 363 times)

running carolina

Keep going! Runners come in all sizes. You can do this!

Thank you, Canadian Meg.    I should know from past coaching experience that players come in all sizes and just because someone "looks like a soccer player" (lean, fast, fit etc) doesn't mean they can play well.  Some of my best players were not your "typical" looking players.  One was a heavy set girl, one was a very thin girl and another was a boy who was very small for his age.  Runners are the same:  different sizes, shapes, abilities, motives and goals.

Thanks again.  

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Pushups every day to control my man boobs. I've had to take a few days off because I have shoulder issues of my own. But lifting weights or pushups should help.

- Andrew

an amazing likeness

Sunday I ran a small half marathon, and today a amateur photographer posted some pictures taken as we turned a corner on the course.

So I'm paging through the photos as the runners come by smiling, waving at the camera. Some are giving thumbs up, others are focused and down to business as they turn. They're floating along, light strides, hair coifed, colorful outfits fluttering in the late summer breeze.

Then comes me. My left leg is just landing in a massive heel strike, my beer gut going left while my upper torso is turning to the right. Legs look tree stumps. My left moob is up, right mood down. I'm soaked through in sweat, my shirt and shorts plastered to my body. Looks like there's snot on my shorts, and my hands are clenched and cranked back in an odd position that looks like I should be rowing a boat. I'm scowling like Churchill looking at Stalin.

But..you know what -- the miles I ran were just as long as the miles everyone else ran. The effort I put into it was honest...I ran the best I could that day. Didn't look good doing it. And, I'm pretty certain no one noticed that I look like a wreck doing it.

Well, except for that photographer who stepped back to open some clearance so I didn't fountain sweat on her as I passed by...

Go for compression shirts and shorts to help out. Dress for your comfort, not those around you.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tomatolover

What Milktruck said! Give thanks your body can do these things and remember that no one looks at you the way that you look at you.

running carolina

Thanks everyone.   You are all so encouraging!  

I did a preliminary walk-around at a local elementary school. I scouted out the route and the area before actually running it. I did break out into a jog  for about 5 minutes. I was wearing my polo shirt, khakis and my Merrell shoes from work.  LOL!

I decided that I prefer to walk and run where there are other people around. I definitely do not like walking  in an open,  empty area.

running carolina

What Milktruck said! Give thanks your body can do these things and remember that no one looks at you the way that you look at you.

Great advice from both of you.  Thank you for the encouragement. 

Not sure where in S Carolina you are, but if you have trails nearby, they could be a great place to run, less stress on your joints (arthritis), cooler than asphalt, tree cover is a bonus, build strength and balance and no one judges you other than the occasional deer or other creatures, who is probably thinking about how you might be harshing its meal time.

Joann Y

Not sure where in S Carolina you are, but if you have trails nearby, they could be a great place to run, less stress on your joints (arthritis), cooler than asphalt, tree cover is a bonus, build strength and balance and no one judges you other than the occasional deer or other creatures, who is probably thinking about how you might be harshing its meal time.

I totally had a deer judging me yesterday. I have no problem dropping my drawers and taking a "break" in the woods if necessary but yesterday was the first time I looked over and saw a deer staring right at me, chewing on some leaves while I was trying to do my business. I tried to stare him down. He beat me on that one but hey, I finished my business and I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight while you are trying to eat your dinner. Take that deer.

Running on trails is nice way to get away from people. Eventually you just have to not give a crap about what everybody else is thinking. You want to run, you run.

Member Since 2008

Do push-ups, alot of them.

jfa

I decided that I prefer to walk and run where there are other people around. I definitely do not like walking  in an open,  empty area.

Yeah well then just accept the fact that very few of us look good while running and no one is really paying attention anyway.

Concentrate on easing into this in such a way that you can do it for a long time.

Forget about appearance and think about form. Good posture. Head as high as it can be. That's what's really important.

Feeling the growl again

I totally had a deer judging me yesterday. I have no problem dropping my drawers and taking a "break" in the woods if necessary but yesterday was the first time I looked over and saw a deer staring right at me, chewing on some leaves while I was trying to do my business. I tried to stare him down. He beat me on that one but hey, I finished my business and I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight while you are trying to eat your dinner. Take that deer.

Running on trails is nice way to get away from people. Eventually you just have to not give a crap about what everybody else is thinking. You want to run, you run.

Great visual.  LOL.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

running metalhead

but if you have trails nearby, they could be a great place to run, less stress on your joints (arthritis), 

Not counting broken toes because of roots, stepping into rocks, falling down hills (accidentally or on purpose), Dutch weekend bikers  and people walking their dogs giving you strange looks because they think that your hydration camelback is a portable dialysis machine. 

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Not counting broken toes because of roots, stepping into rocks, falling down hills (accidentally or on purpose),

not seeing a negative here.  Pick up your feet, learn some balance, strengthen your ankles, focus on your footfall etc. etc.

Adam Gentile

Dedicate yourself to a diet change, exercise regularly or run 3 times a week.  Have patience and you will see results.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I have a larger husband (6'/240ish lbs) and he has been self conscious of his chest and stomach forever but it doesn't stop him from working out. He has found some shirts that fit well across the neck/shoulders and then fall away to make it not as noticeable. But the biggest difference is that he really started lifting heavily and its changed his upper body composition significantly. I know you mentioned arthritis, but I say this because my husband has a torn labrum in his shoulder that causes him significant pain and he has found modifications to his lifts that work for him. When he does pushups or chest presses, he keeps his arms parallel to his body rather than the normal lift with your elbows pointing away from the body. You might be able to research lift modifications that are arthritis friendly.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07