Post-Marathon Bloat/Weight Gain (Read 153 times)

kyleighk

Hi everyone,

One of my biggest goals is to lose about 30 lbs this year. So far, I've gotten my weight down about 10 lbs since running the NYC Marathon in November (also just took 10 minutes off of that time)! However, when I stepped on the scale after running the New Orleans Rock N Roll Marathon, I was shocked to see that I had gained 8 of those lbs back. I was just wondering if anyone else experience some sort of immediate post-race weight gain. I think it's a temporary gain because as the week progresses, I feel a little less bloated and my weight is coming down. Pre-race, my new weight had "stabilized" for about 3 weeks.

Thanks!

GinnyinPA

I've only run two marathons, but I gained weight after both. I think in my case it was the effect of taper and post-race recovery, where I was running a lot less, but still eating as if I were in training.

If your weight gain is immediately post race, it probably is just that you are retaining water. When I have a hard effort, my body always holds on to water for a couple of days. It may be a result of dehydration or just muscle repair.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Yes!  It tends to last two or three days.

My story is that it is water weight as the body repairs/heals itself from the effects of the marathon.  However, it also seems to depend upon how much effort I put into the marathon (i.e., how close I come to running at maximum capacity).  I ran the Venice Marathon in October and just cruised through it because I was on holiday (still PR's but ran nowhere near the capacity I trained for).  Subsequent weight gain was about nil.

OTOH, races where I expended a good deal of energy and closer to my capacity showed anywhere from 5-8 pounds of weight gain in the first day or so after the race.  It cannot be accounted for by food.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

I normally gain about 5 to 8 lbs in the 3 to 4 months after a marathon.  During that time, I run reduced mileage and crave food.  After that time, the food craving goes away, my running mileage increases, and the weight starts to slowly come off.  I don't know why, and don't see any harm in it, so I just go with the flow.

kyleighk

Thanks for the replies! It's nice to know that I'm not doing something wrong and that other people go through the same situation.

Happy running everyone! Smile

Dream Maker

muscle damage from a hard effort like a marathon promotes water retention, and a very short term jump in weight.  Best not to weigh yourself the first several days post marathon.  If you aren't overeating it will go away by the next weekend.

DoppleBock

Yes

Weight is not fat

You damaged your body - It is doing what it needs to to recover.

Unless you ate 8 x 3500 calories = 28,000 right after the race - It is not fat gain.

5-8% change in weight from changes in hydration and glycogen can happen.  I have run 2 hours on a humid day drinking 70 ounces of water and lost 13 pounds ... I never though it was real fat loss ... just hydration.

My issue right after a marathon - I usually celebrate and add to the bloat and as another poster indicated - If I do not run a couple of days and eat more - drink beer - 10-15 pounds in not hard to gain ... again not fat ... weight.  It is really - really hard to gain more than 1 pounds per day of real fat.  You would need to comsume @ 5,500 calories as you likely burn @ 2,000 per day without a lot of activity.

When I was losing weight quickly - I would end up glycogen depleted.  The body normally stores 1# of glycogen with 8# of water = 9#.  When you deplete you will lose that weight (Not fat).  THen I would pig out for a day or 2 and get hyper loaded (The body can store @ 200% normal GLygogen) = 18 pounds.  So I would habe my weight swing in 2 days by 20# ... a few days after working hard again it would be back down 20#.

My point - Is you should take the time to understand why weight can change - But not to freak out and think it is fat.

Hi everyone,

One of my biggest goals is to lose about 30 lbs this year. So far, I've gotten my weight down about 10 lbs since running the NYC Marathon in November (also just took 10 minutes off of that time)! However, when I stepped on the scale after running the New Orleans Rock N Roll Marathon, I was shocked to see that I had gained 8 of those lbs back. I was just wondering if anyone else experience some sort of immediate post-race weight gain. I think it's a temporary gain because as the week progresses, I feel a little less bloated and my weight is coming down. Pre-race, my new weight had "stabilized" for about 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

CharlesEdwards

Spam