Looking to expand my schedule (Read 446 times)

mandytheartist

I already run:

Boston Marathon/Half-Marathon

Falmouth Road Race

Tufts 10k

Any other races in the area I should run?  (prefereably barefoot friendly)

Just B.S.

Mandy, don't know how far you are willing to travel but the Maine Marathon in Portland is a

great event. I have also heard lots of good things about MDI, I've never done that one but

know a lot of people who have.

Hubby and I are doing the 1/2 @ Portland then the full @ Hartford several weeks later.

Also Cap Cod gets good reviews.

mandytheartist

Maine's a bit far. Where on the Cape? Sounds perfect for me.

an amazing likeness

Maine's a bit far.

Quick train from North Station...unfortunately. Looks like you're in Boston area (duh) and there are about 453 gazillion great road races in your area. If you grab this month's issue of New England Runner it has an article, "New Englands Super 77" listing many of the most notable races throughout the year.

Some of my top choices would include:

Baystate Marathon / Half (Lowell MA) -- great runner's event

Old Port Half Marathon (Portland ME) -- best finish area of the summer

Applecrest Half (Hampton NH) -- new in 2012, was a real gem.

Great Bay Half (Newmarket NH) -- hilly, beautiful course.

Hyannis Half/Marathon (Hyannis MA) -- good early spring race

Eastern States 20 Miler (Portsmouth NH) -- less interesting now that it's only 2 states.

Iron Horse Half (Simsbury CT) -- great PR course

Green Mountain Half/Marathon (north of BVM) -- pure essence of fall running in New England

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

Maine's a bit far. Where on the Cape? Sounds perfect for me.

The drive to Portland is only about 20 minutes longer than the drive to Falmouth from Boston. They have some nice races in Maine. I'd like to run Beach to Beacon someday. Perhaps you should put that on your list.

mandytheartist

I will have to check out New England Runner.

My favorite races near Boston each month:

2/3/13 Great Stew Chase 15k, Lynn, MA (great course, good stew at the finish, only $15 if you pre-register)

3/17/13 New Bedford Half Marathon, New Bedford, MA (this one will probably be covered by New England Runner)

4/15/13 Boston Marathon (already on your schedule)

5/19/13 Mystic River Herring Run 5k, Somerville, MA (mostly on the bike path by the river, very little running on road, flat course)

6/2/13 Newton 10k, Newton, MA (this was part of the USATF-NE series in 2012. If you don't go out too fast, this could be a PR course)

7/30/13 Yankee Homecoming 10 Miler, Newburyport, MA (it's a Tuesday evening race, expect it to be hot!!)

August: you've already got Falmouth, but look at Derby Street Mile in Salem or Lynn Woods Relay.

9/15/13 Lone Gull 10k, Gloucester, MA (beautiful course)

10/20/13 Baystate Marathon/Half Marathon, Lowell, MA (fast course!)

November: too many Thanksgiving day races to choose from, also check out Gabe's Run or the Andover XC Race.

December: Mill City Relay if you have a team, Somerville Jingle Bell Run if you like beer.

xhristopher

2/3/13 Great Stew Chase 15k, Lynn, MA (great course, good stew at the finish, only $15 if you pre-register)

I'm probably doing this one next month.

mandytheartist

Somerville and Newton in my backyard. Yay!

Ia the beer race a "beer run" race?

Somerville and Newton in my backyard. Yay!

Ia the beer race a "beer run" race?

The Somerville race isn't a "beer run" in the sense that you need to drink beer while running. It is just sponsored by a bunch of pubs and typically also by Harpoon. After the race your finisher medal (yes finisher medal for a 5k; they have a St Patty's day 5k also with a bottle opener finisher medal) and/or bib gets you into the local pubs for free beer.

I used to run these a while back, but the start gets very crowded (like 5000 runners with a start line in Davis Square) so they can be a bit more like a party with a pre-party run than a race with a post-race party.