First Half Marathon! (Read 916 times)

I finally gave in to peer pressure and ran my first half marathon today! Unfortunately, it was under less than ideal conditions. I've been nursing a knee injury for about 3 weeks which really limited my running over the last couple of weeks. The course was also chock full of wind... it didn't even matter what direction we were running. Heading north, we ran into wind... heading south, we somehow ran into the same wind. Completely baffling and totally exhausting. All of that said, I'm happy to report that my first attempt at the half marathon was a successful one. I finished in 22nd place overall (out of 3327) and 4th in my age group with a time of 1:21:22. Big grin I learned two things today. Going from primarily being a 5k guy to doing a half marathon is a pretty substantial jump. My last 5 miles were not fun to say the very least. The second thing I learned? I don't ever want to run a full marathon. Ever. The jury's still out on another half, though.
      Nice job! Wind blows, as they say. May wanna put this in the race report forum. And never say never to the marathon. You're halfway there!
      C-R

Way to go Westward Just think a full is only 2 more 10ks and a cool down. It is an accomplishement to finish a half and a marathon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

Great time. Well done!
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

SaMOKING fast! Nicely done.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Lazy idiot

Nice job, Chris! I was thinking of you on Saturday morning when I got up. glad to hear things went well. now you just gotta stay healthy. Big grin I talked with Eric Fruth last weekend and I told him of the promise I made to you to make it out to a Saturday morning run. Now he's gonna make me, too. Just have to wake up before 10, that's all.

Tick tock

That's a really good race if your best 5k time of late has been 17:42. Well done.
                  Nice job, Chris! I was thinking of you on Saturday morning when I got up. glad to hear things went well. now you just gotta stay healthy. Big grin I talked with Eric Fruth last weekend and I told him of the promise I made to you to make it out to a Saturday morning run. Now he's gonna make me, too. Just have to wake up before 10, that's all.
                  Thanks, man! That's cool that you talked to Eric. As long as you're able to drag yourself out of bed at around 7, you'll have enough time to get ready and meet up for the run. Once you've been to a couple, it's easy to get to know the coffee crew... and then you'll be hooked! Big grin
                    Thank you to everyone for the kudos! Smile
                      Hey, if I'm not to late to get in on the Kudoin' That is freakin' awsome! I mean AWESOME! You go man, you go.