Superfeet Insole Break-in Period (Read 51 times)

tritone

Hello - I've been having shin/ ankle pain in my left leg. Sports doc said it was because my arch collapses (pronation) and insoles would alleviate the pain.  I put some superfeet in my Brooks and "voila!" the pain is gone...  HOWEVER the arch of my right foot is now sore.  I've put about 6 miles in them over the past couple of days.  I'm assuming (hoping) the soreness will subside, but want to know if anyone has any personal experience with this.   

DISCLAIMER:  I'm well aware of the anti-insole/ support movement - no need to go down that rabbit hole!

Thanks team!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Which Superfeet are you using?  Blue, green, orange....

I predominately use green in my running shoes (blue for trail shoes, orange for hiking boots).  The arches on the greens are definitely noticeably high for me, but running I haven't had any issues with them.  With only 6 miles, I'd say you're still getting used to them, but if it  continues to be a problem, look for another insole with lower arch support.

As far as the rabbit hole, anyone can look at my training log and eat it. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

I don' think they "break in", they're designed to be a rigid support.

I wore Greens and the Sole brand while I was dealing with PF, and they helped with that, but as the weeks went on they became uncomfortable in the way you describe, and that ache was more than the healing PF, so I phased them out.

You might want to alternate using them to phase them IN until you're used to them. Kind of like new shoes.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Your arch shouldn't be sore.  It's reasonable that you might notice the arch pressure - when I first started using inserts it felt as though there were bumps under my arches, but that feeling went away after a few miles.  Maybe you got too-stiff insoles?

tritone

Thanks for this quick answers!  I'm using the blues right now.  Tried the orange, but they were way to high.  My right arch ("uninjured" leg) doesn't hurt when running, only after.   I did 8 400m sprints last night, so maybe that was too aggressive considering how new the arches are...

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Thanks for this quick answers!  I'm using the blues right now.  Tried the orange, but they were way to high.  My right arch ("uninjured" leg) doesn't hurt when running, only after.   I did 8 400m sprints last night, so maybe that was too aggressive considering how new the arches are...

You might want to try the green (in between the blue and orange).. Your sore arch after the run may be a symptom of not enough support.

In any case, good luck and don't stop running!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

I’d say stick with the blue and give them a little time, maybe alternate days wearing them like Surly Bill said. I have flat feet and blue superfeet have worked great for me for years. I started out with green but they were too high and made my arches hurt.

What kind of shoes are you wearing?  If the shoes are for pronators (motion control), you might be over correcting if you are also using superfeet. I changed from motion control to stability shoes with blue superfeet and my feet have been happy. But YMMV and there might be some trial and error involved.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm starting to think my son might need something like Superfeet. He's 17 and has recently started running with me. He ran XC in 8th grade, but pretty much promptly stopped running entirely after that. He is a pretty strong cyclist, but has crazy flat feet and the weirdest ankles I've ever seen. His dad has super high arches and mine are probably on the lower side of average, but I've been in neutral shoes for years.

Years ago Superfee helped me when I started having some knee issues. I eventually was able to wean back off of them and haven't really needed them, since. But my son is starting to really struggle with shin splints. I had the same issue when I was his age and running...and it's why I really didn't run again until 33 (12 years ago). The few times I'd try to take up running I'd soon run into horrible shin splints that weren't helped by stretching or walking. I didn't have this issue when I started up C25k and haven't really had shin issues in the meantime.

He's in Saucony Guides, so he probably needs more stability.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Changing insoles is probably more radical than changing shoes, it will take a while to get used to them so your feet stop hurting. If' it's your "good" foot that hurst, then the insole is doing it's job for the "hurt" foot. Maybe consider going with the stock insole on your "good" foot, as long as it is the same heel thickness as the Superfeet?

I still consider rigid insoles as a tool for recovering from injuries, not a long-term solution. Unless you have a deformity or other permanent situation because of an injury/surgery.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

tritone

Thanks again everyone for the insightful comments.  Since posting, I've tried by blue superfeet in my neutral runners (Brooks Ghost) (I originally had them in the more stable Adrenaline).  Yesterday I went back to the Adrenaline and did some speedwork with just the factory inserts and fell no pain until the very end of the run.  Right now I'm going to continue rotating - I believe that alone is having some good effect on my recovery by allowing my feet and legs to experience running in different ways.