How long does it take to get back into shape? (Read 356 times)

Just a dude.

What's really fun is taking 20 years off, and then trying to get back into shape. That has been a very long road for me. I think it might go past persistence into stubbornness... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

What's really fun is taking 20 years off, and then trying to get back into shape. That has been a very long road for me. I think it might go past persistence into stubbornness... Wink

-Kelly

Kelly I quit running 16 years ago when I was expecting my 3rd child. Back then I had a 5 min mile & easily ran 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week just for the fun of running. I just started running again last summer & again this summer. I still love running and my times are finally becoming a little less embarrassing, but it's hard work now. Once upon a time it was all fun & games. In your experience will it ever be easy again?

Just a dude.

Kelly I quit running 16 years ago when I was expecting my 3rd child. Back then I had a 5 min mile & easily ran 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week just for the fun of running. I just started running again last summer & again this summer. I still love running and my times are finally becoming a little less embarrassing, but it's hard work now. Once upon a time it was all fun & games. In your experience will it ever be easy again?

I don't know.

I was fast in college. I am not nearly as fast now. But, there are days that are easy and smooth. Where I actually feel like a runner. There are days where I can put aside what I used to do, and realize that what I am doing now is pretty good. I've had days that felt really easy but the clock said they were pretty quick.

I think it is relative. The chances of me ever running the times I did in college are probably very close to 0. I can be happy today with a strong 12 mile run if I don't get frustrated that the time per mile is a minute or more slower than it was.

There was a track workout not to long ago where I walked away saying "Wow. My legs. They DO remember. It just might still be in there somewhere..."

I think getting back to where you can run 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week for fun is there. It might take a year or more. But the opportunity is there. I don't know enough about your situation to know if that 5 minute mile is still there. I am told that talent never goes away. The only thing to do is go out and try and see what happens.

Good Luck!

-Kelly

NHLA

I think you should start feeling better about your running soon.

You were only out one mo. and you're back up to 30 mpw already.

Just keep it up. Its hard for long time runners who remember how they used to run.

You have to forget about the past and act like you are starting over.

endlessrun

I don't think you should lose that much of your running fitness in just a month.  Are you sure your hip is fully recovered?  I would guess the first things that would wane would be the ones that are the hardest to attain: speed, hill climbing ability, and endurance.  If you're feeling good now, continue with your workouts.  Do hill repeats, speed intervals, increase your long runs a little each time- the usual stuff- and you should get back to where you were or even surpass that.

endlessrun

-Kelly

You've got my vote of confidence!  That takes a lot of fortitude to start running again after so long but, you know, it's probably the healthiest thing you can do for your body.

The title of this thread reminds me of a funny guy I used to work with. He would come to the fitness center often, but carried a little extra weight on him. He would sometimes were a shirt that said, "Round IS a shape!"

That shirt was funnier than his santa shirt that said, "Does this shirt make me look fat?"

No more marathons

I don't know.

I was fast in college. I am not nearly as fast now. But, there are days that are easy and smooth. Where I actually feel like a runner. There are days where I can put aside what I used to do, and realize that what I am doing now is pretty good. I've had days that felt really easy but the clock said they were pretty quick.

I think it is relative. The chances of me ever running the times I did in college are probably very close to 0. I can be happy today with a strong 12 mile run if I don't get frustrated that the time per mile is a minute or more slower than it was.

There was a track workout not to long ago where I walked away saying "Wow. My legs. They DO remember. It just might still be in there somewhere..."

I think getting back to where you can run 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week for fun is there. It might take a year or more. But the opportunity is there. I don't know enough about your situation to know if that 5 minute mile is still there. I am told that talent never goes away. The only thing to do is go out and try and see what happens.

Good Luck!

-Kelly

I was in this position 7 years ago.  I stopped running in 1986 and started back in 2008.  Like you, I realize that there is zero chance of hitting the times I did back then (5K PR of 16:53 then, now it's 21:02) and so I concentrate on hitting, or bettering my age graded percents.  Gives me something reasonable to shoot for.

Oh, and I had a couple of failures at at BQ back then, but got it this time around.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Just a dude.

I was in this position 7 years ago.  I stopped running in 1986 and started back in 2008.  Like you, I realize that there is zero chance of hitting the times I did back then (5K PR of 16:53 then, now it's 21:02) and so I concentrate on hitting, or bettering my age graded percents.  Gives me something reasonable to shoot for.

Oh, and I had a couple of failures at at BQ back then, but got it this time around.

I would love to get back to my age graded times even. My best time was 3:52 1500 at age 21. That grades out to about 89%. That would be a 15:45ish 5k or a 4:12ish 1500 today... Sign me up... Big grin

-Kelly

No more marathons

I would love to get back to my age graded times even. My best time was 3:52 1500 at age 21. That grades out to about 89%. That would be a 15:45ish 5k or a 4:12ish 1500 today... Sign me up... Big grin

-Kelly

Ha, what planet are you from?   That kind of time is not for we mere mortals.  Even in my younger days my best times were in the mid 70 percents.  My goal is to lose fitness a little slower than I age so that by 65 or 66 I might be able to get that elusive 80.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Ha, what planet are you from?   That kind of time is not for we mere mortals.  Even in my younger days my best times were in the mid 70 percents.  My goal is to lose fitness a little slower than I age so that by 65 or 66 I might be able to get that elusive 80.  

Kelly put up some impressive times in his younger days. The beauty of age-grading is comparison of past to present.  With consistently smart training, it is possible to reach the age graded times of your youth.