Strained lower abs from too much LSD? (Read 293 times)

Latent Runner

Shipo, I am like you and only wanted to do the 100 mile week "because it was there."  Congrats!!  Splitting your runs was a smart way to do it, that's how I did it too.

I am most definitely planning on getting back to running.  I tried to just walk fast as a workout, but it still hurt my shin.  So I have been mountain biking 15 - 20 miles a day instead.  I enjoy biking so it hasn't been as much of a hardship to give up on running (temporarily) as I had expected.  I have only just now gotten to the point where my shin doesn't hurt when I walk around, so I think in another couple weeks I will try a five minute run and see what happens.

I had to quit riding years ago due to carpal tunnel syndrome to the point where I couldn't go more than twenty minutes before I'd have to stop and shake my hands out, and cycling used to me my first love.  Guess I'm fickle.  Smile

Keep us posted on your road to recovery.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong angle.  Chicken and the egg and all.  I was sidelined for about 6 months a couple of years ago because of lower abdominal strain when I was ramping up my mileage.  The lesson I learned out of that experience was that it was not that I was running too much, but that I was not strengthening my core enough.  Seems like the more miles you put in the less you do any kind of cross training.  I still don't like to "waste time" doing core so instead I just do a couple of core exercises through the day.  If I'm standing around waiting for something I will lift one leg and push down on my knee to strengthen the lower abs.  Just doing a couple of pushups every day (with the proper core engagement) will do wonders also.

Latent Runner

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong angle.  Chicken and the egg and all.  I was sidelined for about 6 months a couple of years ago because of lower abdominal strain when I was ramping up my mileage.  The lesson I learned out of that experience was that it was not that I was running too much, but that I was not strengthening my core enough.  Seems like the more miles you put in the less you do any kind of cross training.  I still don't like to "waste time" doing core so instead I just do a couple of core exercises through the day.  If I'm standing around waiting for something I will lift one leg and push down on my knee to strengthen the lower abs.  Just doing a couple of pushups every day (with the proper core engagement) will do wonders also.

Hmmm, a couple of comments:

• My 100 mile week last week was just something I did and have no plan on doing again any time soon.  Why?  If for no other reason than it takes too darned much time; somewhere between 50 and 65 is much more my norm.
        • While I do not do any cross training per-se, I do act as a part-time caretaker for 11 horses, and between pitching a half-ton to a ton of poop per week (depends upon how early they came in and how much they ate the day before), lifting, toting, and distributing grain bags and hay bales, and of course moving those magnificent beasts around (one always seems to want to bite the other, and I'm usually in between), I get plenty of non-running exercise.

Fat old man PRs:

King of PhotoShop

Your last comment about the nature of your work, especially shoveling heavy loads, suggests that you may have strained the abdominis rectus and if this is so, it's going to take a while to heal up.  I did this once after running for 22 miles, then doing ab crunches at the Y right after.  Stupid me.  I had physical therapy for this and the therapist gave me two workouts for the future, one a dynamic flexibility workout (active stretches that are excellent) and a core set.  They each take 17 to 20 minutes to do and I haven't been injured in over 6 years.

I'm far older than those of you posting here but I hope you will listen to me. You cannot run that kind of weekly mileage, do no core work and expect not to break down.  I sure hope in your case the ab strain goes away soon and it's nothing but just general soreness, but this post worried me.   Good luck.  Spareribs

lilcat19

I strained my ab in May of 2013 and it still gives me problems. Finally decided this past February to get it checked out and I was in physical therapy until after my marathon in May (2014).  As long as I try to stay away from core exercises that flare it up, I have been ok for the most part. I am still doing my PT at home as my only core exercise for the most part. The second I try anything else it flares up and since I am training for another marathon I really don't want that. Ab strains suck, seriously. I would recommend that if it is giving you problems that you get into PT (even if you have to see a doc to get in it). PT helped a lot and helped get me through my training.

Latent Runner

Your last comment about the nature of your work, especially shoveling heavy loads, suggests that you may have strained the abdominis rectus and if this is so, it's going to take a while to heal up.  I did this once after running for 22 miles, then doing ab crunches at the Y right after.  Stupid me.  I had physical therapy for this and the therapist gave me two workouts for the future, one a dynamic flexibility workout (active stretches that are excellent) and a core set.  They each take 17 to 20 minutes to do and I haven't been injured in over 6 years.

I'm far older than those of you posting here but I hope you will listen to me. You cannot run that kind of weekly mileage, do no core work and expect not to break down.  I sure hope in your case the ab strain goes away soon and it's nothing but just general soreness, but this post worried me.   Good luck.  Spareribs

Thanks for your comments.

That said, I rather doubt my abdominal strain has anything to do with working with the horses; the extra mileage, yes, horses, no.  As for doing core work, I have to say, I am not an advocate of such work as it seems very counter intuitive to the primary task of running.  I'm not saying you're advice isn't spot on, but for the moment at least, it just doesn't ring true relative to my situation.

Fat old man PRs:

Latent Runner

I strained my ab in May of 2013 and it still gives me problems. Finally decided this past February to get it checked out and I was in physical therapy until after my marathon in May (2014).  As long as I try to stay away from core exercises that flare it up, I have been ok for the most part. I am still doing my PT at home as my only core exercise for the most part. The second I try anything else it flares up and since I am training for another marathon I really don't want that. Ab strains suck, seriously. I would recommend that if it is giving you problems that you get into PT (even if you have to see a doc to get in it). PT helped a lot and helped get me through my training.

So far at least, I will characterize my strain as very mild, and given that last week was a 1-week experiment which is now over, and given that I'm helping my son drive his car and belongings from NAS Pensacola (Florida) to NAS Lemoore (California) starting on Friday of this week (which means limited ability to go for even middle distance runs), I'm thinking my abs will recover due to the rest they're about to be given.

If the problem recurs and/or gets worse, I'll certainly consult a PT.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

A 100 mile week, that's fantastic! You're awesome Shipo.

I've covered 75 miles in a week and stopped because of aches I'm unaccustomed to feeling.

After a few days rest I'm out again without issues. Hope you will be too.

The 100 is a dream I'm still chasing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Latent Runner

A 100 mile week, that's fantastic! You're awesome Shipo.

I've covered 75 miles in a week and stopped because of aches I'm unaccustomed to feeling.

After a few days rest I'm out again without issues. Hope you will be too.

The 100 is a dream I'm still chasing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks, I took yesterday off to do some sight seeing with my wife and today I was dressed to go for a run when a tornado warning was issued and heavy rain, thunder and lightning, and hail blanketed our area.  At this point I'm itching to get back out on the trail.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

Until a weak core prevents one from completing your primary task of running.  Then suddenly it is directly related to your primary task.

I am not an advocate of such work as it seems very counter intuitive to the primary task of running. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

Until a weak core prevents one from completing your primary task of running.  Then suddenly it is directly related to your primary task.

Not sure where you're going with this; to my way of thinking, if any given part of the body is needing to be stronger to support running, then running will exercise that part of the body to the point where it will get stronger.

Fat old man PRs:

bhearn

If your body knew how to produce optimal motor patterns for running, that would be true. It doesn't.

Latent Runner

If your body knew how to produce optimal motor patterns for running, that would be true. It doesn't.

I guess we'll have to disagree on that one.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

bhearn

OK. If your body is smarter than the rest of ours, kudos. Personally I have obvious non-optimal motor patterns. In the context of core training, the issue is that when some core muscles are not up to the task of supporting a good motor pattern, the body settles in on inferior patterns instead. Then bad form becomes self-perpetuating, and the core doesn't receive the training it needs to do its proper job.

To put it differently, our motor-pattern learning system can only find local optima. We have to consciously help it find better global optima.

If you doubt that core work is important for runners, simply type "core work and running" into a search engine and see what pops up!