Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Thanks Jim, I will be there!

Just in from our club president:

"The gate to the WVC track is scheduled to be open for our 5K run on the track on 7/11/09.

We will run our regular 5K on the track at a little after 8AM.

If anyone wants to run ahead of time, we will have a heat for turtle-speed runners at 7:15AM.  Mediocre and good runners are welcome to run in this heat if they want to get a cheap high finish.  All runners in this heat will probably have to time themselves.

We are starting at 7:15AM rather than at 7:30AM so that I will have a better chance of finishing before the 8:00AM start.

Slow runners in the 8:00AM race should stay to the inside of the track so that the fast runners will know to run outside you when they lap you.  Also, the slower runners should try not to run in a clump and string out to the 2nd and 3rd lanes as this makes it more difficult for the fast runners when they lap you.

If you are unfamiliar with a track 5K, it consists of 12 1/2 laps.  Use your fingers to count the first 10 laps and then take off one shoe and use your toes for the final 2 laps.

Walt"

Hope to see you there. Jim

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

I guess my point was that there is no correlation between the number of miles per week a person is currently running and the race times they are able to achieve, especially in a short race like the 5k.

I also disagree as mileage seems to be one of the main staples in 5k time.  I average about 35 miles per week.

This week I am going to run over 50 miles. I want to run a 5k on July 26. I fully intend to be faster but I guess I will have to post the results after my race to see for sure.

The 5k may be a short race but even the mile run is mostly aerobic running. A 5k must be over 90 % aerobic. It has very little to do with speed. I see runners finishing 10 minutes behind me who are finishing the race just as fast as I finish the race.They just cannot hang with my aerobic speed (which is pretty slow) for the other 3 miles of the race.

I think burried somewhere in what Jeff was saying is the point that things like lifetime mileage and even recent mileage are a hell of a lot more important than current mileage.  The reason Jeff can run a sub 20 5k off of 3.1 miles per week (or zero miles per week for that matter) has an awful lot to do with the many tens of thousands of miles he's run in his lifetime, over a period of many years, at all different speeds, in competition, in workouts, in play, over all kinds of terrain, in all kinds of conditions.  Backed up by good genes.

If you've run 25,000 miles in the last 10 years, or if you ran 6,000 miles between January 2007 and December 2008, that's probably has a lot more to say about what you can run a 5k right now than what mileage you're running right now.

At least I think he was saying that.

Runners run

I think burried somewhere in what Jeff was saying is the point that things like lifetime mileage and even recent mileage are a hell of a lot more important than current mileage.  The reason Jeff can run a sub 20 5k off of 3.1 miles per week (or zero miles per week for that matter) has an awful lot to do with the many tens of thousands of miles he's run in his lifetime, over a period of many years, at all different speeds, in competition, in workouts, in play, over all kinds of terrain, in all kinds of conditions.  Backed up by good genes.

If you've run 25,000 miles in the last 10 years, or if you ran 6,000 miles between January 2007 and December 2008, that's probably has a lot more to say about what you can run a 5k right now than what mileage you're running right now.

Right a guy in my 5ks runs 19:00 for 5ks and tells me he is running about 10 miles a week. I am like wow you have some great natural talent but he did train for a marathon 3-4 months agao when he ran alot more miles.

But of course if he runs 40 miles this week he will run a 5k a heck of a lot faster than 19 minutes.

I ran about 37 mpw for 3 months last year and finally broke 20 minutes.

Then I did a month of 27 mpw and broke 20 minutes again.

Yes my previous mileage base helped. That and confidence that I could do it since I already did it once.

kcam

I think he was just drunk.

Jim, see you tomorrow

Just in from our club president:

"The gate to the WVC track is scheduled to be open for our 5K run on the track on 7/11/09.

We will run our regular 5K on the track at a little after 8AM.

If anyone wants to run ahead of time, we will have a heat for turtle-speed runners at 7:15AM.  Mediocre and good runners are welcome to run in this heat if they want to get a cheap high finish.  All runners in this heat will probably have to time themselves.

We are starting at 7:15AM rather than at 7:30AM so that I will have a better chance of finishing before the 8:00AM start.

Slow runners in the 8:00AM race should stay to the inside of the track so that the fast runners will know to run outside you when they lap you.  Also, the slower runners should try not to run in a clump and string out to the 2nd and 3rd lanes as this makes it more difficult for the fast runners when they lap you.

If you are unfamiliar with a track 5K, it consists of 12 1/2 laps.  Use your fingers to count the first 10 laps and then take off one shoe and use your toes for the final 2 laps.

Walt"

Hope to see you there. Jim

I think he was just drunk.

Always a possibility as well.

Runners run

I thought running was supposed to be a simple sport. When did it get so psychological on us... Basically, if you want to get better (with regards to where you are right now, not comparing to a time goal) then put on your sneakers and run more.. That's basically it...

Unfortunately, we are not all blessed with Jeff's genetics where we can go run a 5k a week and run under-20. (or a 16:15 for that matter)... I think Jeff might belong on letsrun.com...

Nah, Jeff (like me for that matter) is part of the furniture here on RA.  Not all of his posts are for everyone, but it's okay.

Runners run

MoBramExam

I thought running was supposed to be a simple sport. When did it get so psychological on us...

I find Jeff more philosophical.  You have to admit, the thread got a rollin'...in an enertaining way to boot.

xor

Nah, Jeff (like me for that matter) is part of the furniture here on RA.  Not all of his posts are for everyone, but it's okay.

Yeah, he's kinda like the bust of William Shakespeare in Bruce Wayne's library.  Adds to the ambience, but most people don't really know what to think about it, especially sitting in the middle of a table.  Meanwhile, if you crack open his head, you'll find the magic switch to the batcave.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

The fact is that if you want to get faster then you need to eat more yummy GU! 

Otherwise I am willing to bet that if someone ran 35 MPW for a year and ran a 5K at 23:00 minutes and then ran for another year doing 30 MPW, both with speed work and hills thrown in, they would run a faster 5K the second time.  Sometimes all more miles does for you is get you injured. 

*This of course assumes that the course and all other conditions are the same. 

2011 Goals:
                            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Otherwise I am willing to bet that if someone ran 35 MPW for a year and ran a 5K at 23:00 minutes and then ran for another year doing 30 MPW, both with speed work and hills thrown in, they would run a faster 5K the second time.  Sometimes all more miles does for you is get you injured. 

This is true but why would you want to work so hard to gain maybe 60 seconds over the course of a 5k?

I could run 35 mpw for a year and run a 5k in23 minutes.

Then take 3 months off and run 40 mpw for 3 months and run a 5k faster than I did the previous year.

I just saved myself 9 months of running 30mpw plus alot of hills and speedwork.

What you are describing above is probably alot like what I did for 4 years. I tried to do the minimum amount of work necessary to run a 19:59. If 35 mpw wasn't good enough to get me a  19:59 well by golly I would try to run 36 mpw the next week. I think It is within all our grasps to run a sub 20. We just need to stop trying to do the minimum amount of work to get it and instead try to make ourselves into 19:30 shape so we can remove all doubts at our next race.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am willing to bet that if someone ran 35 MPW for a year and ran a 5K at 23:00 minutes and then ran for another year doing 30 MPW, both with speed work and hills thrown in, they would run a faster 5K the second time.  Sometimes all more miles does for you is get you injured.

Well sure. That's because the second year, this runner will have 1500 more cumulative lifetime miles than the first year.

why would you want to work so hard to gain maybe 60 seconds over the course of a 5k?

Well, once you have approached your short-term potential, it takes a lot of work to shave off every 60 additional seconds over a 5k. Otherwise, your PR was just soft.
                              Slo

+1.......I'd even be willing to bet he could skip the hills and speed work and still run a faster 5k a year later.

Sometimes all speedwork does for you is get you injured.....