Is it good to run everyday or to have rest days? (Read 3841 times)

Loves the outdoors

BCR is right about Streaks being addictive. In many ways I wish I hadn't started mine as I just can't let it go now. It is motivating though.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Jess Causley

What I do think you should do is build up your long run 2 weeks say 15km, 17km and then step back a week to 11km.  Then you build up another two weeks 17km, 19km and then step back to 15km.  It is good to give you body a rest. 

I like that idea. Thank you so much!

Prince of Fatness

I've done the streak thing and the problem is it becomes very addictive.  You may have a 200 day streak going and have the flu like I did and go out like a knucklehead and run that day.  I run almost everyday now because my body has morphed to that and seems to like it.  Plus I want to get faster and this allows me to get more miles in.  If you truly want to just run the half then run 3-4 days a week with everyday being easy and then run a long run on the weekend. 

Counter argument.  Disclaimer:  I was a 5 day a week runner for a very long time until about 2 years ago.

I'll argue that running every day will keep you from pushing too hard.  Why?  Because you won't have to try to cram a two or three runs into one to hit an arbitrary number.  You have seven days to hit your weekly goals.  Running every day has kept me from tacking on another half hour to a run when my body really doesn't want to do it.

I plan to run every day.  It doesn't always happen.  I've taken 8 days off this year, which I am guessing is a day off every 10 or 11 days.  Some days life got in the way, others I just wasn't motivated.  Whatever.

I have tried it both ways, and have found that running every day works better.  The key is being disciplined and allocating recovery days in which you run at a leisurely pace.  I am guessing that most who say they need to take days off don't run their easy days easy enough.

Not at it at all. 

I have tried it both ways, and have found that running every day works better.  The key is being disciplined and allocating recovery days in which you run at a leisurely pace.  I am guessing that most who say they need to take days off don't run their easy days easy enough.

You cant tell it by looking at my log right now, but I am an advocate of running every day....a few out side issues have gotten in my way over the past few weeks but its not unusual for me to go 30 to 50 days without taking a day off......and i think what MRPHinNJ said is right........running easy recovery days is the key to success but a lot of runners dont do that and then need a day off because they are tired or sore or both.....

Streaking --- I know people that do that and have a friend thats close to 2 years without missing a single day and I know some people have done a lot more than that.....BUT, I just dont get it.   Sometimes you just need to take a day off for any number of reason and you should never feel badly about it..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ojo

For me, the best part of running every day is that I seem to need less recovery time after longer races.  Granted I am slow but I find my body can handle so much more -- just be sure to listen to cues that you might need to do a shorter run than planned if your body needs a "rest".

Sara

MM #2929