Big toe hole in the top of my Asics Kayano's (Read 5099 times)

tomatolover

I've noticed that somewhere around mile 225, my big toe has bored a hole in top of my left shoe.....It's pretty much only netting, though I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Is this normal?

if not:

2. Is this a shoe issue or a foot issue

I feel i've got another hundred miles or so left in my current pair, but  am wondering if this is a sign to replace.  Has anyone had a similar problem with their running shoes and/or Kayanos.

I would say a foot and/or size/fit issue.

Man ... thats one tough big toe to bore through without any pain /blisters over time

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I've noticed that somewhere around mile 225, my big toe has bored a hole in top of my left shoe.....It's pretty much only netting, though I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. Is this normal?

if not:

2. Is this a shoe issue or a foot issue

I feel i've got another hundred miles or so left in my current pair, but  am wondering if this is a sign to replace.  Has anyone had a similar problem with their running shoes and/or Kayanos.

I've only had this happen once - with my first pair of running shoes - which were probably 1/2 size too small. Moving up to the next size and keeping the toenails short will likely prevent this from happening again.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Pictures?

all my shoes with mesh above the big-toe do this! I've always assumed its just because I must do some funky big-toe lift.

My socks also get holes right over the big toe.

grrrrr.

jules2

all my shoes with mesh above the big-toe do this! I've always assumed its just because I must do some funky big-toe lift.

My socks also get holes right over the big toe.

grrrrr.

You are right, for years I thought this was normal and then a guy in a running shop said I had a weak big toe and suggested exercises to get over it.  At first I thought it was a joke and then I realised each time I make a step ( running or walking ) my big toe lifts upwards.  I've been told if you put Tipex on the mesh it stops it happening!

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

tomatolover

You are right, for years I thought this was normal and then a guy in a running shop said I had a weak big toe and suggested exercises to get over it.  At first I thought it was a joke and then I realised each time I make a step ( running or walking ) my big toe lifts upwards.  I've been told if you put Tipex on the mesh it stops it happening!

hmmmm...interesting...What's tipex?  I do, however, keep my nails very short.  

Did he say anything about the weakness being a problem? ie. could it lead to injury?

I did the poor man's solution and just put duct tape over the hole from the inside of the shoe out.  Stuck in place most of the time!

I switched over to Brooks Trance 7's (cheaper b/c of sale) and they have a strip of non-mesh (don't know what the material is) running over my big toe - no more problems... although my socks still get the holes.

A Saucy Wench

I drill holes through my socks and shoes too.

MTA: part of the reason I switched from asics to brooks is the mesh is farther back on brooks. And I buy cheap socks.

I've never had a blister or lost a toenail with this so I dont worry about it

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

2nd on the question of what is Tipex?  And, what exercises?

Almost all my Asics do this, but I'm getting what I feel is an acceptable distance on each pair.  It only starts to annoy me when I can feel my toe extend out that hole during a run. 

I've had this same problem for years. I've tried several things, including the duct-tape which I found came out after only a few runs. I stepped my shoes down a half size (to get the plastic part of the shoe protector closer to the end of the toe).  AndN make sure my shoes are tied tight, especially at the heel, to keep the feet froom sliding around.

I also, for the past year or two have taken to religiously putting band-aids over each big toe (keep the band-aids wiht the socks so you see them when you're putting the socks on) for each and every run.  I buy the cheapest store-brand I can find.  In fact, if I happen to forget, I am really timid when I run, since once a hole is in the shoe debrs gets in (I run only trails). This has worked for me.

There are also big toe proetector thingies out there (like a cap) but my running store owner tried them and he doesn't carry them any more because they would slide off.  I once had to return a pair of shoes after only 3 runs because of a hole.  I'm very careful selecting my shoes, and look for that longer toe protection or a more durable material.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

jules2

2nd on the question of what is Tipex?  And, what exercises?

Almost all my Asics do this, but I'm getting what I feel is an acceptable distance on each pair.  It only starts to annoy me when I can feel my toe extend out that hole during a run. 

Tipex is correcting fluid its supposed to make the fabric stiffer!

Basically resistance training by putting your toe under something and then repeatedly pulling the toe up against it, I hope that makes sense

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I hope that makes sense

Yes is does, thank you.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I gave up on Asics because I kept getting a hole over my LITTLE toe, after not many miles at all. I don't have wide feet, so I don't know what that was about.  Pearl Izumis rock - I just bought my 6th pair.  I'm just retiring the oldest pair, at 360 miles, and they still look good.

Haha I saw this topic and thought it was something I made.

Lookie here at my Asics kayano's after a month of use!

2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.