2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - That's right, mine is next weekend (same as yours).

Brew - I'm absolutely ready. Not running (tapering), stuffing calories into my feed hole (carb loading). That's the way to do it, right?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

It doesn't count.

How stupid. "Since the race doesn't pay us money your record doesn't count." At least his shoes were approved.

I like Gene's answer. "I should have done my homework" as it is the number one reason I didn't run a local marathon. They'd never tell me if the race was a qualifier anymore. They never announced their certification was expired. They'd changed the course to a 2 lap course, it ended up being under 26 miles, and I didn't want to risk running a marathon to be told it didn't count.  Also, kudos to him for not really caring about being the record holder. I'd probably take the same approach at 70 years old after having run a 2:54.

Huh? What doesn't count? You kidding, right? I knew some smart ass will try to be smart and comes up with that link. I should've even guess who that will be .

A man ran 2:54 on a legitimate course at the age of 70!!!. So, what that they didn't accept it as a World Record? It's not really about that, at least not for me and I believe, not for that guy. Yes, that would be a great stuff if the time was recognized as the record, but that would be just an icing on a cake.

A man, at the age of 70 !!! ran 2:54 marathon !!! What doesn't count? It counts perfectly fine for me. As it should for you too and that what counts!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Just in case folks forgot, Keen is racing this weekend. Best of luck!!! I can't wait to see how this strategy of going for sub 3 at the marathon mark and then struggling home for 50K works.

The downhill Revel Big Bear marathoner from Queens does that every year. He had his first sub 2:45 last year (2:43).  He says the trick is to keep jogging if you walk you can not restart.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The downhill Revel Big Bear marathoner from Queens does that every year. He had his first sub 2:45 last year (2:43).  He says the trick is to keep jogging if you walk you can not restart.

I've been thinking about strategy for this attempt the last few days, and that's what I decided on: cross the 26.2 mat and immediately slow down to something that's hopefully sustainable for another 4.8 miles so I can avoid walking if at all possible.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ah keen sorry I can't read the calendar. I've spent too much time with the Kiwis over in sub 1:30.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ah keen sorry I can't read the calendar. I've spent too much time with the Kiwis over in sub 1:30.

This brings me great joy

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Huh? What doesn't count? You kidding, right? I knew some smart ass will try to be smart and comes up with that link. I should've even guess who that will be .

A man ran 2:54 on a legitimate course at the age of 70!!!. So, what that they didn't accept it as a World Record? It's not really about that, at least not for me and I believe, not for that guy. Yes, that would be a great stuff if the time was recognized as the record, but that would be just an icing on a cake.

A man, at the age of 70 !!! ran 2:54 marathon !!! What doesn't count? It counts perfectly fine for me. As it should for you too and that what counts!

LOL, we’re of an older generation!.....my biggest running goal since 2012 was to run a Moose Mug time and none of my closest mates even knew what that meant, it was a personal goal that was only important to myself.

Keen - I will wish you good luck next week. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Change of plan for me as I won’t be running my local half this weekend after all.....I’ll be watching one of my all time sport hero’s with a few mates ....TYSON FURY.  For anyone that is not familiar with him....google his rising from the dead during the 12th round in the last Wilder fight. It will start around 5am UK Sunday morning.  A true legend rather than someone who runs fast in a pair of spring shoes!

I will be running a half tune up race at a later date.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My inner Slammin ego needs me to keep my Sub 3 streak at London going.....

2011 - 2:59

2012 - 2:58

2013 - 2:51

2014 - 2:57

2015 - 2:54

2016 - 2:51

2017 - 2:58

2018 - DNS (Sub 3 - Thanks Dan 👍)

2019 - 2:50

2020 - ?

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

My inner Slammin ego needs me to keep my Sub 3 streak at London going.....

2011 - 2:59

2012 - 2:58

2013 - 2:51

2014 - 2:57

2015 - 2:54

2016 - 2:51

2017 - 2:58

2018 - DNS (Sub 3 - Thanks Dan 👍)

2019 - 2:50

2020 - ?

Touche my old friend.

Meanwhile you keep your Huge PRs in your little signature. 

You can attack me all you want he got what he deserved you will too if you keep pushing.

He always came after me I have to light him up real good and he backs off but not before I have to take tings to a serious level.

You guys play the daily passive aggressive bullshit. Homey don't play that when I've had enough I'm dropping a MOAB B, so you keep the lil digs coming. Little dog droppings still make for a shitty front yard.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just saw it on youtube without looking for it actually - 2:54 marathon at age of 70 - so, if you are in your 30s, 40s or 50s and run slower, shame on you all !!!

2:54 marathon at the age of 70

I believe Gene has also bettered every AG 70-74 US ultra record from 50K to 24-hours but some of them have yet to be ratified.  He also holds the HM record.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Touche my old friend.

Meanwhile you keep your Huge PRs in your little signature

You can attack me all you want he got what he deserved you will too if you keep pushing.

He always came after me I have to light him up real good and he backs off but not before I have to take tings to a serious level.

You guys play the daily passive aggressive bullshit. Homey don't play that when I've had enough I'm dropping a MOAB B, so you keep the lil digs coming. Little dog droppings still make for a shitty front yard.

Aww thanks buddy, I will. 👍

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Aww thanks buddy, I will. 👍

Fine with me you said you’re a loyal dog so keep shitting on my lawn. Thank you for being supportive in the past but he never was. you see some people get bitter and unfulfilled in there 50s and hold little silly school boy grudges. I guess maybe in your 70s as you’re nearing your end you’ll all be a nicer guys but troll on. Now your life is long so you can waste your energy pontificating on the size of my ego and 💩 on my comments.

Just remember no old ass ever sits on a death bed and say “I wish I was more of a dick in life”.

I am going for a run enjoy your weekend old friend.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve put my bet on...Fury to beat Wilder by knockout in round 5.  C’mon The Gypsy King!

Cyberic

In my ongoing quest for finding ways to do quality workouts in the winter, ideally that fit during lunch break and in which I don't run too fast because the indoor track I have access to is square and turning those corners again and again when running fast is hard on my old, tall and skinny body (phew, what a recap), I tried the Aussie Quarters workout yesterday, and it went well. I liked it.

8 x (400m on / 200m floats).

Avg pace on the 400s  - 6:00/mile

Avg pace on the 200s  - 7:04/mile

It's a good option I think. The key will be to remind myself not to hammer the 400s, but to recover less and less on the floats.