Bulletproof Coffee Before Fasted Runs (Read 76 times)

Stevepf

If you accept the premise that it is beneficial to do some of your runs in a fasted state, then the question: Does drinking bulletproof coffee (MCT oil and ghee) before an otherwise fasted run negate the benefit?

I'm thinking the benefit is the same as you are not taking in any carbs prior to the run.

What do you think? Thanks!

runnermom61

When I first started being low carb-ish years ago, I would have some coconut oil & heavy cream in my coffee pre-run (no MCT oil pre-run...it didn't sit well on my stomach...although when not running I'd make regular bulletproof coffee with MCT, Kerrygold butter & cream).  The coconut oil & cream have calories of course, so I guess I wasn't doing a technically fasted run, but it worked well and since I wasn't spiking insulin, I was pretty sure I was still burning just fat to run.  But I eventually got away from it and just went with black coffee pre-run, which is still working great.  I can easily do fasted training runs of 4 hours or more.  (Before a marathon or ultra, I'll add back in a little in-run fueling to test it out for race day.  Currently I use UCAN and/or Huma gels.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you're talking carbs fasted...I wouldn't think Bulletproof coffee would be an issue. I was low-carbing/ketogenic a few years ago and having coffee with a small amt of heavy cream and a few drops of liquid Splenda every AM. No issue. I still drink my coffee that way.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Not really a fasted cardio workout then....

but I suppose it's pretty close to 0/low carbs.

from what I've read you get more benefits from having some fuel in your system...

I'm not sure running after a coffee or 2 would work for me...

300m- 37 sec.

Vahensing

If you're talking carbs fasted...I wouldn't think Bulletproof coffee would be an issue. I was low-carbing/ketogenic we become what we behold a few years ago and having coffee with a small amt of heavy cream and a few drops of liquid Splenda every AM. No issue. I still drink my coffee that way.

After many years of drinking my coffee until now, I discovered my coffee recipe through simply following your article. I should try something new with my recipe to achieve new flavors.