Wrist Based HR (Read 342 times)

runnershawn

My Garmin 225 is so erratic.  I was going to look at getting scosche plus that goes on your forearm and then pair it with the garmin.  it has good reviews and much more accurate.

http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-heart-rate-monitor-armband

SMART Approach

Mine was erratic at start but fine now after I figured it out the last few months. It needs to be fairly tight on the wrist-it will be erratic if not tight.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Thought I'd chime in:

I have a TomTom Spark 2 Cardio Runner (with music).  I already had several pairs of Bluetooth headphones, so I did not get a pair of headphones with the watch.

Before running with only Spark 2, I ran with both my chest strap based HRM and the TomTom (tried it on both wrists) over a week or so,  To minimize issues with the chest strap monitor, I used the electrode gel that I had been using for a while to provide good electrical contact from the start.  In general, I found the two matched within a beat or two per minute.  I have experienced both high and low readings at the beginning of a run with the Spark 2.  They have been rare, however.  I found that having the watch well tightened and my being warmed up tends to eliminate issues.  The HRM data track each other quite well.

Again over the course of a run, I have gotten identical results (average HR, peak HR, time in HR zone).  Note: I also have a Mio Link which I believe uses the same technology as the TomTom.  On my phone, I can simultaneously connect with the Mio and my chest strap HRM. I can and have downloaded all of the data as CSV files to compare the readings.

I have become satisfied that the data is as accurate as a chest strap monitor which is hard to keep on 24/7.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335