Shoes and Washing (Read 687 times)

xhristopher

Any harm in removing the inserts and laces and tossing them in the cold cycle then letting them air dry? 

I don't hesitate to do this with retired shoes but am wary of doing this with shoes in my active rotation. Thoughts? Experiences?

Slo

I haven't had any problems doing so.

I do usually reserve washing them until after retirement but I do some muddy cross country runs and the only way to stop turning my socks black, even months later, is to wash the shoes. But I also run my shoes up to 700 - 800 miles. Which apparently your not supposed to do.

Prince of Fatness

Any harm in removing the inserts and laces and tossing them in the cold cycle then letting them air dry? 

I don't hesitate to do this with retired shoes but am wary of doing this with shoes in my active rotation. Thoughts? Experiences?

If my shoes get real dirty I just take the inserts out and blast them with a garden hose.  All that you really need is a good rinse in most cases, and just plain water should not hurt anything.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Why?

I'm only wearing them 3-4 months, how bad can they get?  Is it smell or just you don't like the dirt.  Either way personally I could care less.  Maybe the people around me do.

xhristopher

Why?

I'm only wearing them 3-4 months, how bad can they get?  Is it smell or just you don't like the dirt.  Either way personally I could care less.  Maybe the people around me do.

I'm concerned the extra weight from the dirt is slowing me down. Well, no. Not really. They are just dirty as hell. Throwing them in the washer is easy enough. I just don't want to ruin good shoes w/ less than 100 miles on them. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I just learned this lesson. I still had some sand/grit in those shoes from a previous run. It took a good vacuuming to get it out. A good washing would have done the same but they didn't have time to dry before my race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If my shoes get real dirty I just take the inserts out and blast them with a garden hose.  All that you really need is a good rinse in most cases, and just plain water should not hurt anything.

This is what I do and works fine.  I'd be afraid of damaging the washing machine by putting shoes in it.

And nice race PerfesserR!

TammyinGP

ditto on the garden hose method. works fine for me, then I put them in the sun to dry. . . . when we have sun that is.

Tammy

chloe888

spam

My shoes get washed when I run through knee deep water or in the rain.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm concerned the extra weight from the dirt is slowing me down.

+1

I've heard the foam cushioning might take some damage with the application of water -- but I don't think there is really evidence of this if you are not running in them soggy.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I haven't done it very often but have washed both mine

and my husband's with no problem.

His being a more cushioned

type shoe and mine more minimal.  Air dried.

Didn't  seem to have harm either type at all.

Used Spray and Wash as well as detergent.

Some times that red dirt just has to go.

steph  

kcam

I wash my shoes when they start to get really nasty.  Just because I don't like the smell and Ilike em to look all clean.  Utility sink, brush, water, air dry.

Walk-Jogger

I don't usually wash my running shoes unless they start to stink and DW starts making remarks; in that case, they go in the shower with me, and I use a little J&J baby shampoo to lather them up. It helps that I have a dozen or so different pairs of shoes, so I rarely run in the same pair twice in a row...

Retired &  Loving It