2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Swim5599

JMAC I splurged and got the Vip package.  Super comfy bus with a bathroom, then heated tent.  Got an easy 10 min jog in then pushed my way up front and off we went.  I was so relaxed prior to the race I almost fell asleep on the drive up to Folsom.  Kinda reminded me of catching Patrick Bell in the AV in Boston in 2017 where I know for a fact he fell asleep.  Wanna talk about a guy that knew how to crush a marathon.  Patrick was a total gamer

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Running Problem

Problem Child

cal RLK said they moved it due to construction. CIM advertised shuttles from the host hotel. I just don't like parking a crew cab truck downtown during busy hours. Mostly because everyone thinks it fits into the same spot their Mini Cooper fits. I anticipate parking at the stadium to be easier. Remember...Eclipse Running shirt. Blue with orange letters. Pink lenses on Oakley glasses. I'll be drafting you for the first 20.

jmac I went my first year and tried to get dinner for two people downtown and they told me 4:30 or 9:30pm. I went North towards Natomas to eat with wife's family and that wasn't a problem. Since I'm staying in Folsom I don't plan on it being busy. For some reason I thought you were vegetarian/vegan and I'm not familiar enough with the area to know how many places would accomidate that type of lifestyle. After one year of having to figure out dinner the night before, and the other driving to the hotel at 8:00pm on Saturday I'm inclined to make reservations sooner than later. Since you're dining alone you may have better luck than I did. I just know I can do chicken and vegetables before a long run/race and after a 12-18 week training cycle I'd at least like to have a nice dinner with the wife kind of as a "thank you" and send off to race day.

If you get off the bus at CIM take everything with you. You won't find your bus again. I tried once. Got off the bus, walked past a few and turned around to see if I'd remember and I'd forgotten the number. The clear drawstring backpack provided during the expo has a spot to write your bib number on it so do that ahead of time. They throw everything into a delivery truck and the last 10 minutes is always a mad house of people trying to put their clothes in the bag and get them on the trucks. Just do it sooner. The gas station at the start gets crowded because it's covered and rain isn't fun to stand in. That pick up area is more than a few steps. It's past the bell everyone here will be ringing. Oh and apparently last year they only used 2 of the 4 lanes for the start so it was tighter than usual at the start. CIM is much smaller than Chicago. Still feels crowded at the start. I'm pretty sure there are spots to put throw away clothes and some residents bring out trash cans along the course for gel packs or whatever you don't feel like leaving on course. The first year I ran it was like a yard sale for the first 3-4 miles.

7620 Folsom-Auburn Rd, Folsom, CA 95630

Gas station at the start. Buses park on Folsom Lake Crossing. Course start line is probably halfway to Bluebird lane on Folsom-Auburn blvd. Bag drop is about where the entrance to the shopping center is south of the gas station where the two big arrows are. Bathrooms are North towards Folsom Dam Road and practically extend the whole curve. I think the road is blocked off all the way up to Folsom Dam Road. As always, the far bathrooms are the least crowded. I stop there before going anywhere else. You can't see the prison from the start. Kind of sucks. Part of me wishes the inmates could come out and cheer us on.

https://youtu.be/fuTOyQy4TBI?t=290

This video is taken from Shady Oaks Dr. at the start of 2018. I think the blinking lights in the background are the intersection of Folsom Auburn and Folsom Lake Crossing. This is why I'll be taking the first right hand turn wide. 

taper....man it is here. Great workout last night (10M, 14 total) after a bad last hour of work. Put a nice final seal on training for CIM and it's weird knowing the next two weeks are a taper (schedule means I'll miss a workout, 10K pace maybe 6:30) and then it's the final 7 days before CIM. This still feels like a 3 week taper even though CIM is 14 days from Sunday.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Patrick was a total gamer

Where is he these days? I remember I would win the 50K National title with a shitty time and Patrick showed up for my title.

He learned Lazy efficiency the hard way. Bastard made me run 10 minutes faster i went from 3:26 to 3:16.  Those were good times. He was there for my worst marathon ever  too when I ran a 3:06  Boston 2017 He had just run a 2:38 in Berlin or Chicago the previous year.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

cal 

Remember...Eclipse Running shirt. Blue with orange letters. Pink lenses on Oakley glasses. I'll be drafting you for the first 20.

That pick up area is more than a few steps. It's past the bell everyone here will be ringing

I will try, but until you are at the start area when it's not crowded and wear your t-shirt in 34oF, I might not spot you. And I would still run your own race - you had great cycle, you know your pace - do it the way you are comfortable with it - do not depend on anybody. Basically, stay focused and don't make strangers distract you Smile

Re pick up area - when I finish a marathon, get a medal, take a photo and I see the pickup area (on the right side from Capitol building), I call it few steps, yes, it it might be the whole 100 feet, but I still cal it "few steps" Smile

And, btw, I have never ever rang the bell - didn't feel I needed to....

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Swim5599

Where is he these days? I remember I would win the 50K National title with a shitty time and Patrick showed up for my title.

He learned Lazy efficiency the hard way. Bastard made me run 10 minutes faster i went from 3:26 to 3:16.  Those were good times. He was there for my worst marathon ever  too when I ran a 3:06  Boston 2017 He had just run a 2:38 in Berlin or Chicago the previous year.

I think he might have hung it up.  That 2:39 in Berlin he ran was a work of art.

Running Problem

Problem Child

And, btw, I have never ever rang the bell - didn't feel I needed to....

(insert SHOCKED file here)

Seriuosly? I have kind of wanted to ring it since 2015 just because back then I thought a BQ was out of reach, and a BQ gained you entry to the race. I was so young and dumb. Would one ring be enough or should it ring it as if it signals a warning to all around the troops are coming?

EDIT: jmac Those Salomon mittens are on sale right now. I just scored a pair from RW for $40! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm seeing under 40s for the highs and in the teens for morning runs so they'll come in handy for 2020 and beyond.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/rs-warm-mitten-u.html#color=18680&size=5171

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Seems like it's silly to check a bag if you're staying downtown. I have a ton of clothes I could donate to Goodwill, do they have bins? I don't see any reason to scramble for the truck.

Otherwise, this sounds like a MUCH better experience than Boston or NYC. Looking forward to it!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - I had glute issues a fair amount in college and more recently this summer. This is what I would do if I were you:

• Take time off, if you can. If you have a race coming up train through then take time off afterward, but if you have nothing, take some time off. I found 2 weeks to be enough if you don't carried away when you come back
                  • Work the trouble areas in accordance with this referred pain guide http://www.triggerpoints.net/lower-torso . A Lax or tennis ball is a good instrument for this
                  • Strengthen you glutes. Hip bridges, clams, band walks, etc.
                  • If you have a desk job, try to walk around and get some blood flowing
                  • If you ever cross your legs while sitting, kick that habit

Also what % incline do you do you use on a treadmill? If you don't have enough of an incline, it can torch your hip flexors which are an antagonist muscle to your glutes.

Hope you overcome it soon!

Thanks MMC for all the useful information. That link is great, I added it to my favorites. I generally put the TM at 1% as a default, but put it up for periods during easy runs to get some hills in.

I've had significantly less pain the last several days, so hopefully I'm over the worst of it.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - glad you’re getting them! They’re almost too warm, it’s crazy. I’ve been having such cold hands when I put on gloves, but those are making my hands sweat. It’s like I need something in between for days in the 30s.

JT - glad to hear you’re having some improvement! Huge fan of trigger point work so definitely follow some of the stuff MMC linked to.

Not sure who will be doing the tracking on CIM day, but the tracker is up and running with names loaded. Looks like the same service NYRR uses, which is better than most of the other races I’ve seen:

https://track.rtrt.me/e/CRRM-CIM-2019#/tracker

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not sure who will be doing the tracking on CIM day, but the tracker is up and running with names loaded. Looks like the same service NYRR uses, which is better than most of the other races I’ve seen:

I’ll definitely be tracking Calbears. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I really hope he goes sub 3, gives you more motivation to train!

cinnamon girl

JTReeves - sounds like you're in good hands literally .. you'll be back!  If I had someone like that I would make regular visits even after this niggle is healed.

JMac - legs still feeling like crap? Smile another tip - have cash for tolls between SF and Sac. Sounds like you get the gist of my line.

Slammin - sounds like you're planning on Going Big again.  I'm not sure you do it any other way 

Patrick - probably thoroughly enjoying his donuts. Good guy!

Mikkey - yeah I was planning on Boston 2021. 2nd time running it, 10 years later. Yes - time certainly flies the older we get! Looking forward to it.

Andres - you're running in Barcelona this weekend?? Coolio. Have a great time!!

Who will be tracking CIM. I'll be getting my run in before work so I'll have to catch up later.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac I figured when you’re talking about cold hands I had better listen up. We have low 30s this week and after training for an April marathon once before I’m not doing it without gloves. If you want to check out a Jelly Belly factory there is one on the way to Sacramento. Also a Budweiser factory, and a bunch of farm land in Davis.

Ill post my bib number saturday. If someone who Strava stalks me wants to post it if I forget, you have my permission.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

long-term forecast for Folsom, CA, start of CIM on 12/8 - 58oF/43oF with showers and 6 mph wind. If it's not rain and no noticeable wind, it's a great forecast imho, we might even run without glimpse of sun if we are lucky.

Sub 3 at CIM - strangely not really care much, it's about 17 months ahead and good training. I pretty much guarantee Mikkey will be motivated at some point - I guess he is competitive like we all are? Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Swim5599

The conditions at CIM Last year  were absolutely perfect.  Either that or I just enjoyed the hell out of the day so much the weather didn’t matter.

The Hay s officially in the barn.  98 total

mon 7 8:30

tue AM 12.75 with 8x5:00 at T power (5:40)

Pm 10 with 5 miles at HMP power 6:00

wed 7 8:30

thurs 7 8:28

fri AM 12.30 with 5x8:30 just over T power 5:50

Pm 10 with 5 miles at HMP power 5:58

sat 7 8:33

sun 25 as 87 min easy than 2x40:00 at MP power 6:12