Race Report: Lt. JK Stone 50K (Read 335 times)

My first "ultra," which I referred to as the "sippy cup of ultras." The "real" ultra runners who were running it liked that analogy. Let's start by saying the day went to hell pretty early. Or late. I had mis-set the alarm. Instead of 5:30 am, I did PM. My wife, Kathleen, woke up at 6:38 am and said, Dan: It's 6:38 AM! So, a leisurely breakfast, home toiletting (vs Portapotty) and a hot shower to loosen the legs were out. Quick water, coffee, protein shake and Kathleen and I were out the door at 7 am. Cliff bar on the speedy drive. At least I set my gear out the night before. The race was very small: 40 or 50 maybe? Obviously, they didn't wait for me. Friendly, helpful race staff wrote down that I started 26:18 minutes late and made sure I followed a tricky beginning correctly! I wanted this to be a training run for Boston, and I had planned to pace myself, but, I was late, and it was a race, so all I could think was: Run like hell and catch up! Impossible, and it's not like I thought I could win, but I had my time goals, which I met. I did catch some people, would run w/ some for a bit and chat. I felt pretty good throughout, didn't walk the course, and only had two GUs, some Gatorade, two or three Cliff blocks and two or three Fig Newtons. Not much, I think. I had @ 4-5 GUs in my last marathon. No snow on the course (about an inch on the grass and trees: pretty) so that was good. But it was @ freezing, low headwind in some parts, some slight hiills. Essentially, 6X5 mile laps, plus a bit extra at the start. I felt good throughout. The first lap was too fast for sure, and the second, and third, then I forced myself to slow, but I didn't hit the wall. Kathleen said I didn't look great at 26, but hey, that's almost done! As usual, a nice yell for myself as I crossed the finish. The numbers: Total time as recorded by them (minus my 26:18 lateness) : 50K: 4:01:30 = 7:46 pace. That's with stopping to pee once & stopping for water, Gatorade, snacks at 11, 16, 21, 26 miles. I stopped the Garmin for those stops and the Garmin also put me at 31 miles flat. Which is "right" distance: Garmin or the course? So, my 3:56:18 on 50K = 7:36.3 pace vs 7:38 pace for 31 miles. Take what you want. I logged it officially as 31 miles with the 7:38 pace,but put the other numbers in the notes section. Afterward, stretching was provided and beer and food. I had two beers, a banana, half a bagel and the rest of my protein shake. I feel great. Got a finisher's medal about an inch in diameter less than a CD and a shortsleeve tech shirt. Now, me want run farther! Thanks for reading.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice work, even with the poor start...reminds me how useful redundant alarms are (I set my PDA and my cell phone, at the least). I'll raise a beer in your honor--we both had difficult races today...yours was just longer. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'd call that a happy ending to a shitty start. And 31 miles, sippy-cup? I am still looking at 26.2 with yearning.