NYRR 4-miler (Read 347 times)

dork.major dork.

Hi all, Quick race report. This was my 2nd race, ever. And my first was a half marathon: Woke up at my sister's in Brooklyn, felt some intestinal distress and thought: "It's early; running is a bad idea." Reminded myself that only I put pressure on myself to run or run hard, and decided to stick to my 30:00 minute goal. We drove to Manhattan and parked and met up with friends and hit the port-o-potties. Separated into corrals, leaving my sister with a tote bag of stuff. I hopped into my corral, and looked around at all the people who looked very fit and fast. Gun went off and we all sort of started to jog to the front. Mile1: Mainly downhill, mainly dodging people, felt good. 7:43 by watch Mile2: Still dodging people, picking them off, started to feel the effort. 7:12 by watch Mile3: Included the two "hills" which were longer but not very steep, so fine, felt a twinge in my hamstring/lower back told myself it was nothing I hadn't felt before so no reason to slow down. 7:38 Mile 4: Mainly downhill, surrounded by tall long-legged things I thought were liable to stampede me. Reminded myself that hills were "free speed" and focused on turnover. Felt like I was going to puke at the end but fine after a banana and some water, and totally fine after about twenty minutes when my SIL and friend came in. 6:52 Total (chip time): 29:27 Big grin Take homes: Short races are great, but you never spread out and you barely warm up. I should learn how long 800 m is so that when race officials yell out that that is how much we have left, I can adjust the gas pedal appropriately. I would get up an hour earlier to go do something that fun. Central Park is beautiful.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Hey sounds great! You decided to just run the race I take it? (weren't you worried about running w/ sister and friends?) Anyway great job on the time!
      Heroes never die. They just reload.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, that went pretty well, after all! Glad your tummy held up. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay