Do you like other runners? (Read 363 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No, that has nothing to do with it.  Some of the ones I like are significantly faster than me while others are significantly slower.

A few of the reasons I don't like a lot of runners.

• Incessantly talk about running even while not running.  I understand talking running while running but get a freaking life.  My life doesn't revolved around running. '
    • Douchebags who have unscrupulous behavior (local running club has guys using PEDS to "set new PRs", some of these guys are in their 50s)
    • A lot of racers fall into 2 categories: 1) People who don't really care at all about their performance. 2) People who base their whole life on their performance.  I find myself in the middle; I train hard, I push, but if I have a bad day I don't beat myself up.  
    • "Groupies" and evangelists that follow all of the latest crazes (barefoot, minimalist, zero drop, blah, blah, blah, blah.  

There are other reasons but you get the idea.  Some of my best friends are runners but many are not.

For me there’s a difference between not liking someone and not relating to someone. I prefer to train alone, but occasionally help out with pacing for a local training group at weekends and it’s always been a good vibe with a mixture of running and non running conversation. No one has ever pissed me off yet!

I think I’m a Groupie as I do like checking out the latest crazes. I’m still loving my Hokas!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Yooper3.1

• Incessantly talk about running even while not running.  I understand talking running while running but get a freaking life.  My life doesn't revolved around running. '

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoNAVEvqHM&list=RDAOoNAVEvqHM#t=46

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoNAVEvqHM&list=RDAOoNAVEvqHM#t=46

Does FuckSocks work in an office?...surrounded by hobby joggers and competitive jerks?

Maybe he needs a virtual hug. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

of course I like other runners. I like sharing ideas & listening & absorbing info with them..  But I like other people as well for the same reasons.  What I don't like are people who are condescending & think they  know everything & therefore better than others.  This is the case whether they are runners or not.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Does FuckSocks work in an office?...surrounded by hobby joggers and competitive jerks?

Ha ha, welcome to um... Actually I don't know where to start.

kkittenkat

English Villian

In a sense yes, because we can talk about a common passion. We necessarily have things in common. But I don't think I connect more with runners than non-runners. I'd think the percentage of morons is probably about the same.

I need a 'like' button for this post.

Seattle prattle

For the most part, yeah, i like runners.

I think they quite often possess certain tendencies in common, from my experience, and i happen to admire those tendencies.

Those include a willingness to work at a sport that is amongst the least glamorous sports i know, that has no shortage pain, frustration, mystery, intangible qualities necessary for proficiency, and a rather unwavering requirement for patience and perseverance.

In short, it demands a massive amount of effort for rewards that are well beyond the understanding of the vast majority of people out there.

FOr the patient and persistent, i do think it bestows the reward of a humility and humbleness, and that comes from knowing that  they are only as good as their last series of workouts. And it is not they that are great, but that they are temporary recipients of the benefits of the training and sweat that they have managed to harness for the time being.

The runners i've met, i happen to like a lot.

Most every one i know understands that running is something they do to challenge and compete with themselves, and other runners aren't so much competitors as companions on a similar path.

In particular, i remember the runners that i've met at the Boston Marathon, and i think i can safely say that without exception, i knew i was in the presence of very fine, admirable people.

I very much look forward to being amongst them in the coming months.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Does FuckSocks work in an office?.  No..surrounded by hobby joggers and competitive jerks?  Probably

And I only do creepy hugs.  

You people have issues 

kkittenkat

English Villian

I think they quite often possess certain tendencies in common, from my experience, and i happen to admire those tendencies.

Those include a willingness to work at a sport that is amongst the least glamorous sports i know, that has no shortage pain, frustration, mystery, intangible qualities necessary for proficiency, and a rather unwavering requirement for patience and perseverance.

In short, it demands a massive amount of effort for rewards that are well beyond the understanding of the vast majority of people out there.

FOr the patient and persistent, i do think it bestows the reward of a humility and humbleness, and that comes from knowing that  they are only as good as their last series of workouts. And it is not they that are great, but that they are temporary recipients of the benefits of the training and sweat that they have managed to harness for the time being.

Most every one i know understands that running is something they do to challenge and compete with themselves, and other runners aren't so much competitors as companions on a similar path.

In particular, i remember the runners that i've met at the Boston Marathon, and i think i can safely say that without exception, i knew i was in the presence of very fine, admirable people.

I really like this post.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I really like this post as well.

RA need to get some like buttons. C’mon Eric Smile get it sorted.

paul2432

Seattle - Hang out at Letsrun.com for a while and report back.