What celebrity deaths have affected you? (Read 349 times)

SheCan

Cary Grant in 1986, because I grew up watching his movies.  I thought he was the perfect man.

Bernie Mac because he acted sooooooo much like my DH.  I think I was kind of in love with him, too.

Tim Russert, don't know why other then I was watching him on the news all the time, and then suddenly he was gone.  Reminded me how  you never know who will be next.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

99.999% of the time, celebrity deaths have no impact on me. They're people I don't know. The only exception that comes to mind for me was Stevie Ray Vaughan. That one did get to me.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

At least there is some sort of legitimate history behind the royals.

I think people felt like they could relate to her because she wasn't all high and mighty like her relatives and every photo you ever saw of her was with her with her arms around a child, often orphans and amputees.  She wasn't in the the pretty dress, but kneeling in the dirt.  It's more Diana the humanitarian, rather than Diana with the crown. The whole actor/actress thing baffles me a little, it's sad they dled, but no more sad than the old guy at the end of my street.

Just got back to my computer after 4 days on the road so I'm a little behind, but I grew up in the DFW area and Kidd Kraddick's death hit me really hard this week. I listened to him in Jr. High and High School before going away to school. For a while, the show opened up at 6 to a recording of his daughter saying, "it's 6 o'clock, here's my daddy!" It was adorable and that's how I woke up every morning. When DH and I got married and moved to Florida the first time, I got really homesick. I was on the way to yet another failed job interview and found him on the radio there. He was doing one of his Kidd's Kids broadcasts and I cried the entire way there. Those shows were always tearjerkers, but I also felt like I had a piece of home with me. He was a really great person who was always looking for ways to help someone else out. I sat in a VW dealership in Mobile on Monday listening to the rest of their morning crew remembering him and cried like a baby.

mta; I was pretty upset about Princess Diana as well, but I was only 12 I think. She was beautiful and caring and seemed like a great person, but I was a kid so I didn't know much about her. The hard part for me was that she was the same age as my mom, so I felt horrible for her sons. And weirdly, so was Kidd Kraddick. His daughter is a few years younger than me I think? I feel so sad for her.

kaleidoscopeEyes

Ronald Reagan

Mr. Rogers

Carrol O'Connor

Princess Diana

Kurt Cobain

MTA:  Oh yeah, and Yauch for me too.

Oh I just thought of Heath Ledger. That was a real shocker being so young and just while he was getting raves for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I skimmed the thread and didn't see mention of him...but sorry if I missed it - Jim Henson. I was 17 at the time...and I remember I was in art class when I found out. I cried a lot. He formed my childhood, and still being a child, or transitioning out of childhood anyway...it hit me hard for some reason.

One person did, but it bears repeating.  Such a master of creating content that was kid-friendly, educational, and still totally enjoyable by adults.  A whole genre of kids' programming owes its existence to him, and he had so much more he could have done.

kaleidoscopeEyes, I can't believe Mr. Rogers didn't come to mind for me, though I can't really call that one "gone too soon."  He did a TON of good for the world, and if ever the term "well-deserved retirement" was applicable, it was in his case.

...and yet, when the world really needed it, he was perfectly willing to get back on-camera and help soothe us.  I really can't think of anyone that has filled the void he left.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The only exception that comes to mind for me was Stevie Ray Vaughan. That one did get to me.

Oh yeah that was a big one. I had just seen him in concert about a month before it happened. SRV was awesome, cut down in his prime.

Dave

Sloooow.

Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy upset me, because I grew up watching their movies. Amy Winehouse is another one, I listened to a lot of her songs in my dramatic teen years. It was more of a "that really sucks", when I found out.

Kidd Kraddick though? I am seriously torn up over it, I realise how silly that is. I listened to their show since I got to the US over 6 years a go. We would listen to the show together on early morning drives. I listened to the show for years before I wanted to look up the voices, and saw how different they looked to how I imagined. Loved seeing them all on Dish Nation too, we DVR'd it every night. I don't know if it's that it is more intimate listening to voices on a radio, but it's heartbreaking.

I'm also having the same confusion I went through over Steve Job's death (no amount of money could save him). How didn't he know he had these issues with his heart? Or did he know? If I had crap loads of money, I'd be having full body scans every year.

Long story short; I'm really upset that Kidd Kraddick died.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy upset me, because I grew up watching their movies. Amy Winehouse is another one, I listened to a lot of her songs in my dramatic teen years. It was more of a "that really sucks", when I found out.

Kidd Kraddick though? I am seriously torn up over it, I realise how silly that is. I listened to their show since I got to the US over 6 years a go. We would listen to the show together on early morning drives. I listened to the show for years before I wanted to look up the voices, and saw how different they looked to how I imagined. Loved seeing them all on Dish Nation too, we DVR'd it every night. I don't know if it's that it is more intimate listening to voices on a radio, but it's heartbreaking.

I'm also having the same confusion I went through over Steve Job's death (no amount of money could save him). How didn't he know he had these issues with his heart? Or did he know? If I had crap loads of money, I'd be having full body scans every year.

My wife says she read somewhere (so that makes this, what, third-hand info?  Grain of salt...) that he had been having some mild chest pains the week before, and some nausea on Saturday.  So, while it's easy in hindsight to say he obviously should have gone in to have it looked at, dude was 52, not exactly the age that the big alarm bells would go off for those symptoms. Combine that with his busy schedule and the importance of the fundraiser, and it's understandable that he wouldn't drop everything.  Just a tragic but all-to-common case of an undiagnosed heart condition.

I'm kind of amazed at how troubled I am over this one, too.  I guess I keep thinking of all the people and organizations that he was sort of the linchpin (sp?) for, and how sad it is that probably, ultimately, all those balls he was juggling are probably going to fall to the ground.  Plenty of other people, famous and otherwise, die all the time, and that's why I feel a little silly about it, but I've been a little more bummed, too.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

SheCan

Plenty of other people, famous and otherwise, die all the time, and that's why I feel a little silly about it, but I've been a little more bummed, too.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason to feel silly for having a pang of sadness at anyone's death.  If I know them or in any way feel connected with another person, I feel a bit of loss.  It's about a connection with humanity to me.  Oh well, and as John Donne says

No Man Is An Island

No man is an island,
                        Entire of itself,
                        Every man is a piece of the continent,
                        A part of the main.
                        If a clod be washed away by the sea,
                        Europe is the less.
                        As well as if a promontory were.
                        As well as if a manor of thy friend's
                        Or of thine own were:
                        Any man's death diminishes me,
                        Because I am involved in mankind,
                        And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; 
                        It tolls for thee. 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I guess I'm the only one who has no idea who this guy is was.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

runlikeagirI

No, you're not.  I had never heard of him, either.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hugo Chavez and Kim Jong Il

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I heard about him on Sunday afternoon and had to get information from my son regarding who he was.  My son didn't really know him either.
                                I've actually started listening to the radio (his station) on my ride in to work starting Monday so I could learn more about this unknown celebrity.  I guess he was a decent guy.

(I updated my Facebook on Monday with a post similar to what you wrote).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life