2011 Goal of Sub 20 5k (Read 4853 times)

SMART Approach

I run 20-24 miles per week. I have broken 20 min on these miles when doing a weekly long run and a weekly work out of critical velocity reps (10K paced reps at 1K) w/ 4-5 X 200s fast.  The last time I brok 20 was 2007 at age 41. Two years of bad hammys. Last year I got to 20:05 in Fall without much quality work other than racing and semi aggressive or fast finish long runs. Yesterday I did a 20:28 5K which I am ok with again because my quality work is limited to long runs, striders and an occasional slow tempo paced work out or CV reps. I will be 45 yrs old on my next attempt. I am still timid with hammys so still finding a right balance with work outs and miles is tough. I know I need to get back to consistent CV reps but body isn't quite ready for me to do this especially with a longer run on weekend (training for a half in May).

Genetics play a big role. For me, even if I jumped up to 30 miles per week with no quality work, I would be sub 20 min consistently no problem.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

protoplasm72

I just ran an 8k race in 34:19.  The year that I broke 20 in a 5k I ran this same 8k race in 34:04 so I'm getting close.  I definitely need to work on pacing and get some long tempo runs in cause my endurance is not there.  I started at 6:32 pace and each mile got slower after that.  Last one was 7:07 and that is technically only .97 miles.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

If you're near 34 for 8k then you're in the right range if you can figure out what's causing the fade.

In those last couple miles did your legs get heavier or was it more that you felt winded or perhaps you felt more distracted than in the early miles? It matters as to how you might look to even up your splits. 

protoplasm72

My legs were shot.  These were the splits 6:32, 6:37, 6:59, 7:02, 7:07.  There is a decent (for downtown chicago) uphill at miles 3 and 5.  Mile 1 is downhill so I purposely run that section a little faster.  Mile 4 is where I lost it.  That mile should of been 6:45ish and the last should of been a little below 7.  I was shooting for 34 minutes flat.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

It looks the hill crushed your quads and hip flexors. So ... how about doing more hills? If you get used to turning the legs over quicker instead of trying to "power stride" your way up then you won't get killed by the hills. My old CC coach used to have us do lots of hill repeats on the golf course. There was one hole that was pretty steep for about 250 yards or so. Early in the season he'd have us do a set of 10 repeats with quick leg turnover (cadence, not pace) going up and an easy jog going down. Then later in the season he'd reverse it, working on our form at faster than race pace on the downhills. 

protoplasm72

20:35 today on a flat course.  That's only 2 seconds faster then the same race last year when I was only just coming back from an injury.  There was a strong head wind for the last couple tenths but not really enough to slow me by more then a few seconds.  Again I faded.  I started at 6:21 pace and felt good but by mile 3 I slowed to 7:00 and was hurting.  I'm done with short races for a while.  I've got a HM in a couple weeks then a 10 miler at the end of May.  Hopefully the focus on distance will help with this fading problem when I get back to 5k's.

20:35 today on a flat course.  That's only 2 seconds faster then the same race last year when I was only just coming back from an injury.  There was a strong head wind for the last couple tenths but not really enough to slow me by more then a few seconds.  Again I faded.  I started at 6:21 pace and felt good but by mile 3 I slowed to 7:00 and was hurting.  I'm done with short races for a while.  I've got a HM in a couple weeks then a 10 miler at the end of May.  Hopefully the focus on distance will help with this fading problem when I get back to 5k's.

Some days you just don't have it. But at 20:35 you are stil outside looking in.

I ran a 5k local loop today as a training run in 21:36. My first sub 7 minute pace run for the year.

7:04, 7:11, 6:46 and 0:35 last tenth.

I have 288 miles run for the year. I think I need to work on my speedwork.

I felt okay the entire time and at 2 miles I knew I could run a faster last mile.

This is my best time of the year by 16 seconds as I ran a 21:52 in mid March (which was my last race effort for what its worth). I am just running lots of easy miles lately.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have 288 miles run for the year. I think I need to work on my speedwork.

That averages out to about only 18 miles per week.  You don't need speedwork, you need to run more.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

That averages out to about only 18 miles per week.  You don't need speedwork, you need to run more.

Yeah I know. In April I sit at 64 miles so that is about 21 miles per week.

In the past I usually get to around 32-35 mpw and that draws me close to 20 pace.

To make me feel better though, and hopefully you others as well.

I would have taken 9th place of 51 runners at a local road race in my age group by running 21:36.

On almost no speedwork and 18 mpw. That makes me feel alot better about myself.

To me 21:36 is slow but in reality it is progress. I have to keep the confidence up.

Once my wife ends her college class on May 13 I will have 2 more open days that I can run each week so I need to keep at it.

Everyone is running faster than me. I haven't been able to break into 21 minute 5K yet this year. I'm not too concerned. In the past I have been 23 to 24 minutes in January - March, but have been able to get 20 minutes and some odd seconds by summer. 

I've lost a lot of weight - about 10 pounds since January. I think that will help.

My next race is May 7. It is on a "rail trail" so will have no hills. That should buy me a minute right there I think.

Oh, and tomorrow will be the 10 year anniversary of when I started to run. I'm proud of that!

Prince of Fatness

Everyone is running faster than me.

I'm not.  I haven't run a 5K in over a year but I ran a 10 mile race early this month in 1:17:17.  Based on that I think that I may be able to break 22 minutes now.  I will be running a 5K Memorial Day weekend, so we'll see then.  I'm slowly getting my base back and still feel some lingering pains from my injury last year, but seem to be managing it.  Hopefully I'll be able to make a run at sub 20 this fall.

Not at it at all. 

Real World

The fastest 5K that I have ever run was in Indy for the Big 10 tournament this year in March. 23:06. It seem that it is too much to try for under 20 this year but I really think it is possible. I started running last year and really enjoy it. I however, never ran CC or any organized running.

What I am doing right now is ...

Day 1 - Sprints(about 30 yards)

Day 2- Run 19:57 as far as you can go.

Day 3 - Run 5 miles

DAy 4 - Run hills

Day 5- Run a 5K

I am doing this every week. It could be the dumbest idea ever but it seems to get me 18-19 miles per week. Any tips or thoughts to help.

Thanks

Day 1 - Sprints(about 30 yards 10 x 200 or 8 x 400 or 6 x  800 meters or some more meaningful speedwork worked out by someone smarter than me)

Day 2- Run 19:57 as far as you can go.

Day 3 - Run 5 miles easy

Day 4 - Run hills

Day 5- Run a 5K, if there's a race, or just throw in some faster 5k pace surges into a 4 mile run

My completely unprofessional, untested, opinion.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

4 miles in 73 degree weather this afternoon. I was hoping for sub 30 and I busted out a 28:34.

7:06, 7:08, 7:27, 6:53

329 miles on the year.

runningriot

Do It!!! Congrats on setting the goal!