Imrobable Friday (Read 235 times)

BeeRunB

Just opened the fridge and knocked a sushi magnet off of the door. The thing bounced off the floor and back up to the fridge and stuck itself nearly back to where it was.  Improbable.  I thought to myself "I'm the only one that witnessed this event!' Then it thought "maybe that's ALWAYS true."

It got me thinking about improbable events. Once upon a time at a party, I got an impulse to grab a pencil, stand up, walk about ten feet away from the coffee table, and just hold the pencil as if I was going to toss it, until everyone was watching. I then aimed at a beer bottle an tossed the pencil. It went in! Highly improbable. On of my finest performances. Standing O.

Anyone got any stories of the improbable?

Once I dropped a pencil in school. My reaction time must have been too fast because as the pencil was falling, I was reaching down to pick it up. Well, the pencil landed on the eraser end and rather than falling over on its side like it would 999 times out of a 1000, it was pointing straight up. My hand, still traveling down to pick up the pencil, went right into the lead end of the pencil, and was basically jammed/stuck in my palm. Of course I had to show my class mates, who thought it was pretty cool.  When I pulled the pencil out of my hand, some lead broke off in my hand. I didn't want to get in trouble for screwing off, so I didn't say anything.

That was nearly 40 years ago and I still have a little fragment of lead in my pam that I show people when I share the story.  That lead is going with me to the grave I guess.

Walk-Jogger

Once I dropped a pencil in school. My reaction time must have been too fast because as the pencil was falling, I was reaching down to pick it up. Well, the pencil landed on the eraser end and rather than falling over on its side like it would 999 times out of a 1000, it was pointing straight up. My hand, still traveling down to pick up the pencil, went right into the lead end of the pencil, and was basically jammed/stuck in my palm. Of course I had to show my class mates, who thought it was pretty cool.  When I pulled the pencil out of my hand, some lead broke off in my hand. I didn't want to get in trouble for screwing off, so I didn't say anything.

That was nearly 40 years ago and I still have a little fragment of lead in my pam that I show people when I share the story.  That lead is going with me to the grave I guess.

That nearly makes us twins!  I accidentally jammed a pencil led into my knuckle on my right hand in 9th grade, 45 years ago, and a bit of the lead came off, clearly visible underneath the skin. It's still there today, and If anything it's more visible that ever. That little black dot is my one and only "tattoo".

Retired &  Loving It

BeeRunB

There's something magical about a number 2 pencil.

BeeRunB

My mother once awoke in the middle of the night and said to my Dad "My sister's been in an accident."  About ten minutes later they got a call that said sister (one of 5) had been in one. Now, an uber-skeptic would say that was coincidence. That out of 7 billion people on earth, some will have dreams about siblings being in accidents, and some siblings will get in accidents, so therefore (according to their uber-logic) my mother's experience was pure coincidence. Well, I prefer to think that we don't know everything yet, and "I really don't know exactly what happened" to be an intelligent answer.

joescott

In October 2005 I was out for a run several days after a terrible race at the Twin Cities Marathon.  As I was clipping along under a row of pin oaks an acorn hit the ground just in front of me and bounced perfectly into my hand in stride.  That little acorn made me feel a little better about the future of my running.  I know that's dumb, but it's how I felt at the time.  I carried it home and put it in a drawer in my wardrobe.  I think it must still be there.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

BeeRunB

In October 2005 I was out for a run several days after a terrible race at the Twin Cities Marathon.  As I was clipping along under a row of pin oaks an acorn hit the ground just in front of me and bounced perfectly into my hand in stride.  That little acorn made me feel a little better about the future of my running.  I know that's dumb, but it's how I felt at the time.  I carried it home and put it in a drawer in my wardrobe.  I think it must still be there.

That's beautiful, man. Awesome story.

Still kicking

My first x-wife left me in 1986, and left town. Shortly after that, I joined the military, and there went my long hair. Fast foreword through two more wives. In 2004 my 4th wife and I are looking at wedding rings at a jewelry store in the mall. Not really paying attention to the clerk who walked up, as we were looking down at the rings. My prospective bride asked to see several, and the clerk opens the case and starts the show and tell. I heard a familiar voice and looked up and almost fainted… the clerk was my first x-wife. After regaining my composure, I endured 10 minutes of agony while watching my x-wife showing my prospective bride, wedding rings. Amazingly, after 18 years, and having never seen me with a clean military hair cut, my x-wife never even recognized me. My lovely bride and I had a good laugh over it after we left the store and I told her who that was. Of all the towns and all the malls and all the Jewelry stores. We didn't buy our rings there… and to this day remain happily married.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

BeeRunB

My first x-wife left me in 1986, and left town. Shortly after that, I joined the military, and there went my long hair. Fast foreword through two more wives. In 2004 my 4th wife and I are looking at wedding rings at a jewelry store in the mall. Not really paying attention to the clerk who walked up, as we were looking down at the rings. My prospective bride asked to see several, and the clerk opens the case and starts the show and tell. I heard a familiar voice and looked up and almost fainted… the clerk was my first x-wife. After regaining my composure, I endured 10 minutes of agony while watching my x-wife showing my prospective bride, wedding rings. Amazingly, after 18 years, and having never seen me with a clean military hair cut, my x-wife never even recognized me. My lovely bride and I had a good laugh over it after we left the store and I told her who that was. Of all the towns and all the malls and all the Jewelry stores. We didn't buy our rings there… and to this day remain happily married.

Wow! Awesome story. 

Wing

Joggaholic

That was nearly 40 30 years ago and I still have a little fragment of lead in my pam that I show people when I share the story.  That lead is going with me to the grave I guess.

I am just going to quote you. You saved me a lot of typing. I can still see a tiny grey dot inside my left palm.

Chris Pinney

That nearly makes us twins!  I accidentally jammed a pencil led into my knuckle on my right hand in 9th grade, 45 years ago, and a bit of the lead came off, clearly visible underneath the skin. It's still there today, and If anything it's more visible that ever. That little black dot is my one and only "tattoo".

apparently this is not an improbable event. I have the same thing in the little web between my index and middle finger.

BeeRunB

Lead implants. The number 2 method of tracking people by aliens and the shadow government.

rmcj001

I wouldn't worry, if they're tracking lead you safe since pencils are made with graphite...

Ray

Fanilow

Lead implants. The number 2 method of tracking people by aliens and the shadow government.

So if you haven't been stabbed by a rouge pencil, does that mean you are an alien?

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

BeeRunB

So if you haven't been stabbed by a rouge pencil, does that mean you are an alien?

I've been pencil lead free my whole life, and have always felt not of this earth. Reports are that use of blue pencil will protect you from being picked up by alien scanners and copying equipment.