Mask for running in age of COVID-19 (Read 171 times)

Ghyndui

I am looking for looking for a brand or type of mask that I could wear while running in this age of COVID-19.

I am of a higher age demographic and probably slightly more for susceptible to the virus due to a lifetime of respiratory allergies.

I've seen pictures of elite runners wearing mask because of asthma, etc.  However, I have no idea what brand or type they're wearing.

Any recommendations?

I am looking for looking for a brand or type of mask that I could wear while running in this age of COVID-19.

I am of a higher age demographic and probably slightly more for susceptible to the virus due to a lifetime of respiratory allergies.

I've seen pictures of elite runners wearing mask because of asthma, etc.  However, I have no idea what brand or type they're wearing.

Any recommendations?

The consensus is that a mask doesn't help YOU much from contracting the virus, but it prevents others from spreading it a lot. It catches all those dirty bits before they get out into the air.

The best advice I would give is to run in places where there aren't any other people. I found a "secret" spot that's worked out great.

What in the world is Galen Rupp wearing? (photo, video) - oregonlive.com

But if you feel like you need to wear a mask because of your location and situation, the one Rupp wore for allergies is a reusable neoprene mask with replaceable filters. I have one like it I bought at Harbor Freight as a dust mask years ago, but they don't sell them anymore. There is a version on Amazon. Be aware that a mask is non-compliant for CV19 if it does not filter your exhalations. Any mask with one-way vents to let air out is non-compliant to wear in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Anti-Pollution-Windproof-Breathing-Motorcycling/dp/B086QZ5LR8/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=Neoprene+Face+Mask&qid=1593400915&sr=8-34

Naroo mask makes them for sports:

https://naroomask.com/lineup/

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Ghyndui

Thanks for the info

SMART Approach

Will you be running with a group of people in close quarters? If running solo your risk is "extremely" low. Much much much lower than walkiing in any store with a mask.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ghyndui

Regretfully I run in town, sometimes in areas near a lot of people such as open air cafés.  As my city reopens this is becoming more common.  Unfortunately, most of the people in these areas are younger and not wearing masks.  As I'm an older person with occasional breathing problems from allergies, I worry every time I pass such an area or any group.

I'll keep looking.

SMART Approach

It is nice to be cautious and it is difficult to have zero risk if running around a lot of people. Also realize that not only do you require exposure but also a large enough dose. Susceptibility would be greater standing around people or in a room with people who have it where you get repeated exposures. If running by someone, (assuming they have it), it would likely take a cough at you while you run by to get a significant exposure.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jeffdonahue

I know this topic was kind of dropped back in july, but Massachusetts just issued a new mask mandate that we need to wear masks whenever out in public.  up until now I've just run and brought a mask with me and just pulled it up when I got near somebody else, but I'd like to comply with the protocol.

I ran today on the treadmill at they gym for a mile, just to give it a go.  For the most part, it wasn't too bad.  The biggest issue was that after a bit of breathing I think my breathing got the mask moist and later in the mile when I breathed in the mask would kind of suction to my mouth which just doesnt work.

So does anyone have any suggestions for an exercise mask that holds its shape so that this does not happen?

Thanks

Half Crazy K 2.0

So does anyone have any suggestions for an exercise mask that holds its shape so that this does not happen?

Thanks

I haven't tried it, but Under Armour makes some sort of sports mask.

Are you running indoors or out? Once it gets colder, will a multi layer buff work (and serve the purpose of keeping your face warm?

jeffdonahue

I haven't tried it, but Under Armour makes some sort of sports mask.

Are you running indoors or out? Once it gets colder, will a multi layer buff work (and serve the purpose of keeping your face warm?

I run mostly outside right now.  Typically in the winter I do a lot of running on the treadmill though, but this winter I am expecting it will still be more outside.

I've tried a few buffs and gaiters, but had the same issue - the fabric was too thin so when i was running up a hill or hard and was breathing a it heavier than my easier running pace, the fabric would just get sucked into my mouth making it near impossible to keep going.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I run mostly outside right now.  Typically in the winter I do a lot of running on the treadmill though, but this winter I am expecting it will still be more outside.

I've tried a few buffs and gaiters, but had the same issue - the fabric was too thin so when i was running up a hill or hard and was breathing a it heavier than my easier running pace, the fabric would just get sucked into my mouth making it near impossible to keep going.

I've seen a few people running or walking in the surgical style masks. I would think you;d have the same issue with those.

They make mask brackets for primarily protecting your make up. Would something like that help? Not sure if that would stay in place.

I know this topic was kind of dropped back in july, but Massachusetts just issued a new mask mandate that we need to wear masks whenever out in public.  up until now I've just run and brought a mask with me and just pulled it up when I got near somebody else, but I'd like to comply with the protocol.

I ran today on the treadmill at they gym for a mile, just to give it a go.  For the most part, it wasn't too bad.  The biggest issue was that after a bit of breathing I think my breathing got the mask moist and later in the mile when I breathed in the mask would kind of suction to my mouth which just doesnt work.

Thanks

You might try using a N95 or surgical mask that has strong structure, like a good dustmask, cut some holes in it and then cover it with a thin buff/gaiter. The mask framework should keep the fabric from getting sucked in, and the fabric itself is easy enough to breath through.

I know it's the letter of the law, face covering, and not the intent of the law; reducing chance of spreading virus. Thin lycra isn't going to do that great of a job at keeping virus respiration from getting out. But you gotta follow the law. So far, we just have to stay 6' away from people outside, so I go running in a place where I pass by few if any people. Someone mentioned it's now 30' in some places, but I haven't checked.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks

I wear a Hoo Raghttps://www.hoorag.com/. They are compliant with all mask mandates I'm aware of and I bought them FOR running. The fleece ones are nice if you can layer it over your face and not have it bother you. They're having sales right now and Iv'e considered buying a 10 pack with new mandates, and with how much I wear them when I run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

KCRuns

The Under Armour sports mask holds it's shape and is easy to breathe through.  It goes around the ears and doesn't have the strap around your head.  If you want one with the strap around the head to pull up when needed and take down when you don't, the Mission sports mask is good, though it doesn't hold it's shape so it will touch your mouth when breathing in, but it's easy to breathe through so it's not bothersome, at least to me, YMMV.