Akron Half/Full Marathon 9/26...offline hangout? (Read 1296 times)

Skooter 3.0

Ok...it seems like a lot of us on here surround Ohio, other than the large Nashville based swampy contingent...and I'd like to meet some of y'all!  I've got a sizable KY crew going up to Akron to run the Half, and I certainly wouldn't discourage full runners, but I think a half would be a lot easier and more of an excuse just to hang afterwards without having to recuperate. 

Sooooo....anyone interested in running a half and getting some beers?

Goals?

I might run the half at Akron.  Still trying to decide between Akron or Cleveland Clinic river run (which is 2 weeks earlier) and more ideal timewise for my 10/18 (Columbus) marathon.

I like the idea of a bigger race at Akron and is a tougher course.  The CCRR is a net downhill (point to Point) through metroparks folloing the rocky river and a nice scenic run and ran there last year.  One downside is a smaller field.

i was leaning towards CCRR, but if we get some RAers commit to akron I will flip.

One note is akron has some sweet shirts (half)/ jackets (full) for their shirt give aways and nicest I have seen.  I saw them at Cleveland Expo and the Marathon get a nice Brooks Winter running jacket with a nice logo (Would say 45 - 50 retail which aint bad for 65 - 70 fee and the Half get a nice long sleeve real tech shirt not like some cheapo pretend tech shirts

Come to think of it ... that lady gave me a $10 special code coupon because said I was planning on running Columbus but have to sign up by june 1.   Damn it I am in Skootr.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Skooter 3.0

Me too! (re: $10 off coupon) And- RAD! It'll be awesome....and you're right about the sweet swag....you get an awesome tech shirt and tons of cool extras, plus it's an olympic style finish, which should be fun as hell!

The guy also told me that it's very spectator friendly if you have non-runners coming with you as the course loops in a way that they can see you at miles 1, 4, 7 and 10 with minimal walking.

So:

Skootr

BuckeyeChamp

Who else?

Goals?

They changed the half course and just released new map

http://www.akronmarathon.org/Data/Sites/13/siteImages/Road%20Runner%20Akron%20Half%20Marathon%20Map%202008.pdf

Looks like could see 1, 2, 11 and 13 pretty easily.  New course runs with full the first 11 then break for 2 mile out/back on a new river tow path before finishing at akron aeros stadium.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

De-slacking in progress

I was planning on running Akron this year but the State of Ohio Unemployment Compensation system tells me that funds are too limited to enter races at this point .

Akron has been voted as one of the top ten in swag giveaways for the $$$ spent.

Have a great race. Dang it- Akron is only 45 mins from where I live. Worked there until Feb 2009. Will be there next year hopefully.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Skooter 3.0

That is a bit different, but 1, 2 and 11 are good enough for me. Really, on a half, I just like to see a friend once....nothing like the support you need on a full.

Goals?

Skooter 3.0

Bummer slaptear, but we understand. If anything changes, we'd love to see you there!

Goals?

Old, Slow, Happy

I might be interested.  One of my sons lives in Akron.  The marathon route goes right past his house in the valley.  My older son (RustinSPE in RunningAhead) finished 8th overall in the 2nd Akron Marathon.  I'm recovering from a number of injuries and just getting restarted.  I could not run a 1/2 yet, but maybe I can by then.  Hope to see you there.
                    I might be interested.  One of my sons lives in Akron.  The marathon route goes right past his house in the valley.  My older son (RustinSPE in RunningAhead) finished 8th overall in the 2nd Akron Marathon.  I'm recovering from a number of injuries and just getting restarted.  I could not run a 1/2 yet, but maybe I can by then.  Hope to see you there.

They also have quite a bit of Relay Runners (at least more than I have seen in a normal marathon) if that helps

5-Person Relay

Relay Point

Leg

Miles

Point #1

First

0 mile/Start

Point #2

Second

3.5 mile/High St.

Point #3

Third

9.2 mile/Brown St.

Point #4

Fourth

15.5 mile/Portage Path

Point #5

Fifth

18.6/Revere Rd.

I think also a 2 - Person Relay based on last years results and they have a team maker function to help form teams if you need additional members.

Finishers:

Half -- 1578

Full -- 1585

5 Relay -- 853 teams

2 Relay -- 90 teams

So  like 4100 equivelant runners for the Half (ie - that is how many fill be on the course for 1st half) and of which  2500 are for for full.

Free kids race - 1k and each kid gets medal and tshirt for free (Cleveland charged like $10 - 15 for this).

Here is the Brooks Jacket for Marathoners:

compared to the crappy "tech tshirts: at Columbus ... Not too mention they only had Mediums by Saturday at noon despite ordering large.  I have gotten better shirts at both my 10 milers and even one 5 miler.

That is a bit different, but 1, 2 and 11 are good enough for me. Really, on a half, I just like to see a friend once....nothing like the support you need on a full.

My bad that was last years course and new course they have description and map coming.   So your miles are probably correct.  Only odd part is Full / half combined for 11 miles and then Half splits (in their description that even say may confuse people) and halfers go off 1.5 - 2 miles and then back onto the end of marathon course last .5 mile to finish at stadium.

Skooter 3.0

BUMP!

I officially registered today...any more people in? I have a $10 off discount code that y'all could try and use if you want....just send me a PM and we'll go from there...it'd be awesome to have a strong RA presence at this race!

Goals?

BUMP!

I officially registered today...any more people in? I have a $10 off discount code that y'all could try and use if you want....just send me a PM and we'll go from there...it'd be awesome to have a strong RA presence at this race!

Skooter,

I am still in and pretty sure Mr. Inertia is running half as we have discussed training and possible sub 1:40 @ Akron.  Also Roots said he is pace leader for the 3:30 group, which may work out for me depending on how training goes a 1:45 half is probably more reasonable. 

Are you running the Half or Full?  What Timeframe shooting for?  Are you driving up race morning or staying over Friday night?  Its about 1 hr drive for me and 7:00AM start will make for an early wakeup if I drive down in morning.

MTA ------

just checked out your log and you have been hitting some pretty good milage weeks last month and based on nice 5k last month I would think you would knock quite a bit off your Half and really the Full marathon times.

Ok another bump.

I think we have a few runners: 

BuckeyeChamp -- Half     1:55:00  After last weeks 1:46:39 @ Erie just planning a MP training run with Columbus Marathon only 3 weeks out(8:35 - 40 pace and see how it feels at the end to kick it up last 5k??) 

Skootermbg  -- Half          Original sub 2:00 but now shooting for 1:50 - 55 and two of us will be running together.

Mr Inertia -- Half                Taking a stab at sub 1:40  (Good Luck)

Poison Ivy -- Full                Easy -- Training Run

Roots  -- Full                       I think was planning on being pace team leader for 3:30 group. 

Looks like weather may be warming up a bit into upper 70's, but with nightime lows in mid - upper 50's and 7:00AM start should defintly be good for the half and maybe a little warm for end of the full.

Bib #'s:

If you get a chance Friday post with your Bib #'s ... Also get customized Bib and I will be Buckeye.

Skooter 3.0

Bring it, punks! J/K...Buckeye- we're gonna slay this race.

Goals?

Skooter 3.0

Goals?