2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

How hard could Boston possibly be?  Clown

Put me down for sub 3:00 this April 18 please.  It will be interesting for me though, since I'll also be training for Ironman Lake Placid and people tell me I need to bike more (swim maybe too?!), which will probably mean running less or inventing a time machine or a 30 hour day.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

bhearn

How hard could Boston possibly be?  Clown

I ran my PR there last year, and I've run negative splits there the past four years. Honestly, I think it's a fast course, if you run it the right way.

joescott

Please put me down also, if I may join the group.

Boston, 4/18/2011.

I just qualified a month ago after a two-year marathon break due to injury. 

BTW, I agree with bhearn:  I have PR'd twice at Boston and negative split it one of those times.  If you run it right, it can be a dandy.

Joe

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Are we there yet?

I ran my PR there last year, and I've run negative splits there the past four years. Honestly, I think it's a fast course, if you run it the right way.

+1.. not many of my other marathons have 500K plus spectators cheering along the route.

Can I join?

I'm a long way off 3hrs at the moment, having just run 3.18 a few weeks ago.  But that was a big PR and I've been getting a lot quicker this year.  I'll be looking to add some more miles and drop some more weight and aiming for a marathon late in the year.  I'd guess that New York is most likely (although its quite a long way from home!)

A little bit about me - I'm 36, been running on and off for about 7 years but only really 'got it' since moving to New Zealand about 4 years ago. I'll be working on bringing my half time down in the first half of the year, and then running the New Zealand XC and road season from May-Sep.

Mandy

Feeling the growl again

Boston Marathon 4/18 - 2:27:59

As to the requested introduction, my PR is 2:28:41 (I think :41) from back in 2006.  This chaps my hide because that was was meant to be a sub-2:22 until I injured my hamstring a month out and things fell apart, resulting in my bagging it and just running for a PR after 3 miles in.  It just burns me that my PR is a crappily run race.  I probably only have 1-2 more good shots at the marathon before life makes serious training impossible.  I used to regularly run 100-120 mpw and now getting over 70 is a big challenge.  2010 was my first year back to semi-serious training after 3 years more or less hobby-jogging and I did get back to a 33:19 10K though I botched my marathon with a tweaked hip flexor.

This will be my third Boston -- 2:37 in 2001 (second marathon, dream race), 2:38 in 2004 ( the HOT year, 37th OA).  I run the course well, and know it, so I'm very hopeful that I can reach my goal if I can prioritize the training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

flovesparko

Spaniel, welcome, good to have some super fast guys in here, if you got any secret training tips let us know.  

MandyS -- 6/11/2011 -- New York

Spaniel, welcome, good to have some super fast guys in here, if you got any secret training tips let us know.  

I think he hinted at ONE of the secrets: 100+ miles/week. 

Perhaps that's not a secret but actually doing it amidst the rest of life's responsibilities is a challenge.

btw, I'm in Boston 2011 too, and will be trying for sub 3, again.  Training through the winter should be a "fun"

Feeling the growl again

I think he hinted at ONE of the secrets: 100+ miles/week. 

Perhaps that's not a secret but actually doing it amidst the rest of life's responsibilities is a challenge.

Well yeah, 5 years of escalating mileage and training load, fixing an iron deficiency problem, then dumping on as much training load as my body could handle on for 5 months while shoving off pretty much all other stressors in my life while sleeping 10-11 hrs/night could be called "the secret".  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Would you mind putting me down as well?

I am planning on running at the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon (May 15th), and hoping to run at least sub-3, and hopefully sub 2:40 if training goes well between now and then. I have been a runner for about as long as I have been able to do long division, but I have never run a marathon before. I have run several halves, with my PR being a 71:50 at last years Cellcom. Otherwise I've been running cross country at the collegiate level (my fastest 8k is a 26:29), and now that my eligibility is up I'm looking to step up to some real distance.

DoppleBock

Kevin - Nice to see another Wisconsinite on the list.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Can I join?

I'm a long way off 3hrs at the moment, having just run 3.18 a few weeks ago.  But that was a big PR and I've been getting a lot quicker this year.  I'll be looking to add some more miles and drop some more weight and aiming for a marathon late in the year.  I'd guess that New York is most likely (although its quite a long way from home!)

A little bit about me - I'm 36, been running on and off for about 7 years but only really 'got it' since moving to New Zealand about 4 years ago. I'll be working on bringing my half time down in the first half of the year, and then running the New Zealand XC and road season from May-Sep.

Mandy

MONEY!  Can't say enough about racing shorter distances (including XC) in prep for marathon racing.  Good luck.

PS - Weird that NZ XC season is in May timeframe ... here it's Sept - Nov.  Must be the Northern/Southern hemisphere thing.

MONEY!  Can't say enough about racing shorter distances (including XC) in prep for marathon racing.  Good luck.

PS - Weird that NZ XC season is in May timeframe ... here it's Sept - Nov.  Must be the Northern/Southern hemisphere thing.

Thank you!  

I guess XC is timed to be start of winter?  Its getting pretty cold and wet here by May so perfect muddy XC weather!  We do that through to the National XC Champs in August, then shift to road racing through to NZl Road Champs and National Relays in Sep/Oct.

No Talent Drips

Clive, I echo others in offering my thanks. I think it is great to get these goals "out there"...helps keep me honest.

I'd love to go sub-3 at Boston this year. 4th time running it and my Boston PR is 3:02:XX. I've got two sub 3's in my past, but those were both over 3 years ago. Ran a 3:02Tight lippedx again in 2010--on an "easy" track.

Just starting to really feel motivated to get lean and fast and just recently found this site. Great resource.

Bhearn...tell me more about the right way to run Boston. I'm all ears! 

Dei Gratia