The Boston Marathon incident has brought me back to running (Read 282 times)

prodiro

I was three blocks from the finish line when it happened, but it doesn't really feel real to me either. I didn't hear it, and only found out what happened by Internet and TV. When I went to a peace rally at Boston Common, though, suddenly it was more tangible.

Oh damn...glad you weren't closer to the blast!

prodiro

If you're 25 and you ran high school cross country its not crazy to think you can BQ this year in your first try. I decided at age 30 after not really running at all in my 20's that that was the year I was going to qualify for and run the Boston marathon. It was humbling, but I made it, barely. It almost killed me and back then the qualifying time was 3:10 not 3:05 (and I only made it by 20 seconds) but you're a whole 5 years younger. I thought I would just run my qualifier, run my 1 Boston to say I'd done and that would be that.

But then a funny thing happened...I got hooked.

But listen to bhearn. It will most likely be a lot harder than you can imagine right now. I'll second Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathonig as well.

Well once I start training, we'll see what happens!

keeponrunning

Listen to Bhearn.  I only wish a BQ was a plausible reality for me right now.  (maybe someday, when I'm faster and the age standards are more gracious).   Good luck in your training, here's to the highest goal, staying injury free!  Smile

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Qualifying for Boston is a goal you and I share.  I'm about 2 years deep in running training.  I am 29, and have decent speed (19:10 5k...just at the cusp of BQ according to pace calculators).  I don't believe I can run a 3:05 marathon yet.  I don't want to discourage you from your goal, but I believe that being realistic about your abilities is a crucial part of training.  You may be speedier  and may take to the training better than I have.  I'm going through a similar process as BHearn described of building to 50-55 miles per week, which has been much more difficult than building to 45.  I have no doubt that if I continue training for another year or 2...I will be where I need to be to BQ.  That's a total of 3-4 years training from someone who started with "faster than many" speed.  The best advice I got (also on these forums) was "do the training first, then set a goal time".  Again, I'm not trying to be discouraging...I liked your post and I am pulling for you!  My recommendation is to do what you can in the short term...but don't get your hopes so high that you you want to stop running if you don't meet your immediate goal.  If you play your cards right, you could have a 30+ year running career...don't build yourself up so big about Boston that you'd be tempted to stop if you did not meet the goal in year 1.  Part of the prestige of qualifying for Boston is that it is a feat that most people can't do without years of training.  (Please note that there are some who can qualify with minimal training...it is possible)

Best of Luck!

James

**Ask me about streaking**

Imminent Catastrophe

I've found that 50 mpw was the threshold that got me in as well.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

dallison

registered pw

Good luck.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

in your goal setting...  I would start with a beinner marathon runner plan level 1, maybe Hal Higdon or one of those guys.  It will get you to the finish line safely but nowhere near the time you want. Recover from this and then start working on time and making your pace better.

I went from running no more than one mile in my whole life unitl 7 months ago. Now I've completed a marathon, I've done 3-4 milers in the 6 min paces, and recently my longer runs are dropping closer to Boston Qualifier pace.  I am hoping I can run 2 marathons this year and one of them better get me to Boston in 2014!!!  I made a series of videos which show me following a common marathon training program.  "Wolfwalker23" channel on youtube and they are all the "first time marathon runner vids" .  There might be something in those that will keep you safe. I overtrained and paid the price!!!

Anyways my final advice, just start slow but safely finish a marathon and recover. Then go FAST and get that boston qualifier!@!!!!  Good luck man

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yea I did figure there's probably a reason people describe a BQ as a serious achievement in itself!  And yea it does sound like this year probably won't be possible...which is a shame given the significance.

Anyway, I'll be pretty damn pleased with myself if I even complete the BQ marathon!  I'll definitely order that book and read up.  If at all possible I'll try to train like I'm aiming for a BQ - and no worries if I totally miss the mark.  I'll just be more prepared for next year.

Also, like you said, I'll be doing smaller races in between for sure.

I appreciate the tips!

Whether or  not this is the year for you to qualify,  there is plenty of significance in the fact that you're resuming running in support of Boston.  Good luck!

prodiro

Whether or  not this is the year for you to qualify,  there is plenty of significance in the fact that you're resuming running in support of Boston.  Good luck!

I like this sentiment Smile

I also appreciate all the responses!  Wolfwalker made a point that definitely makes sense to me in regards to the pace of my first marathon.  It does make sense to me that it would be potentially crazy to try to run it at a maximum pace from start to finish.

I think I'll be pretty damn pleased with myself if I can even complete a marathon in 6 months Smile

prodiro

Just went out for my first run.  Yup I'm a bit out of shape, but not a wreck...I made it for a little less than 2 miles.  Against my better judgement, I had just had dinner a couple hours prior...I just couldn't wait until tomorrow though lol.  I bet tomorrow when I haven't worked a full day and recently ate a meal,  I'll be able to do 3 miles.

I feel like it wasn't a bad start though!

bhearn

I also appreciate all the responses!  Wolfwalker made a point that definitely makes sense to me in regards to the pace of my first marathon.  It does make sense to me that it would be potentially crazy to try to run it at a maximum pace from start to finish.

I think I'll be pretty damn pleased with myself if I can even complete a marathon in 6 months Smile

In an ideal world, you might start with a beginner marathon plan, just finish your first one, then think about time for your next one.

But if you want any shot at a BQ for 2014, I don't think that course is an option for you. You don't have time to get in two complete training + marathon cycles before September, even if you started training for the warm-up marathon today. The only way you have a shot, IMO, is to start with shorter races, gradually ramp up mileage, and then start in on a solid marathon training program that will get you to a goal BQ race late August / early September.

As Wolfwalker points out, there is risk of overtraining, and you have to be aware of that, and also odds are probably stacked against you anyway. But it's not impossible.

prodiro

I'd say unless I see some sort of crazy improvement over the next couple weeks, I think my goal will be to simply complete the bay state marathon (along with a couple smaller races in between).  From couch to marathon in 6 months sounds like a pretty cool achievement to me.

I think from there I'll shoot for BQ 2015...I'll "settle" for that :P