Dealing with njury without drugs (Read 801 times)

Healthy eating, rest, and hydration are probably the three most important ways to combat inflammation. Most people don't eat, rest, or hydrate well.

sincerely silly

Why must pain be treated at all? 

Also pain is a result of something, like inflammation as GGW has mentioned and otc drugs like ibuprofen are meant to help along with the pain.  Helped me a ton in the past with knee and shoulder problems.  Not that I don't respect your respect for your liver etc, OP!  I also have my doubts about how doctors will just tell you to take them like candy for 10 days or more.  

Mainly the convo went like this once:

me: what do you suggest?

doc: have you been taking ibuprofen?

me: yes

doc: take more of it.  or sometimes adding aleve or switching to it can help.

(don't you want to know how much I've already taken?...)

I like icing my injuries religiously after exercise.  watch some TV with ice packs on my knees.  feel baller that I need it. :-)

shin splints are my nemesis

xor

i don't know where turmeric comes from

tumer.

Enjoy your indian food.

I've been dealing with some bad knee pain for a month now due to knee cap tracking / weak quads on left leg.  Anyway, the knee didn't start showing drastic improvement until I started using a heating pad right after icing.  Before I would just ice 4 times a day and now I'm doing the icing/heating combo.  Not sure if that is the difference, but that was the only change I've made within the last two weeks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also pain is a result of something, like inflammation

So treat the something, not the pain.

i didnt stick with my pain medication for my back issue for too long. They make me feel like general crap, and if Im feeling better, I dont know if its the medication or if my back was getting better. I got off the meds, and really didnt feel any more pain and felt more alert.

Along for the Ride

You can buy it straight from Hammer, if'n you want.

It is Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and "other stuff" (tumeric, yucca, etc).  They have ingrediment/nutrition info on the site.

(I do not use it; just sharing info)

Thanks SRL! In addition it has Devil's Claw extract in it. 

Devil's Claw is a South African herb containing substances called iridoid glycosides that have anti-inflammatory properties. It is also purported to help relieve mild stomach upset.

My sister-in-law was a pharmacy tech in Germany and has since studied biology. She mentioned Devil's claw as a very powerful anti inflammatory when our dog was limping and had a lot of hip pain. Too many miles on the dog, mostly easy. She actually has hip dysplasia and pretty grim looking x-rays. The secret is to keep her trim and well exercised. The supplement we found containing said Devil's Claw extract worked wonders. The supplement is called "In Clover", is for pets only but has a similar composition of ingredients like the "Tissue Rejuvenator". We don't give it all the time; just when she is painful again. This has worked well for about 4 years now.

I agree with Trent's statement that these nutritional supplements are not tested like medications. But it seems to work, and maybe a little of placebo effect is a good thing? I have noticed over time that the germans are much more into their nature remedies than we are in the States. And of course us tree-huggers in the Pacific Northwest are into the natural way of dealing with things too (without wanting to offend anyone). 

Oh, and this supplement can't be a crapshoot. Remember? It is also purported to help relieve mild stomach upset.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

sincerely silly

So treat the something, not the pain.

Well, that's what ends up being treated with nsaids like advil (ibuprofen) or aleve (naproxen) because that are also anti-inflammatories.  I wonder if there are anti-inflammatories that don't relieve pain?  I've always wondered why they relieve pain, inflammation, and fever all at once!  Anyway, I don't know which is the treated cause and which is the effect if there is a specific relationship between pain and inflammation.

I tend not to take painkillers unless I know the cause of the pain first, so that's a lot of headaches for me!

sincerely silly

I've been dealing with some bad knee pain for a month now due to knee cap tracking / weak quads on left leg.  Anyway, the knee didn't start showing drastic improvement until I started using a heating pad right after icing.  Before I would just ice 4 times a day and now I'm doing the icing/heating combo.  Not sure if that is the difference, but that was the only change I've made within the last two weeks.

It's true...I think heating after icing (as long as it's a chronic/old injury and not a new one within 48 hours I think) can only do good things as it increases circulation and healing.  To each injury their own!  I usually don't want to risk causing more swelling by the increased blood flow depending on the problem though.  

Sorry I'm rambly today.  Lots of caffeine!

xor

I'm something.

And I could use a treat.