What's the worst weather... (Read 633 times)

Giants Fan

You've ever raced in? and how far?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I just ran the Lewis and Clark Marathon in ST Charles, MO. It was during the wash over from Hurricane IKE. I'm not sure it was still a Tropical Storm by the time it hit this morning but it started with heavy rain and wind. At one point crossing I70 the wind was hard enough to make running difficult and made you lean to the side. I'd guess the gusts were at least 25. They cut the course at 10 miles due to safety issues. It was a blast!
        Sweetheart Run 10k this year. 35 degrees, pouring rain and kinda windy. We all just stood around before the gun laughing. We all knew everyone else there was just as crazy. Actually turned out to be pretty fun, and my 10k PR. Stopped raining just as I was finishing, go figure.
        mikeymike

I ran a 16 mile race when it was zero F with -20 wind chills. I guess that was the worst, I guess it depends how you define "worst." It didn't slow me down as much as some hot weather races or snowy/icey races I've run, but it was more uncomfortable.

Runners run

Dave

I did a two mile Army physical fitness test in -16F. Stupid. In general, though, I'd rather have a bit too cold than too hot.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

I ran a 10K in a snowstorm last year. That was FUN WORST weather I ever raced in was 95 and sunny - I think it was an 8K. I went 3 miles at normal pace and then died and mostly walked the last 2 miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Toss-up.... Glass City Marathon (Toledo) 2002. In the high-40s at the start, by 10 miles I was hot so I threw off my polypro shirt to a friend leaving only my singlet. A front came through, the temp dropped to near freezing, rain started, and the wind kicked up hard. I was hypothermic by 16 miles. I would have dropped out there if I wasn't in 2nd. It took me over 3 hours to stop shaking when I was done, I was in really bad shape. Boston Marathon 2004. The HOT year. 85 degrees at the start. Again, would have dropped out but I had a good place going. I said afterward if I ever entered a marathon and it was that hot at the start I would watch from the sidelines. Good thing I gave up on Chicago last year a month out...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Chicago Marathon last year. San Francisco 1/2 marathon in 99 or 2000 - running down the Great Highway with about a 15 mph headwind and hailing. Still, not as bad as Chicago.
                  protoplasm72

Chicago Marathon last year.
                    Same

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Pammie

March 2004 15 mile road race in Banbury (UK) its in the chilterns so hilly Started off with high winds and pouring rain got to 8 miles and the winds doubled in strength heavy rain when you got to the more exposed areas on top of the hills it literally took your breathe away

Half Fanatic #846

Mine was at a small 5K - Soon after the start, it began raining heavily, then lots of lightning really close by. It was so bad that the local cops drove by us in squad cars asking if we wanted a ride to safety. I didn't see anyone get a ride, but we all should have! I was lucky that day! Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!