SHOE ADVICE PLEASE? (Read 48 times)

jargey3000

Ok this more about walking than running. 69 yrold male, former runner here. Now do a lot of walking!

Lately suffering from either plantar fasciitis or heel spur. Here are some pics of an old pair of my shoes.You can see the wear on my heels! most of this is from walking not running. Looking for advice/ comments on what i should look for in new shoes to help. Specific brands/ models wud be appreciated.

(oops! how do I insert photos??)

dhuffman63

Trails

Have you seen a doc to rule out the cause? I walk 50ks and found I had to move to a low drop shoe when I developed PF.  I can't wear anything higher than a 5mm drop so mostly I wear zero drop shoes.

jargey3000

I have an upcoming appt.

dhuffman63

Trails

I switch between shoes...the Altra Torin, one of the Hokas (can't remember which one), a one of the Torins.  I go between a 5mm drop to zero drop and cushioned.  I do trails 95% of the time.  Are you overweight?  That can contribute to some issues with the feet.  I'm guessing you do mostly roads?  Some people have found transitioning to barefoot shoe running helps but it's not for everyone and takes time.  A physical therapist might recommend some stretches and the like.  I'm lucky my job lets me wear my running shoes so I'm not forced into uncomfortable shoes.  Oh, and if you have a running store nearby they can make recommendations and most let you try a pair.

When I got PF, the only thing I could run in was Hoka Stinson with an aftermarket stiff insole (Superfeet Green). I think any thick midsole shoe with a rocker profile will work ok; the rocker shape transfers more of the impact to the midfoot.

Remember, PF isn't about heel striking, that's just what hurts most. My PF journey led me to arch support, and especially active arch support (elastic bands). There is a cheap thing called Strutz that almost instantly took away the pain while walking. The pad was a little thick for running, so I cut it out of one and used it just as an elastic band. There are other companies that make just a band with no pad. Because they worked so well for me while I was recovering, I always share whenever someone says they have developed PF. This isn't a cure, it's a band-aid to continue walking/running as the PF heals up and you can go back to regular shoes with regular insoles.

Ontel Strutz Cushioned Arch Supports, Green, 2 Count : Health & Household -  Amazon.com

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying