10 miles race after Marathon (Read 458 times)

Hallo, One short question, on June the 20th I'll be running my first Marathon. Assuming I survive the experience, two weeks later there's a very nice 10 miles race in Bruges (Belgium), do you think it makes sense to join that race? Not that I'd expect to do a PR, but it's meant to be some kind of "enjoyable experience". Thanks in advance Rafa

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

I ran a ten miler a week after my marathon, and wrote up a race report for it. I hadn't run Manchester all out, I was dragging myself along from the mile 23 marker to mile 24 but felt strong at the finish. I did some walking after the finish, and more that evening. I also took an ice bath for 10 minutes, that is NOT pleasant but I think it helps. I felt good on the day after the marathon, and had no problems at all going up or down stairs. My training log the week of 11/4/07 shows the recovery runs I did. You've got two weeks of recovery, so if you are feeling good in the days following your marathon and plan to run it easy I'd say go for it. The secrets to enjoying the recovery run are meeting a fellow RA member, and running it easy. If you can't find any other RA members in Belgium, you have a little more than two months to work on importing one. Wink Best to you on your marathon Rafa, I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.