badges for achievements (Read 687 times)

npaden

I think there are too many options on a general running site like this.

Maybe a badge or star for sub 4 marathon, sub 3:30, sub 3:00?  What about the HM? 10K? 5K?  1 mile? Do you get something if you run 10 marathons?  What about 10 5Ks?  20 5Ks?  What if you run one of every race, but not a bunch of any specific distance?  What about 2,000 miles in a year?  Seems like it would be confusing and some folks would end up with so many badges or stars it would be hard to make a spot big enough to display them all!

I like just clicking on people's log and seeing if they back up what they are saying with what they are doing in their log.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bhearn

if i earn an award for pestering a large nocturnal weaselesque animal, i get the.....

Better, we need one for awarding a badge to someone who pesters a large nocturnal weaselesque animal.

eric :)

I've been thinking about this feature a lot (a hectare?) lately.  There are 3 challenges in adding this feature:

• The amount of processing needed to determine the earned badge is computationally complex.  What happens if you recorded a marathon and subsequently issued a first marathon badge, then changed the workout to a 5k instead?  Every time a workout is modified, the system has to recheck all badges, which could get very expensive.
        • Coming up with badge worthy achievements.  As npaden said, where do you draw the line?
        • Coming up with badges.  I'm not a graphic designer.  Creating icons and images take me much longer than writing code.

I like badges in that they motivates users and keep them addicted to the site.  Many websites employ this technique (join date, post count, stars, thumb ups, badges) so from a business standpoint, it makes sense.  From a skeptical view point, it's gimmicky.

Tiefsa

I've been thinking about this feature a lot (a hectare?) lately.  There are 3 challenges in adding this feature:

• The amount of processing needed to determine the earned badge is computationally complex.  What happens if you recorded a marathon and subsequently issued a first marathon badge, then changed the workout to a 5k instead?  Every time a workout is modified, the system has to recheck all badges, which could get very expensive.
          • Coming up with badge worthy achievements.  As npaden said, where do you draw the line?
          • Coming up with badges.  I'm not a graphic designer.  Creating icons and images take me much longer than writing code.

I like badges in that they motivates users and keep them addicted to the site.  Many websites employ this technique (join date, post count, stars, thumb ups, badges) so from a business standpoint, it makes sense.  From a skeptical view point, it's gimmicky.

I bet someone here could come up with the graphics real quick.  As for the code, don't do that.  Instead maybe put an honor system in place. Have all the graphics available and then if you do something badge worthy, just add it to your training log as needed.

From a skeptical view point, it's gimmicky.

And--lets be honest--doesn't this place already too closely resemble kindergarten?

Runners run

MrH

Member since ... # posts ... # stars/thumbs up, are all useful indicators.

Others could be selected by the user via an honor system. Determining what's worthy is in the eye of the beholder. On another forum I have more than 50 badges awarded (I just checked), only a handful really are meaningful to me. in any way. Maybe with a trophy case where the user  could show their top, say, six badges.

Have the crowd come up with designs.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

And--lets be honest--doesn't this place already too closely resemble kindergarten?

There could be a new revenue opportunity in a RunningAhead custom Dri-Fit training shirt that highlight your "accomplishments".

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I like just clicking on people's log and seeing if they back up what they are saying with what they are doing in their log.

+1

But if it is a favorable move for eric smiley face...

steph  

Feeling the growl again

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges...."

It is kind of gimmicky.  And I'm sure some subset of people would like/be motivated by them.  Perhaps you'd need a poll to gauge how seriously people are interested in this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This idea really appeals to my inner Girl Scout.  Smile  Sounds complicated, though.

xor

I would give you a gold star. And a Wink.

WINKIE!  Grrrrrr

This idea could be ultra complex, but it really doesn't have to be.  Or it can be.  It is interesting to see thoughts around what the badges are about.  To some, they seem to be running specific.... so they'd be built from one's running log.  To others, they are message board specific... so they might be built from some data that may or may not currently be collected (and certainly isn't displayed).

I don't get the weasel reference.  Pop.

MrH

The process is the goal.

xhristopher

I've been doing Strava for entertainment and have been collecting the running badges, well, because they are there...

Anyway, I think the best thing badges could offer RA would be sponsor $$ for Eric. For example, I earned the badge below this fall and I've got to imagine there was a business arrangement between North Face and Strava.

Soon I'll need a nice sash for my badges.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Places where I have seen badges, there is some gaming, randomness to it. Where to draw the line? Well, ultimately, that becomes the perview of the site developer. Part of the fun in badges is NOT knowing when you will get them 100% of the time.

xor

Places where I have seen badges, there is some gaming, randomness to it. Where to draw the line? Well, ultimately, that becomes the perview of the site developer. Part of the fun in badges is NOT knowing when you will get them 100% of the time.

Dude.

(to the theme of the post... man, the wailing surrounding the maniac stars, why they are what they are, where the ninth one is(nt), etc etc etc is great fun, high comedy, or a huge pain in the ass depending on who you are)