Running shoe charities...? (Read 933 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recall a long while back that someone recommended donating gently used running shoes to a charity--can anyone recall what places would be good to send retired shoes? I have several pair laying around that no longer suit my needs, but maybe someone else with duck feet could get good use out of. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone...? k

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

here are some programs: http://www.fingerlakesrunners.org/programs/shoes.html http://www.tanser.org/shoe.htm http://oneworldrunning.blogspot.com/2007/05/about-one-world-running.html
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.tanser.org/shoe.htm
          Thank you! I just e-mailed to find out how to mail to them. The first link mainly wanted shoes that have minimal wear (mine all have ~250 miles...they simply want shoes that can be worn for at least another 100 miles) and I think the last link just takes drop-offs in CO. k

~ Sarah Kay

If worse comes to worse, you could always donate to Goodwill. I asked one time when donating (sorta doing this regularly as I'm still unpacking/sorting), what they did with all the stuff that was still good but unsold. They said they send it to 3rd world countries. It was good to hear it didn't all go in landfills and someone might be using it!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That was my other thought...though I think I heard that Gazelle takes used shoes, too. I may e-mail them to ask, then bring down the 4 pair I have about ready to get rid of. k

~ Sarah Kay

I just took a whole bag full of running shoes (3 people worth) to our local running store - they take care of redistributing. Maybe check and see if your local running store does something like that.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just e-mailed a friend of mine who works for our nearest big running store (she works at one about 90 minutes away, the one I shop at is an hour away), so I'll find out from her if they take them. Heck, I pretty much even have the boxes for all of them. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, this sucks...I contacted the guy at tanser.org and he directed me back to the website to read this: "Latest update: The USPS has ceased to allow shoes to be shipped to Africa -- all freight must be air. This has increased our costs above five fold. We have been collecting shoes here in America and sending the shoes to Africa from our own funds. Also holding races in Africa and other initiatives (African running camp, sponsor soccer club, school fees) through our own costs. Right now we have to try and find some method of supporting the program, such as a post sponsor, as the air costs have escalated the program beyond our support. In the meantime we are sending the backlog we have 'slowly' by airmail. Thanks for thinking of us. We will probably have to ship a container, once or twice a year at present, and do not have storage facilities to date for saving everyone’s shoes until the date gets closer for our Bi-annual shoe drives. If you can afford to send airmail, your own collection -- please let me know. Donations for shipping are greatly welcomed!" What a shame. He said 8 pair would cost ~$90, so I would guess that the 4 I have would be at least $50. I'm going to look locally for someplace to donate them. k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

K, Many women's shelters have a "closet" for gently worn items that the participants can select clothes from...Also, any halfway houses, particularly faith-based, will typically have a need for used women's clothes/shoes. You might check that out as well... Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's a really great suggestion, Lynn. And that reminds me...we have a women's charity that is connected with our area Girls On The Run chapter--thanks for making me think of that! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

That's a really great suggestion, Lynn. And that reminds me...we have a women's charity that is connected with our area Girls On The Run chapter--thanks for making me think of that! Smile k
                          Brilliant!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mmm...beer.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay