Few Questions (Read 869 times)

II Run II

1) I know you're supposed to slow down if the pace is too difficult, but I'm just wondering how significant is the difference between a 7:30 and 8:00 mile pace (for long distances, 5+) when training?  And what about 7:00 and 8:00?

2) Is it possible to drop from a 2:20 to a sub-2:05 in 5 months (3 of which will be during the track season)?  If so, any general tips to maximize the possibility of that happening?

related... what about 5:30 to sub-5:00?

Thanks for your help.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

How long you been running what is your 200 and 400 time

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

II Run II

I have been running for 3 years, and I'm not really sure what my 200/400 times are.  (only ran 800, 1600, and 3200)

CaptainKirk

More info would be helpful.

Assuming your mile time is about 5:30, then the difference between 7:30 and 8:00 can be significant. That's probably the threshold area for you for when a run starts to get hard.

Going from 5:30 to 5:00 or 2:20 to 2:05 in 5 months would be difficult for someone already with a GOOD 3 years of training. If those 3 years were really spotty and not much improvement was made, then that might be possible in 5 months of dedicated work.

1) I know you're supposed to slow down if the pace is too difficult, but I'm just wondering how significant is the difference between a 7:30 and 8:00 mile pace (for long distances, 5+) when training?  And what about 7:00 and 8:00?

2) Is it possible to drop from a 2:20 to a sub-2:05 in 5 months (3 of which will be during the track season)?  If so, any general tips to maximize the possibility of that happening?

related... what about 5:30 to sub-5:00?

Thanks for your help.

You might be overthinking a bit with question 1.  Your easy runs should be easy and your hard runs should be hard.  Sometimes an easy run might be slow and sometimes it might be quick.  Easy runs are very important but only if you keep them easy and that's relative.  Hard runs are also very important but only if you keep them hard.  And running a lot of easy miles means you can run harder on hard days because you've trained your body to handle an increased workload.  Confusing, huh?

And certainly a 15 second PR in the 800m in one season is possible.  Tips?  Run a lot.  Push yourself.  Be quick but don't hurry.  Oh, and don't get hurt but if you think about not getting hurt then you won't make it.

I'm confused how you've been racing 800m but don't know your 200/400 times as those workouts are a foundation to an 800m.  Good luck though.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

CalBears

I think TC meant going from 2:20 to 2:05 in HM and going from 5:30 to 5:00 in marathon. Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

msmrow

I thought he meant 2:20 to 2:05 in a half and 5:30 to 5:00 for one mile.  but that doesn't seem to make any sense so I like the PP interpretation better: a half marathon time and a full marathon time.

I think cutting down the full time would be easier than the half, considering they are corresponding times.  If you can run 2:20 for a half, you should be able to reasonably run a 5:10 for a full, if you train well and have good conditions.  IMO.  Getting down to a 5:00 may be harder than just trimming down the time in general.

Resident Historian

It's HS Track

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How old are you? You've been running for 3 years, but how formal and structured was your training? If you're still young and growing rapidly, you could make significant improvements. If you're 17-18 and been running HS track and xc for 3 years it's less likely you can make that kind of improvement in 5 months. That doesn't mean you can't eventually. My HS PBs were 2:21.7 and 5:22 but when I picked up running again in my early 20s I eventually ran 2:03 and 4:41.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Why is it sideways?

Tips?  Run a lot.  Push yourself.  Be quick but don't hurry.  Oh, and don't get hurt but if you think about not getting hurt then you won't make it.

nice