Cost of a "Road Membership" (Read 172 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The numbers that might surprise you are the costs of entering races over the years, especially if you factor in the travel cost if you have any races that you've traveled to.  I know you could run without racing, but I don't think I could.  I need races on my schedule to keep me motivated.

Adding in travel costs, including lodging, pushes my running budget up to a few thousand dollars, which is why I try to make some of the more expensive trips double as full fledged vacations, e.g. 50K trail race in MT doubled as visit to Glacier NP.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

HCH

I consider something that has as much value as running and costs a lot less than 1% of my annual income to be very cheap.

Maybe not free, but approximately free.

POD right there.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Fruchtenstein

When asked why I run, i used to reply that i'm saving on public transport. Until recently. A one-ride trolleybus ticket in my city costs 25 Russian rubles (almost 40 US cents). But then I divided the average cost of a pair of running shoes by their average mileage and it turned out that my usual six miles long commute run costs me about 50-80 cents. Now I need new motivation for running :*(

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When asked why I run, i used to reply that i'm saving on public transport. Until recently. A one-ride trolleybus ticket in my city costs 25 Russian rubles (almost 40 US cents). But then I divided the average cost of a pair of running shoes by their average mileage and it turned out that my usual six miles long commute run costs me about 50-80 cents. Now I need new motivation for running :*(

You run due to your concern for the environment.  Yeah, that's it.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You run due to your concern for the environment.  Yeah, that's it.

I don't know, the economy of scales for public transport make the environmental concerns pretty low.  Compare to the plastics in running shoes, the shipping from where they were made, to where you purchased them, the increased amount of methane you expel into the atmosphere for running-farts.  I mean, it just isn't that clear cut.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't know, the economy of scales for public transport make the environmental concerns pretty low.  Compare to the plastics in running shoes, the shipping from where they were made, to where you purchased them, the increased amount of methane you expel into the atmosphere for running-farts.  I mean, it just isn't that clear cut.

Work with me on this, stadjak.

Another cost of running that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone is food. The amount of additional food consumption when running vs. when not running is pretty dramatic. And of course it further increases as mileage does.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another cost of running that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone is food. The amount of additional food consumption when running vs. when not running is pretty dramatic. And of course it further increases as mileage does.

I thought the amount of food remained constant and one's weight varied.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I thought the amount of food remained constant and one's weight varied.

Not for me! My weight stays constant no matter what kind of mileage I run. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Dave

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Let's call it a quarter per mile for easy math.

Interestingly (okay, to me), the Federal reimbursement for using one's personal vehicle to perform government (job-related) travel is about $0.50/mi. That's supposed to cover gas, wear-and-tear to the vehicle, etc. By this standard running does not look inexpensive.

--Christine

This poor guy doesn't think twice about the costs of running.

I watch my money though and am happy to spend it on things I enjoy.

300m- 37 sec.

Notne

Well to take it to an absurd extreme, if one didn't run the chance of a heart attack or something would go up, and those costs are very high, so the extra cost of food is probably worth it!

To interject something more serious here … the last 2-3 days of running I've noticed I haven't been hungry … I've had to remind myself to eat, and even then my caloric intake is way negative.

I've been meeting my protein goals, and the overall balance is where I want it pretty much, but the fats and carbs are way down. I just had to eat a cheese sandwich to get even close to where my daily calories should be. That all seems so weird to me!