Toe Curling (Read 262 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I had a black #2 toe, it cleared up w/o falling off.  Now the toe is numb and calloused at the top.  I think I curl my toes up when running and the numbness seemed to get worse in the cold weather.  Is there anything to put in the shoe or on the toe to prevent the curling? Kind of hard to think about uncurling while running.

Jill_B

I fly.

I notice that I sometimes curl my toes when my legs start to get tired.  (Usually towards the end of a long run I'll feel myself doing it.)  I try to remind myself to stop.

I haven't heard of too many other runners doing this (when I've mentioned it to other runners they usually think I'm nuts).  If you think the cold is causing it to be worse, you could try putting toe warmers on your socks and see if that helps.  I really have no other ideas on how to stop it other than to concentrate on not doing it.  Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Bring it on.

Hoban-Jay

I had a black #2 toe, it cleared up w/o falling off.  Now the toe is numb and calloused at the top.  I think I curl my toes up when running and the numbness seemed to get worse in the cold weather.  Is there anything to put in the shoe or on the toe to prevent the curling? Kind of hard to think about uncurling while running.

If you land on the balls of your feet, and forefoot....you won't curl your toes...in fact they will natually spread out.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tried focusing on keeping toes up while running. Kind of hard to do while navigating the potholes and slowed me down.  Would I need a bigger shoe for the toe warmers?

Jill_B

I fly.

Tried focusing on keeping toes up while running. Kind of hard to do while navigating the potholes and slowed me down.  Would I need a bigger shoe for the toe warmers?

No, they are flat.  http://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-HotHands-Adhesive-Warmer-Value/dp/B00DPKYI3W/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1

Bring it on.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tried the toe warmers, but I put them on top.  Probably still helps the toe curling having the warm toes.  My fingers must be connected to my toes, since splaying my fingers helps me splay my toes.  Numbness is probably half what it was.

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm glad they helped a bit.

Bring it on.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Last year I would curl my toes on some runs. Can't remember under what conditions, or if there was even any consistency to it. I remember that the problem went away after I spent some time concentrating on my form, opening up my stride, and relaxing on my runs.

Good luck!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

jules2

Believe it or not this is a known condition and I didn't realise I had it until I was buying some new trainers and mentioned that I always ended up with a hole in the top of my trainers above my big toe. It's caused by a weak muscle in your toe.

I then realised that every time I take a step my big toe lifts up.

Apparently you can improve the condition by wedging your toe under something and pulling your toes up against it and overtime you strengthen the muscle but I've never got round to trying it.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'll have to get some Toebells.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Will run for scenery.

Tis NOT the season, but you might want to try a tiny bit of barefoot running on pavement.  Like 1/4 mile.  Very gentle.

I am not a BF runner.  But I did try it about 2 or 3 times.  And one huge thing I discovered was that I have a strong tendency to keep my right #2 toe clenched.

What happens is that if any part of your foot isn't landing correctly, you get a little friction there.  Which is why you only do a tiny bit.  After my first run I had a teensy bit of a hot spot on the tip of #2R. I was puzzled.   The second time I paid particular attention and noticed the clenching tendency.  I relaxed a bunch and it was fine.

When you run barefoot, you kind of let your toes sway up and down, sort of like sea plants in a gentle wave.  Now I kind of focus on that as I run (in shoes!) : make sure my toes are all relaxed, waving and "landing" just right.

When you run in shoes, having relaxed and flexible toes is optional.  When barefoot, it is absolutely crucial.  So even though I'm not into BF, I think as a learning thing it is very valuable.

Happy toes to you!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!