2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I wish I could have stayed to hang out longer. Wife had a plane trip. If you think THAT was a high you should have seen me across the finish line. Oh and I was camouflaged wearing a blue zippered paper hoodie jacket. I was expecting your hoodie to have a large logo on the back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Lurk mode off

Jmac - I'm glad my pestering brought you there! It's a pity that Berlin would have you training through summer cause that would give you some fantastic time.

Lurk mode back On.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

cinnamon girl

Thanks for posting your race report JMAC. Averaging 70+ miles for 10 weeks without injury or major niggle is a big deal Smile You've gotten stronger from this cycle. See where the journey takes you.

Andres1045

JMac - Great write up. As for next year, you may consider getting a coach. I don't think I've ever suggested that to anyone, but it may do you some good. I agree you haven't plateaued, and you can continue to improve with what you've done. But at this point, you do run the risk of boredom/burnout. Getting someone that can throw some different things your way, and get you out of your comfort zone every once in a while could keep things interesting.

I also really liked Brew's write up. I'm getting excited to see him, Mikkey and Cal battle it out in Boston (off the roads). I totally expect to have Mikkey and Cal repeatedly tell us all that we have no idea what we're talking about and that we need to come back to them when we're ancient and our teeth are falling out.

Interesting comments about the weather from those that ran CIM. Aside from those here, there were a variety of different results compared to expectations from those that I run with. Several right on pace. Some that were in great shape suffered a lot, despite going out reasonably. And at least one blew expectations out of the water for a 2:43, which was a 10+ minute PR despite averaging low 40s. We've had a great start to the cooler weather, but we had an amazingly long summer that was brutal. I wonder if some people lose adaptations quicker than others.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac: I enjoyed your race report. It was great to have you finally run an easy (or maybe better to say "normal") course and show what you could do. And there is still a lot of room for you to improve: you are young and you likely have not maximized the mileage you can handle in a cycle. I agree with Mikkey that sub 2:30 is in the cards for 2020.

Brew:  Loved the race report, especially starting out with some Pantera . My son has been playing (on guitar) a ton of Metallica and recently is branching out to Pantera, and Mouth for War is one of his favorites. For guitar players who love the palm-muted chugging that is Metallica, Dimebag took it to a whole New Level (pun intended). So sad that he and his brother are no longer with us. Anyway, great stuff to listen to for hard intervals on the TM!

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Damn Jmac really inspired by your trip report, especially as I'm dealing with the mental part of gearing up to run one of my last big marathon pace workouts tomorrow since I'll have to deal with temperatures in the low 70's (TDP > 140) Sad  As I've said multiple times already congrats on the PR and a great executed race.  I also think that Central Park has been key in your training with doing those monster workouts on those rollers!  I've also been trying to follow a similar path with my current cycle with my EZ days and shortening up the cycle overall.  We shall what my race day brings me in a few weeks!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT I swear I was adopting that song as my anthem this year going into marathon training. I actually thought I'd have to bring it up during the final miles to just dig deep and hammer down. I also thought I'd end up crying as I crossed the finish line if I went sub 3. neither happened.

Andres I'm not battling anything. I'm going to sandbag it and get photos or videos for evidence. Boston is way too hard of a course to PR from what the internet tells me. CIM is easier to PR because of it's net 340 ft drop. Boston has those really hard hills strategically placed around 18 or 20. Another sub 3 WOULD be nice to have that guarantee I could go back.

The weather reminds me of something I heard in NASCAR. If you ask the guy in first place what the weather is like he'll say it's raining too hard to continue. If you ask the guy in second he'll ask"what rain?" All I noticed is the rain went away, the wind wasn't as strong, and my shirt stuck to me at one point. CIM is 22 miles of rolling hills, 40-60F temps and 40-60% humidity. If I run it again I'm going to do more and more rolling hills even though my legs felt amazing after the race and even two days later I felt good enough to run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - Great RR and I hope you continue after Boston next year and go for Sub 2:30 at CIM? next year. I agree with Andres about a good coach...you took on board what Slammin said about the slower easy runs and you don’t seem to be too stubborn. Definitely worth thinking about!

Brew - Very entertaining RR!....I’m thinking of going on a creative writing course next year as I’ve never posted a proper RR! So what’s next? Was Sub 3 the ultimate goal or are we going to see an even fitter/swearier Brew at Boston?

Weatherboy/Andres - You are both looking very good. 👍

Me - I’ve still got this annoying heel pain which came out of the blue in August and it wasn’t even during a training cycle! I finally decided to visit the doc last week and he thinks it might be a heel spur, so I’m having an x ray on Monday and should know the results following week. I still have to qualify for Boston and ideally I want to go at least Sub 3 at London or before September next year so that I can start in the same corral as Cal. I want an eyeball to eyeball at the start line with him whilst the American national anthem is playing. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

mikkey Probably take a break from running, spend money on my 1989 XJ Cherokee for off roading and then I think a 1:25 half marathon is in order. I've signed up for on locally in April so training weather should suck (cold snowy winter or rain) just like it will for Boston 2021, but keeping that mental strength is probably going to help. Plus with it being 4 months away and all the fitness I've built up it just makes sense. If I'm REALLY good I can bet under 1:23 and apply to get into the New York Marathon for 2021. Oh and my writing style has been explained as "stream of consciousness" in style. check out the one from Mt. Charleston, or Western States pacing if you really want some colorful language. I remembered more from those two races than CIM. Good luck on the sub 3 attempt. You should have just run CIM. It's such an easy course even calbears can go sub 3 without being in shape. 

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Me - I’ve still got this annoying heel pain which came out of the blue in August and it wasn’t even during a training cycle! I finally decided to visit the doc last week and he thinks it might be a heel spur, so I’m having an x ray on Monday and should know the results following week. I still have to qualify for Boston and ideally I want to go at least Sub 3 at London or before September next year so that I can start in the same corral as Cal. I want an eyeball to eyeball at the start line with him whilst the American national anthem is playing. 👍

Wow - I honestly thought you are doing some shady training logging miles into some secret place so I could not see your progress Smile Yeah, please take care of your weak body asap - I do not need to hear any excuses in a year Smile Re the start in the same corral - that could be tricky - the thing is, if I am not mistaken, Wave 1 has 7 or 8 corrals? And each of those corrals is separated a little at the start - so, we need to have really close times to be in the same corral and eye to eye Smile Should not be a problem if you run something like 2:59:XX, but if you run faster, should not be a problem too - I am planning on running couple of marathons next year (one of them another CIM, obviously, so, I can try to finish at some specific time range - I hope I will be in a little better shape than I was for this CIM.

I also really liked Brew's write up. I'm getting excited to see him, Mikkey and Cal battle it out in Boston (off the roads). I totally expect to have Mikkey and Cal repeatedly tell us all that we have no idea what we're talking about and that we need to come back to them when we're ancient and our teeth are falling out.

Ha-ha-ha Andres! The funny thing, and I know you won't believe me, but I was in my 30s at one point of my life too Smile And I will tell you - the "teeth are falling out" stage of your life will come to you guys much faster than you anticipate it  Unfortunately...

JMac and Brew - great reports, actually I will say, one report was great and another - entertaining (and great too Smile - you guys have a talent of putting a lot of letters together in a very smooth manner  But after reading them, I think it just assured Mikkey even more that all my CIM finish times just pure fake...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

mikkey 

Good luck on the sub 3 attempt. You should have just run CIM. It's such an easy course even calbears can go sub 3 without being in shape. 

You see - CIM jokes will never end... But all aside, I think I had a better cycle than last year and, logically, I ran it faster than last year - though at mile 23 last year I was ahead of me of this year (if it makes sense?)

Can we have some local poll on betting who wins in 2021 - Mikkey or CalBears?  Or is it too much to ask and nobody really cares about it (except me? ) Would be nice to have some additional motivation because of that 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You see - CIM jokes will never end... But all aside, I think I had a better cycle than last year and, logically, I ran it faster than last year - though at mile 23 last year I was ahead of me of this year (if it makes sense?)

Can we have some local poll on betting who wins in 2021 - Mikkey or CalBears?  Or is it too much to ask and nobody really cares about it (except me? ) Would be nice to have some additional motivation because of that 

Cinnamon Girl - You’ve run CIM before....would I smash that course and be waiting for Cal at the finish line?  I think I know the answer. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cinnamon Girl - You’ve run CIM before....would I smash that course and be waiting for Cal at the finish line?  I think I know the answer. 👍

It's only $395 non-stop flight from London to San Francisco right now - the same as for me flying to Boston - decent hotels in Sacramento could be pricey if not reserved early - around $200 per night probably but non-smoking tolerable place can be booked for less than $100 (I would invite you to stay with me but I seriously live in a very small house Sad - though I definitely have a place in my garage - I promise to clean it up to the point of greatness! Smile )- so, let's have round 1 maybe? pre-Boston warm-up? As a good will gesture - I will pay for your race entry? Just a suggestion, you know... 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do we need to crowd source (go fund me) a CIM 2020 for Mikkey?

Cal I think I had an excellent training cycle as well. Just like Jmac I didn't have any injures, I did more miles than ever (I think he pushed me to that as well), and the weather was great for almost every day I ran. Even my 49 day running streak was at 10 miles/day until I went into taper week. I also came in with a more positive attitude. The past 9 months have been a lot of negativity from me.

Boston Over in the 3:20 thread on RWOL members would meet for brunch on Sunday before Patriots Day. Does anything like that happen here, or do you elites just meet at the expo and shake hands formally? I'm coming from the "rag tag" bunch typically found towards the end of a marathon so I'm still not sure how to act around the front runners. Plus I have anywhere between 0 and 7 people who said they're coming to 2021.

CIM 2020 will be a bad weather year. Probably UN-characteristically hot and sunny.

VDOT 53.37 

Andres1045

I'm going with Mikkey.

Upcoming races: Boston