Anyone run in Spira? (Read 646 times)

I have ordered some Spiras after seeing them on many Kenyans at Cotton Row 10K and Gumtree 10K this spring. I also noticed some on the leaders at Peachtree. Does anyone have any experience with these shoes?

Half Fanatic #846

You may have ordered a Spira racing flat or equivalent, so I don't know if this will help much, but here goes: I bought a pair of Spira Volare trainers for the advertised cushioning properties - they have 2 metal springs in the forefoot and one larger one in the heel. I don't really feel a "bounce" or anything like that, just good cushioning. I really like this constant "wavespring" technology, since the cushioning hasn't seemed to diminish after 800 miles of running in them - very nice! They fit well, look fine, and are very comfortable. The negatives: (1) These are probably the heaviest running shoes I've ever had - I don't know about the other models, and (2) Each of the foresoles wore thru in a tiny pinpoint after about 550 miles, so since then they've been relegated to treadmill use only. Will I buy another pair of Spiras? When I can find them on sale (Spira Outlet Store @ 50% off) and a lighter style. I am definitely going to buy a pair of Spira walking shoes for work where black uniform shoes are required and I'm on my feet a lot. Hope this helps Smile Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I ordered the Spira "Stinger" which is a racing flat that I believe I will be able to train in over short distances. I had heard that they were long lasting shoes. This shoe is very light. They are yellow so I don't think you could wear them at work.
        xor

I don't know that going with Spira because you saw a bunch of Kenyans (were they all from Kenya?) wearing them is a great indicator. Spira has been engaged in a whole bunch of publicity stunts trying to get buzz on their shoes. Here's a place to start: http://www.letsrun.com/2008/spiraarticle0306.php Also, google "Spira million" and "Spira banned" for lots more. My guess? 99% of the people you saw wearing the shoes didn't wear them specifically because they are the best shoes ever. Rather, they wore them because they got them for free along with the possibility of lots of money. (which, frankly, is how many people who make money from races make some of their decisions. Nothing wrong with that... just know that Spira has been quite virulent at getting their stuff out there).

Half Fanatic #846

Yes, the marketing of spira has been somewhat controversial and whether they are considered "legal" (due to the metal coil in the sole). But I'm too slow to care about any of that - I'm just looking for the best cushioning I can get for these 62 year old joints! Big grin Now I'm considering the lighter Del Sol ($60 at Spira Outlet Store) for my next running shoe to see if it's a "high mileage" shoe. I've also had NB, Mizuno, Nike, and Reebok, but they seem to wear out on average of maybe 400 miles or so.. Tongue

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!