How not to operate a specialty running store (Read 1431 times)

For the time being, there are two running stores in the state, neither of which has really wowed me. Certainly, if other options become available I'd check them out... I try to keep my shopping as local as possible for most of what I buy. I get up to Maine quite a bit, so maybe I'll stock up at the Maine Running Company next time I pass through (drat, I was just there too). As an added note: I took my first run in the Trances tonight. I love the fit, but find they offer less cushioning than I'm used to. I don't mind that, but we'll see how my legs react after repeated use.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

That's really too bad about that store. Sounds more like the service you'd get at a Dick's rather than a local specialty store. You'd think they'd be able to relate and try to help you a little more. The only time I've ever bought shoes at a running specialty store, the people working there almost wouldn't let me buy the shoes I wanted without running around the block in them a couple times. I had to assure them that it was the same brand and model I had been running in before they would let up on it. Speaking of local running stores, has anyone had any experience with Marathon Sports in the Boston area? I'm actually starting a job there next week, and the guy who hired me seemed to really care about customer service. He talked a lot about giving good advice and not wanting to just get people into a pair of shoes and get them out the door. It seems to me like that's pretty much what a local store should be about.
      erendis

For the time being, there are two running stores in the state, neither of which has really wowed me. Certainly, if other options become available I'd check them out... I try to keep my shopping as local as possible for most of what I buy. I get up to Maine quite a bit, so maybe I'll stock up at the Maine Running Company next time I pass through (drat, I was just there too). As an added note: I took my first run in the Trances tonight. I love the fit, but find they offer less cushioning than I'm used to. I don't mind that, but we'll see how my legs react after repeated use.
        depending on where in RI you are, it may be closer for you to go to PR running in westboro, ma. i went there and they were great- lots of shoe types and patient staff. http://www.myprrun.com/
        I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
          depending on where in RI you are, it may be closer for you to go to PR running in westboro, ma. i went there and they were great- lots of shoe types and patient staff. http://www.myprrun.com/
          I'm pretty sure this is the store that Doug (lostinthenet3) is so happy with. He bought a pair of shoes from them, ran in them and found that they weren't the right type. He showed up for a group run wearing a different pair of shoes, and the owner remembered the sale and said why aren't you wearing the (brand x) shoes? He (or she, not sure) insisted that he return the used shoes for credit. That's exactly the kind of service that can (and should) set the small specialty shop apart from the big box guys.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I have to put in my 2 cents as ,I have in the past been a boot fitter for an outdoor store (EMS) they have a good training system and most associates are knowedgable .However this is retail and alot of stores (hiking or running ) even the good ones are staffed by part time people ,service varys with the indivual and the manager that is training /supervising this person. one pointer ,if the clerk doesn't ask to put your foot on a Brannock device (sizing board ) first ,watch out .this is a key step in checking size and SHAPE of your foot.They should measure BOTH feet ,with you standing. I hate to prejudge people but few of the young people that I have worked with or been waited on by have the interest in customer service needed for this job.Old people like me have lived with sore feet and want to help you avoid problems ! You can help them out however ,talking and giving feedback as to fit will go a long way to helping them help you .If they are not asking questions about fit you are in trouble .While everybody starts out asking" how do they feel " it better get more detailed if your going to get the best fit .Bring or wear the socks you will be using helps. I like to fit later in the day when feet are likely to be at thier largest.and I hate to say it ,but I have seen it to much not to,trim your toe nails ,gross !
            Blisters

We have a famous Boston area specialty running store with several locations. Once I went with my wife. We both needed shoes so we were there longer than usual. They recommended Brooks Adrenalines to everyone who came in. Could have been coincidence but it was pretty discouraging.
                There's a specialty running store in Charlotte that I went to about 5 years ago when I decided to start running again after HS/college. I jumped on the treadmill to have my stride analyized, was diagnosed as an overpronater, and sold some model of Nike stability shoes. I started having knee problems. Went back to the store and again got up on the treadmill and was then sold a pair of motion controled shoes. Still lots of pain. I thought my knees must have just been shot from a couple of years XC in high school, so I just gave it up.. I couldn't run more than a mile without severe knee pain.. ..few months ago, I started reading about running again.. just wishing I could run and my knees weren't "ruined". Read up a little on knee problems and I found out that not only was I NOT an over-pronater, but I slightly UNDER-pronated. Angry I got a neutral shoe and haven't had any problems since.. I'm still a little pissed that I've lost 5 years that I could have been running, but at least I'm running now.

Bugs

As an added note: I took my first run in the Trances tonight. I love the fit, but find they offer less cushioning than I'm used to. I don't mind that, but we'll see how my legs react after repeated use.
                  I wore the 7's, heard the 8's were better, but that might have been just sales talk. I loved the 7's for a long time, thought they had great cushion but very inflexiable. I migrated to the Saucony. RW said that the Brook Trance 8 were bio-degradable, for the green runner.

Bugs