This damned runner's high! (Read 996 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's making it impossible for me to wind-down at a reasonable hour. I can't wait until I can go back to runs earlier in the day (just one more reason we moms can't wait for school to start)! This running around the dinner hour or later is really turning me into a night owl, then I drag my butt out of bed at least an hour after my son is already up--and in constant fear of the mischief an unsupervised 5.5 year old boy can get into (just ask Eryn about his capabilities!). Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just drink a few Cokes and Redbulls as carbo-hydrating after your run, it will put you to sleep very nicely. Big grin Can you re-schedule your run to the morning?
      Run more.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can you re-schedule your run to the morning?
        In a few weeks I will be able to (once my son starts kindergarten), but to do morning runs now I would have to be back home by about 6:45, which is generally when DH leaves for work. So I'd need to be out the door by 5:30, for most runs--that's a little too early for my blood. I wish I were more of an AM person... Fall is going to be great--cooler weather and late morning runs! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey Zoom-Zoom. Wait until you see just what mischief an unsupervised teenager can get into!!!! John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You just hush, now, John! Military school is looking appealing, already! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom, if I am not parking my truck at work by 5:30am I'm LATE!! I hate being late!! I would love to run in the AM but then I'd get even less sleep

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would love to run in the AM but then I'd get even less sleep
                Ditto. Plus I once heard a statistic that most abductions of women happen in the early AM hours, when it is still dark. I pretty much avoid running when it's not light out. I prefer to go out during hours when I know there will be plenty of other people out-and-about, so much of the year that means running during the hours after breakfast or before dinner -- 9-5. k

~ Sarah Kay

Just hand cuff him to the porch railing before your run. John

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just hand cuff him to the porch railing before your run. John
                    Ooh, I LOVE that idea! CPS probably would frown upon that, unfortunately...party-poopers! I really need to get him out on his bike with me for some shorter runs. He doesn't bike real fast or far, so we might match pace pretty well. Hmmm...if I can accomplish enough stuff this afternoon I should try to take him out with me before supper. I'm only planning a 45 minute run, tonite. k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, I didn't mean to make fun of your situation. As a dad, when my kids were young, it was often very difficult to train for anything. There were years when I just accepted the fact that I was going to only run enough to "stay in shape." Family demands dictated what I could or could not do. Some days I would get home and find that my wife needed my attention (she was a stay at home mom for a few years) as much as the baby. To just lace up would have been the height of insensitivity. Go with the flow! Regarding your son on a bike, I used to do that very thing when my boys were that age. I do remember my oldest on his little 2 wheeler riding ahead of me and getting a bit too close to a rural mail box. His head didn't quite clear the box and he smacked it square on his forehead. Fortunately, he was okay after a few tears and we laughed about it years afterwards. Hang in there. Your Eryn is a blessing even if he inconveniences your running. Smile Smile Smile John

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, I didn't mean to make fun of your situation. Hang in there. Your Eryn is a blessing even if he inconveniences your running. Smile Smile Smile John
                        Oh, I wasn't offended in the least...if I could handcuff him in place without the authorities stepping-in I WOULD!!! Big grin Heh, and Eryn is one of the members here (backroadrunner) and my best friend. She needs to start posting more so that people don't forget about her (she just returned from 2 weeks in Norway, so I guess she gets a pass). She has seen my son in action and KNOWS what a handful he can be (when he's not charming the pants off of everyone). Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Ditto. Plus I once heard a statistic that most abductions of women happen in the early AM hours, when it is still dark. I pretty much avoid running when it's not light out. I prefer to go out during hours when I know there will be plenty of other people out-and-about, so much of the year that means running during the hours after breakfast or before dinner -- 9-5. k
                          Welll you could move to Alaska for the summer. Say around Nome. Wake up and 3AM with light straming in the window. I was there in July 2001 and it never did get dark even though the sun dipped behing a mt range to the west. Then it would pop up head EAST make a U Turn and head west again. Don't stay for winter. Sunrise is noon and sets about 4PM For summer younever have to worry about getting dark On the flipside no matter how fast you can run a griz can out pace ya 3 to 1. Talk about speed work and motivation!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Kirsten. Ahhhh. I got it straight now who Eryn is. (Looked back at the original post--it's a girl's name anyway, dah!) Point was, you SON is a blessing... John

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the flipside no matter how fast you can run a griz can out pace ya 3 to 1. Talk about speed work and motivation!!
                              Ack! I saw that thing about that guy who loved grizzlies a bit too much...and became dinner--no thanks! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Point was, you SON is a blessing... John
                                Oh, he IS...just for about the last 3 years he has been a blessing "in disguise." I keep telling myself that the terrible 3s, 4s, and 5s will = an easy teenager...right! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay