Bike recommendations (Read 487 times)

I'm considering doing my first triathlong this summer (sprint distance). I can run (well..I'm working on it anyway), I can swim. I know how to ride a bike, but I don't own one. Seems like a required piece of equipment for the bike leg of the triathlon. Here's the deal: 1. I'm poor, I don't have a ton of money to spend on a bike. Like, 100 bucks max. 2. I live on a dirt road, with nothing but other dirt roads for miles, and I want to be able to use my bike around home and not just have to take it to pavement to ride it (so I don't think a pure road bike would really fit my plan) 3. I'm not a gadget kind of person, I don't want or need a fancy bike, I'm not doing the tri as a competition with others so much as just proof to myself to finish it. So with that in mind I figure I have a few options. One being to buy a cheap mountain bike from walmart/target, except I don't know if those bikes are even any good or if other tri people will see me on a [insert cheap brand name here] and laugh me out of the race. Another option is to buy used off craigslist or something, but I don't really know what I need. I understand you can buy a mountain bike and have another set of road tires for it and swap them, that sounds like it might solve #2 above. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    2009 Goals:
    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
    Run a 10K
    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
    Complete my first Sprint Tri
      I am not saying this to be an ass, but good luck on the $100 bike. Even a used $100 bike won't be that good. You may find one, but I doubt it. Bikes are not cheap, now you don't have to spend a huge amount of money, but I doubt you can get anything half way decent (even used) for under $400. Like I said I am not trying to be a dick here, I am just telling you the way things are. As far as walmart bikes go. I would stay away from them, because the people putting them together don't have a clue what they are doing and they are made very poorly. As far as the type of bike you are looking for; a Cross bike sounds more like what you would be looking for, because they are easier to go from dirt to road. A mountain bike would be very cumbersome during a triathalon. You can check out bikesdirect.com Many bike enthusiast may say those bikes are crap, but if you don't have a whole lot of money to spend they are your best bet for new bikes. EDIT: In fact, here are two decent cross bikes http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/ltcross.htm Single speed, no gears to worry about. (Less Maintenance) http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm EDIT2: Be sure to check craigslist. Also, proper fit is a necessity. You don't want a bike that is too small or one that is too big.

Slo

If you look long enough and hard enough you'll find one. Nice thing about the current economy, lots of people needing to make a buck. Here's what a friend of mine did.........he eye-balled peoples garages. I'm not sure how many people he asked but he bought himself a fairly nice bike for $150 bucks by asking someone how much they wanted for that bike hanging in the garage. He finally found someone who realized that that bike hanging in the corner was just taking up space. Put the feelers out......I'll bet there's someone you work with that has a bike that ain't using it.