Herniated Disc and Sciatica (Read 1228 times)

itsonlyme

Well  I can tell you from experience that you can, and will run again. I have had two surgeries, the second time i had my lower back fused.  In my case, I have never regretted it.  The pain was horrible, I was in constant pain, it was not only down my legs, i felt like the air was being squeezed out of me, and i would rather have been beat than travel or sit in a car where i couldn't move around. 

In my case, I continued to run, because as stupid as it sounds, I felt like my back was going hurt anyway, so i may as well do what made my mind feel better. I use my running as a release,like the saying goes "running is cheaper than a therapist"  for me this is the way i deal with a personal loss. There is worse things than physical pain.   I am not saying that everyone should do that, just the opposite, listen to your body but moving around, whether it is walking, jogging etc. is better than laying on the couch. For me, bike riding is worse because it hurts me to bend over. I never have been able to ride for long, i do short rides but nothing over a half hour at a time. I also had disc fragments in my back, the first surgeon took them out cleaned out the disk and put me back together. I was riding my horse a month later but then it started in all over again. I tried the shots, i did physical therapy.  I did everything possible to avoid surgery, but i finally decided that enough was enough, you can only get so many shots and i didn't have time for this, i had things to do! I refused (and still do) to let this condition win! 

Its been six years, now my upper disc is starting to give me trouble and I am sure I will have to have another surgery at some point. I had some cortisone shots (again) to relieve some nerve pain, it is helping so far, but i will keep going. I run half's, walk, hike and ride my horse on a regular basis, and i am in my fifties. I will keep going just as long as i can, so don't give up!  But you have my sympathy it really is miserable, i wish you the best of luck.

FlatFT.runner

I'm scheduled for Lumbar Facet Radio Frequency Labration, on Jan 25th.  This will be fifth time I've let them stick needles in my lower back so hoping for the best. Nothing before has helped. I may be a little weird but about the only time my back doesn't hurt is when I'm running. Takes about 20 minutes to stop hurting after I start running but after that it's smooth sailing. I've had back problems for over ten year now and it's a 24/7 problem to the point of being ready to do what ever it takes to get rid of the pain. The steroid shots did nothing for me and until recently when Doc shot the nerves and told me since I got some relief that this lumbar radio thing was a good treatment for me to try.

I may be a little weird but about the only time my back doesn't hurt is when I'm running. Takes about 20 minutes to stop hurting after I start running but after that it's smooth sailing.

Maybe this isn't so uncommon. Running has the same effect on me, and my back is a mess.

itsonlyme

Same here, as long as I am moving i do so much better. Its when i have to sit at my desk all day that my back kills me. I try to get up and walk around but its just not the same.

Same here, as long as I am moving i do so much better. Its when i have to sit at my desk all day that my back kills me. I try to get up and walk around but its just not the same.

My standing workstation has been a godsend...  have you / can you try one?