Shrimp allergy? (Read 1371 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm....for the past year or so I have had intermittent issues with shrimp...but I don't know if it's an actual allergy, per se. It always seems to be an issue with frozen shrimp and it first appeared to be only shell-on raw or cooked. But last night I had my first issue with breaded coconut shrimp of the frozen variety. Here's where it gets weird. I baked 4 large-ish butterflied coconut shrimp from a box. At the time I purchased the box they were on sale, so I bought 2 boxes. I ate the first box a few months ago and had a hankering last night, so I decided to fix half of the second one. Now, I had NO issues whatsoever with the contents of the first box, but an hour or so after eating some of the second box last night I started having the intestinal cramping and hives that I have had before after eating shrimp. Last weekend after our long run Eryn and I ate a mess o' popcorn shrimp and I had 0 problems. I also have had no problems with shrimp in restaurants or any other shellfish. So what's the deal? Do food allergies just come and go like that? This is frustrating, since I love shrimp and can eat it most of the time with zero ill-effects, but I do fear that one of these days my luck could run out. Any ideas? I know that a lot of shrimp is treated with preservatives when it is caught, but I don't see anything listed on this latest troublesome package, unlike with the frozen shell-on shrimps. My mom also says that she has had similar issues in the past and it's very unpredictable. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

You can develop an allergic reaction pretty much over night. I noticed that my scalp becomes itchy and tender a day or two after eating shrimp that's not thoroughly cooked. You might have a similar reaction. Of course, now you'll never know for sure because the next time you eat shrimp, you might be the victim of the placebo effect.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now I'm just getting paranoid to eat shrimp, period. A few people have told me that next time I have a reaction I might not be so lucky to just have stomach distress and hives. *sigh* I love those little crustaceans. And if I do have a shrimp allergy, then I should probably stay away from lobster and crab, too. At least I have never had any ill reactions to scallops, clams, or calamari. I guess I will just have to stick to other shellfishes that aren't crustacean in nature. I loves me some seafood! Anyone know if allergy testing could determine a food allergy like that? I've been tempted to undergo allergy testing for a while, now, since I have a variety of respiratory allergies, anyhow (am on Allegra year 'round). Might be worth it to determine if it really is a shrimp allergy.

~ Sarah Kay

You know, with my years of working in the medical field that I tend to lean on extreme caution, so I'd say avoid. At the same time, I'm the worst patient in the world and...well, who can pass up those tasty little morsels!? Yes, allergy testing can determine food allergies, as well as animal & environmental allergies. Might not be a bad idea.
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Keep an eye on idodine, too... Many people who are allergic to shellfish are allergic to iodine.

Roads were made for journeys...

Have you ever had your thyroid levels tested? Since shrimp have such a high iodine content, they tend to bother people w/ thyroid conditions.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Mmmm... All this talk about shrimp has gotten me interested in eating some...

I was thinking that too. We have some in the freezer that is just calling my name. But, I promised marinated & grilled portobello's to my hubby & his best friend tonight.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Can't you marinate and grill some big shrimp in there too?? Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you ever had your thyroid levels tested? Since shrimp have such a high iodine content, they tend to bother people w/ thyroid conditions.
                      Huh...I've never heard that, but sometimes I've wondered about my thyroid--I never used to get cold easily and in the last few years I have been chilly a lot more than usual (it would help explain why I have such a struggle losing weight, too). But I chalked it up to the weight loss. The iodine thing is interesting. But wouldn't that mean that table salt would bother me? k

~ Sarah Kay

Nope, salt wouldn't necessarily bother you. Table salt is sodium chloride, not iodide.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nope, salt wouldn't necessarily bother you. Table salt is sodium chloride, not iodide.
                          But table salt is iodized. Sea salt doesn't have iodine added, but run-of-the-mill table salt does. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Weird, and it appears table salt contains iodiDe, not iodiNe...what's the difference?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Everything you ever wanted to know about iodine/iodide

~ Sarah Kay

It could be an intolerance. A lot of people get confused between allergies and intolerances. An intolerance can be more unpredictable, as it depends on how much of the thing you eat etc. It's not particularly dangerous but can just be uncomfortable.
                                Vztavat a cvicit!